Aussie Readers discussion

Festivals, Blogs, Awards, Media > Australia's Best Book Blog Sites!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Have you seen the Australian Book Blogger Directory? It's a great place to find other Aussies who are mad about books of all genres. Here's what they say about themselves:
"This directory has been started with the intention of creating a place on the internet where you can find other Australian book bloggers who either share a similar taste in books to you, or to find other book bloggers who live near you with a view to starting some book blogger meet ups.

The aims are three-fold.

The first is to have a comprehensive list of Australian book bloggers.

The second will be to try to set up some book blogger meet ups, possibly timed to coincide with other literary events. Who knows, one day we could even aim for a national book blogger event!

The third will be to eventually try to raise profiles of book blogging with Australian publishers.

Looks like fun. If you write a book blog that you'd like to talk about, post on this thread. If you love someone else's blog and want to talk it up here's the place to do it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Aussie Readers!

I am an Aussie and host the blog Booklover Book Reviews and the Aussie Author Reading Challenge 2010.

We currently have 50 participants signed up to this challenge and those participants have provided links to more than 100 reviews of books they have read by Aussie Authors so far this year ( Aussie Author Challenge 2010 Book Review List).

The challenge has 2 levels: TOURIST and FAIR DINKUM. TOURIST level is a commitment to reading 3 books by 3 different Aussie Authors by 31 December 2010, while FAIR DINKUM is a commitment to reading 8 books (min 5 different Aussie Authors). It's not too late to join in the fun!

If however you already have your plate full with other reading commitments for 2010, I will be hosting the Aussie Author Challenge again next year also.

message 3: by Mandapanda (last edited Aug 20, 2010 01:38PM) (new)

Mandapanda Hi Joanne, I love your blog! I've signed up for the Tourist Level challenge. Should have plenty of time for three books by the end of the year. My books are:
Tomorrow, When the War Began, Wicked Little Game and True Spirit: The Aussie Girl Who Took on the World. I'd love to make your Aussie Author Challenge one of the events for Aussie Readers next year.
True Spirit The Aussie Girl Who Took on the World by Jessica Watson Wicked Little Game by Christine Wells Tomorrow, When the War Began (The Tomorrow Series, #1) by John Marsden

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have finished Joanne's Aussie Authors challenge for this year but am still reading Aussie authors...maybe there'll be a higher level next year - bonza - 12 books?

At my blog I talk about crime fiction and try hard to focus on Aussie authors as much as possible (would do more if it weren't so expensive to buy books locally)

http://reactionstoreading.com/

message 5: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda It's a great blog Bernadette and the graphics are really eye catching. I'm glad to hear you liked Peter Temple's book Truth and it's really interesting what you said about being out of step with recent award winners. I often think it's a case of award presenters being out of step with what makes good reading. I'm going to read Peter's book next I think. Maybe I should have gone for Joanne's Fair Dinkum level after all. :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I am definitely considering beefing up the levels for the Aussie Author Reading Challenge 2011. I will still keep one low level to ensure it remains accessible given the aim is to encourage those who haven't read Aussie Authors yet to give them a try, but I have been so impressed by the many prolific readers out there I was also thinking around a dozen books might be a better target (one per month). If you have any other suggestions, just let me know! :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the nice comments about my blog Mandy

Joanne I think a nice round dozen would be a good target. I will certainly sign up for that as it'll give me a real push.

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 1732 comments This is a good blog if you're looking for Australian crime fiction:

AustCrimeFiction

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Markham (Amanda467) | 4 comments Hi Mandy,

Thanks for sending me a message and an invite. I'd like to encourage other Australian book bloggers to join Marg's Australian Book Blogger directory if they haven't already AND....

...to give serious thought to having our OWN book blogger convention next year in conjunction with one of the writers' festivals.

I would love to start organising such an event (although I've never organised a convention before!).

message 10: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda What a great idea! You really go for the big picture! I'm not a blogger but I would certainly do everything I could to advertise and get the news out on this site. Plus I'm hoping to attend the Melbourne Writer's festival and the Australian Romance Writer's conference next year. Are there other festivals around? I contacted the Australian Book Blogger directory after I started this thread but haven't heard back from them yet. I'd love to hear what they think. :)

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna | 9 comments It's great that you're supporting Aussie authors in this way. I'm both a reader (manage 150 books a year usually) and an Aussie author with 50 novels published, so I love to see what you're doing from both angles.

I couldn't restrict myself to only reading 8 Aussie author books a year, though. I love reading too much, and there are some great Aussie authors.

It'd be nice to see more popular fiction books mentioned, though. I don't read literary fiction often, as it's usually too miserable for my taste. I do require a happy ending.

Two of my best reads this year (and my husband loved them too) were 'Dark Country' and 'As Darkness Falls' by new Aussie author Bronwyn Parry.

Happy reading, everyone!

Anna Jacobs

message 12: by Marg (new)

Marg (MargReads) | 86 comments Sorry about not getting back to you through Australian Book Blogger Directory. I am a bit behind there. Might try and do some tonight, or tomorrow, if I get time!

Marg *feeling guilty now*

Kat at Book Thingo (bookthingo) | 26 comments Hi, Mandy, sorry for coming late to this party! I finished Joanne's challenge a few months ago and I'm looking to read yet more books by Australian authors. As Anna said, there are a lot of them who write popular fiction (my favourite being romance). I do love Bronwyn Parry's books and I just got a book by Helene Young, who I've been wanting to try for ages.

And finally, some quick blog pimping. :-) I blog at Book Thingo, a romance-biased blog with a focus on Australian authors and local book events.

message 14: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Thanks Kat, I've visited your blog. It's really amazing, full of reviews, info and links and worth checking out!

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I think it's fabulous so many avid readers are getting out there and blogging about it.

My blog is: http://mandythebookworm.wordpress.com/ and it's mainly book reviews, interviews with authors, what I am reading now, etc. I'm enjoying it so far.

Look forward to visiting the blogs already mentioned in this thread.

message 16: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments I came across this great little blog site relating to childrens books.

http://kids-book-review.blogspot.com/

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a great blog site. Well spotted Dee-Ann. Makes me wish my kids were younger. :)

message 18: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Just wanted to let you know about ANZ Litlovers LitBlog. It's for lovers of Australian and New Zealand literary fiction. I stumbled across it researching some Aussie books and can thoroughly recommend it. Plus I'm sure the author is on Goodreads, I've seen her cute photo about.:)

message 19: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out I signed up at the Australian Book Blogger Directory.
I think Iv'e visited most of the blogs mentioned here already.
You can find mine at http://www.bookdout.wordpress.com

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sorcha-sidhe) I belong to the Australian Book Blogger Directory. My blog is totally lame compared to many others - definitely something anyone who loves books should check out!
~S.

Sam Still Reading | 4 comments My blog certainly wouldn't come under the title of 'best', but I just write what I think about what I read: http://samstillreading.wordpress.com

message 22: by Mandapanda (last edited Oct 12, 2010 10:51PM) (new)

Mandapanda Here is a list of the top 50 blogs by Australian writers:

The Top 50 Australian Blogs for Writers

message 23: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out Thanks Mandy

message 24: by Marg (new)

Marg (MargReads) | 86 comments Just wanted to let you all know that the Australian Book Blogger Directory is up to date (or at least it was a couple of days ago!) and we now have just under 100 blogs listed, so if you are looking for something new to read, maybe check some of these out.

Sam Still Reading | 4 comments Excellent- thanks Marg! Lots to read today!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooops I got distracted reading blogs rather than contributing to the discussions. :P

message 27: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3074 comments Ditto Gail :)

My blog: http://jesstheworldinside.blogspot.com/
Ive only started recently...Its got a focus on YA fiction, though there is the occasional 'grown-up' book thrown in.

message 28: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (Caffeine_Chapters) | 21 comments My blog: http://caffeineandchapters.blogspot.com/

I'm happy to swap links on my site.

message 29: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Thanks Booklover23 & Maxine for your blogs!!
Wow Jessica, you have a bright future indeed my young friend, ambition to be a writer and even starting a wonderful blog like your's, well done!! You must have very proud parents:)

message 30: by ★ Jess (last edited Dec 28, 2010 04:02AM) (new)

★ Jess  | 3074 comments Maxine, I love that blogs name, and I enjoyed reading your posts. I am now a follower.

And thank you so much Carmel! I certainly wouldn't call the blog wonderful, but I appreciate it. A lot :)

message 31: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Pleasure's all mine Jessica!!

message 32: by Mandapanda (last edited Jan 05, 2011 05:02PM) (new)

Mandapanda Check out this great blog: BWS tips button

Literally jam-packed with writing, reviews and much much more.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (anzlitlovers) Mandy wrote: "Just wanted to let you know about ANZ Litlovers LitBlog. It's for lovers of Australian and New Zealand literary fiction. I stumbled across it researching some Aussie books and can thoroughly recomm..."
Thank you, Mandy, for your kind comments about my blog! I shall tell my mum you like my photo too LOL.

message 34: by Iris (last edited Jan 06, 2011 02:53PM) (new)

Iris Blobel (Iris-B) | 125 comments Mandy wrote: "Check out this great blog:

Literally jam-packed with writing, reviews and much much more."

Mandy .... I've been following this blog for a small while now and it's really really good !!!

I've got my own little blog if someone would like to have a look; it's more or less the books I introduce during my radio programme and a few other thoughts that come to mind!

My Blog: iris-b.blogspot.com

Happy new year everyone ..... :-)

message 35: by Carmel (last edited Jan 06, 2011 03:48PM) (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Maxine, Lisa & Iris, I'm going to follow all of your blogs when I get a spare moment they look great. Iris, you'll just down the road from me in country Vic!! The pic you have in the background, where is that if you don't mind me asking?
Cheers

message 36: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (Iris-B) | 125 comments Carmel - i've changed the background so often and I cannot find it in my photos so I assume it's a blogger template and most definately from Ireland :-) cos that's my favourite topic !!!
Thanks for following -

Are you in Melb ?

message 37: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Iris, in Bendigo:)
Your background pic is lovely anyway:)

message 38: by Iris (new)

Iris Blobel (Iris-B) | 125 comments Thanks!

Bendigo ?? might have to ask you to give me a visit next time i'm scheduled for an "english" radio program so we can chat "books" :-)

message 39: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Sure Iris:)

message 40: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (Caffeine_Chapters) | 21 comments This thread has been a great idea, there are some wonderful blogs out there and each so different from the other. Good work every one :)

message 41: by Maxine (last edited Jan 07, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

Maxine (Caffeine_Chapters) | 21 comments ★ Jessica ★ wrote: "Maxine, I love that blogs name, and I enjoyed reading your posts. I am now a follower.

And thank you so much Carmel! I certainly wouldn't call the blog wonderful, but I appreciate it. A lot :)"

Thank you for the follow Jessica :), I've had a sneaky peak at your blog and you've done a lovely job.

message 42: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I subscribe to the Alien Onion blog which is written by the editors of Aussie Publishing company Allen & Unwin. One of the quirkier things they write are 'open letters' to various inanimate objects (tools of their trade or book paraphenalia etc).

They've just written some letters to the "Find and Replace" function you find in any word processing documents. I think the letters are funny and poetic and thought you might enjoy reading them:

Open letters: a tale of love, found and replaced

Dear Find and Replace, mi amore,

I love you, I love you, I love you almighty, I wish your pyjamas were next to my nightie.*
I love it when you strip the double spaces and the strange multiple tabs from my sentences and paragraphs.
It makes me weak at the knees when you take a word I don't want and turn in into something else entirely. Something better and stronger and bolder.
It's magical between us.
I hope you won't think me too forward if I say I want to REPLACE ALL.

Love unto infinity,
Your editor xxx
---------------------------------------

Dear Find and Replace,

YOU ARE DROPPED. You are unfollowed and unfriended.
You have behaved ABOMINABLY.
You ought to have known that those words you substituted were not what I wanted. You have made a mess of everything.
Your wilful misunderstanding of my wishes has hurt me deeply.
I think it's best that we have no further contact.

Editor
---------------------------------------

Dear Find and Replace,

I am now willing to concede that I played some part in the recent ... unpleasantness that occurred between us.
I can see that some things I said were a little ambiguous. I ought to have been clearer.
I would like to resume our friendship - but I hope you understand when I say it has to be on a strictly professional basis. We can't let ourselves get carried away.

Kind regards,
Editor

P.S. *Now don't be mistaken, now don't be misled. I mean on the clothes line and not in the bed.

message 43: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Mandy wrote: "I subscribe to the Alien Onion blog which is written by the editors of Aussie Publishing company Allen & Unwin. One of the quirkier things they write are 'open letters' to various inanimate objects..."

Very funny Mandy!!

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann Massey (FlyingFinish) | 52 comments Amanda wrote: "Hi Mandy,

Thanks for sending me a message and an invite. I'd like to encourage other Australian book bloggers to join Marg's Australian Book Blogger directory if they haven't already AND....

...t..."

Sounds interesting - I'm going to check it out. Impressed with the site Carmel recommended - Alien onion blog - I liked the tips on the short cut to blurb writing.
http://annmasseyauthor.net/

message 45: by Carmel (new)

Carmel (CarmelF) | 5479 comments Ann, I won't take the credit that belongs to Mandy, thanks anyway:)

message 46: by Maja (new)

Maja | 13 comments Hi all,
I've just started my blog http://tempestthoughts.blogspot.com where you will (SOON) find some book reviews, some news about my writing endeavours, events, etc. I love discovering great Aussie authors and even more great local (in this case,Western Australian) authors. The choice of genre - speculative fiction. It is just so much fun reading about kraaken and sirens in Hobart or werevolves in Melbourne.
I'll certainly be joining some of the blogs and challenges listed here.
Cheers
Maja

message 47: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Good luck with your blog Maja! I love Specfic and it's difficult to get news on new aussie releases in that genre. You're right... reading about krakens in Hobart and werewolves in Melbourne is fantastic. I will certainly be checking out your blog to look for any Aussie recommendations you have!:)

message 48: by Ann (new)

Ann Massey (FlyingFinish) | 52 comments Mandy wrote: "Good luck with your blog Maja! I love Specfic and it's difficult to get news on new aussie releases in that genre. You're right... reading about krakens in Hobart and werewolves in Melbourne is fan..."

Congratulations on your blog ... I've bookmarked it.

message 49: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd February's Calamity's Corner is now available for free download. Contact calam@live.com.au to read about feature writer, Christine London and her first romantic suspense novel, Shadows Steal the Light.
Columnist LJ Robeerts, Rosalie Skinner, Wendy & Jacquie Rogers write about books & movies. Edith Parzefall, crime writer & Book Doctor visits historic Olinda in Brazil and hints how to avoid the Tourist Police & Guides. And much more.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I have my own rambling book blog site but with a friend & fellow book blogger have started a new one that is focused solely on crime fiction written by Australian authors or set in Australia. It's called Fair Dinkum Crime and has reviews, news, author spotlights, links to sites of interest, interviews with authors etc. Feel free to check us out for recommendations of Australian crime fiction to read and if you review Australian crime fiction let us know via the contact link

« previous 1 3 4