Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

Terry McMillan's "Writers Worth Reading" List

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments On her website, Terry McMillan has assembled a list of writers that she considers worth reading. The list includes several of the authors we have read here at LFPC as well as many other authors of literary fiction. Take a look and see what you think - did she make good selections? (A few of our group members are on the list.)

http://www.terrymcmillan.com/view/wri...

message 2: by ColumbusReads (new)

ColumbusReads (coltrane01) | 3675 comments Mod
Nice list of authors.... It's great she included some LGBT authors (Sedaris, E. Lynn, Kenan etc...) in light of the highly public disputes she had with her ex.   

message 3: by Wilhelmina (new)

Wilhelmina Jenkins | 2049 comments You're right, Columbus, I hadn't thought of that!

message 4: by jo (new)

jo | 1031 comments wow, what a scary thing she did. this is the way to make enemies. i hope she didn't include/exclude people based on the politics of friendship and influence, especially since all (yes?) of these people are alive. it would have been good if she had said "writers i like" or, if she really wanted to say "worth reading," if she had explained what is her criterion for worthiness. like, just among PoC, how about percival everett? chimamanda adichie? SHERMAN ALEXIE????

message 5: by Fodowo (new)

Fodowo | 8 comments Wilhelmina wrote: "On her website, Terry McMillan has assembled a list of writers that she considers worth reading. The list includes several of the authors we have read here at LFPC as well as many other authors of ..."

I read the anthology she put together a long time ago, "Breaking Ice". I liked every author in the collection and read all of the other works by those authors. I was so pleased to be introduced to them. Therefore, I look forward to exploring the authors that I am not familiar with who are on this new list. I stopped reading McMillan's work after "..Stella. . ." which I could not finish because I thought it was so bad.