Bookreaders of the Pacific Northwest discussion

Books Set in the Northwest

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Hutchinson (thursamaday) | 3 comments I just finished reading "Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet" and I found it really interesting. As someone who didn't grow up in the Pacific Northwest, It was interesting to get a feel for how Seattle was. Wondering if anyone else knows has some good books set in the NW.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

All of Kate Wilhelm's detective novels are set in Eugene, Oregon. S.M. Stirling has a series set in the Willamette Valley (primarily Corvallis and Portland, Oregon).

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Martin | 1 comments "The Highest Tide" by Jim Lynch is a great one...

Martina the Book Fairy (book_fairy) | 2 comments One of my bookclubs just finished reading Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. It's set mostly in Seattle & Snohomish, WA and I really enjoyed it (though it was a teeny bit Lifetime Movie-ish). :-)

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike Chinakos | 2 comments I've always loved reading books set here in the Pac NW, that's why the setting of my novel, Hollywood Cowboys is in Portland, Oregon.

Check out the Hollywood Cowboys here:

http://mikechinakosauthor.com/index.html

message 6: by Betsy (last edited Apr 11, 2012 03:02PM) (new)

Betsy | 24 comments New member here. Is anyone else still active?

Surpised at no mention of Border Songs, which got a fair amount of attention a few months ago.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 6 comments Hi Betsy!

Oooh, I wanted to love Border Songs more than I did. Did you enjoy it?

message 8: by Betsy (last edited Jan 14, 2012 10:53PM) (new)

Betsy | 24 comments Actually, I haven't finished it. Got a little ways in and I was bored. I'm hoping to get back to it, however. My sister and several other people loved it and strongly recommended it.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin | 4 comments Hey, I still read new posts, so I guess I'm still active?

message 10: by T (new)

T (twoo) Hi...Anyone out there?

Some local authors that I'm aware of, some already mentioned, include...

Jamie Ford (Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet, plus he has a new one due out this summer I think?)

Garth Stein (The Art of Racing in the Rain, and others)

Ridley Pearson (the older books is a series on Lou Boldt, especially enjoyed The Art of Deception which featured the Pioneer Square underground).

Bharti Kirchner (ex-IBMer, GR author, foodwriter as well as fiction, newest book is a murder mystery just released in paperback).

Earl Emerson (fireman)

Neil Low (SPD, have not yet read any of his yet, but want to)

GM Ford

Kristin Hannah (kind of chick lit?)

Ken Mochizuki (usually Japanese stories)

That's all I can think of for the moment....

- T

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (bkmadn) | 3 comments There is an unbelievable number of authors living in WA.

Here are some titles that might interest you:

Where Lilacs Still Bloom by Jane Kirkpatrick

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin (due out in August 2012)

Violets of March by Sarah Jio (or any title)

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson

The Winemaker's Daughter by Timothy Egan

Anything by Sherman Alexie

Enjoy!

message 12: by T (new)

T (twoo) Forgot about David Guterson...Liked Snow Falling on Cedars and meant to re-read it, but didn't care for the others.

Have read one of Sherman Alexie's and haven't gone back for any more....

Discovered that Jon Talton who does the business news in the Seattle Times is an author as well....Meant to give one of his a try....

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) You guys missed Patricia Briggs! Her Mercy Thompson series about werewolves, vampires and the fae is set in the Tri-Cities!! Crazy, huh?? I live in Kennewick and I love this series!

message 14: by T (new)

T (twoo) Forgot about Carol Casella....local doctor.

Chuck Pahlaniuk is from Washington, but his books aren't set in Washington I don't think....I read a couple of them, really weird stuff....

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (bkmadn) | 3 comments actually Pahlaniuk is from Portland, Oregon.

message 16: by T (new)

T (twoo) Michelle wrote: "actually Pahlaniuk is from Portland, Oregon."

He is now, but he was born in Pasco....

message 17: by T (new)

T (twoo) Oh yeah, there's the J.A. Jance series about a Seattle cop.

And Ann Rule, too.

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy Bradley (fractaldragon) | 11 comments Kirsten wrote: "You guys missed Patricia Briggs! Her Mercy Thompson series about werewolves, vampires and the fae is set in the Tri-Cities!! Crazy, huh?? I live in Kennewick and I love this series!"

I adore Patrticia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, and yes it's set in the Tri-Cities. I've been down to that part of WA once, to go to Radcon, a very good science fiction convention in Pasco.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy Bradley (fractaldragon) | 11 comments Lauren wrote: "I just finished reading "Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet" and I found it really interesting. As someone who didn't grow up in the Pacific Northwest, It was interesting to get a feel for how..."

I met the author a while back when he was doing a release signing at Costco! I really like the book, it give us a wonderful glimpse into a rough part of American history, and I learned a lot about what is now called the International District in Seattle.

message 20: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Amy wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "You guys missed Patricia Briggs! Her Mercy Thompson series about werewolves, vampires and the fae is set in the Tri-Cities!! Crazy, huh?? I live in Kennewick and I love this series!..."

I love it!! It's the only book I've ever seen set here. River Marked even went to Maryhill in Goldendale. Very cool being able to visualize everything.

message 21: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 24 comments Three recent novels set in Seattle:

http://crosscut.com/2012/08/24/mossba...

message 22: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 6 comments Thanks, Betsy. I'll check those 3 out--haven't read any of them. It's been a while since I visited here, and I love seeing all the suggestions that have been added. I'm (always) looking for the next book to fall in love with; time to go local!

And I'll add "Kidnapping the Lorax," which is set in an unnamed forest in the PNW:

"East Coast politics meet West Coast idealism when three young environmentalists kidnap the U.S. Secretary of the Interior Lacy Thurman--code-named "The Lorax"--and take her to the Pacific Northwest woods. Their goal is to re-educate her through tasks designed to open her eyes to the wonders of the forest, so that upon her return to Washington, DC she will be an advocate for the land. But their well-laid plans don't anticipate Lacey's formidable will."

Yes, I quite like this book (I wrote it).

message 23: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 24 comments I'm not really that interested in Kidnapping the Lorax -- though I hope it's successful -- but I did buy Passionate Slugs & Hollywood Frogs: An Uncommon Field Guide to Northwest Backyards. I'm especially fascinated by slugs; I even have some slug earrings, slime trail and all.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (bkmadn) | 3 comments there is a new book coming out called Wilderness. It is set in the PNW during the Civil War. I forget the authors name right now.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Has anyone read "Folly"? I don't think Lorrie King is from the Northwest but it takes place in the San Juans and is wonderful.
For all you gardeners Ann Lovejoy's many books " The Border in Bloom" is a good one.

Philip Margolian from Portland has written some good mysteries.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments David Guterson was my daughter-in-law's teacher in highschool. Said he is wonderful. Loved both Snow Falling on Cedars and The Other.

message 27: by T (new)

T (twoo) I think I read all of D. Guterson's except for the latest one, and I have to there was one or two that was really hard for me to get through...Don't recall the names, doubt that they're even listed in my "read" list....I keep wanting to like them, to support a local author, but boy were they hard to finish.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Could not get through "East of the Mountains." by Guterson . Loved "The Other" because it talked about Reed College which was a block from my house growing up and I was there all the time. Unfortunately not a genius so could not get in.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Has anyone brought up Jonathan Evison "All About Lulu?"

Also I do like Greg Olsen's books. His last young adult book was excellent. No I do not remember the name!!

message 30: by Patricia (last edited Sep 03, 2012 09:45AM) (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 6 comments Betsy--slug earrings! Ha! I imagine them dangling from your ears on their slime trails. Thanks for picking up "Passionate Slugs..." I think that series of nonfiction books are more interesting to those who have naturalist leanings, while "Kidnapping the Lorax" might appeal more to environmentalists. At any rate, I hope you enjoy the read!

message 31: by T (new)

T (twoo) Elizabeth wrote: "Could not get through "East of the Mountains." by Guterson . Loved "The Other" because it talked about Reed College which was a block from my house growing up and I was there all the time. Unfortun..."

I think I had trouble with the "Our Lady of the Forest" or something like that. Been a long time, think I also had problems with "The Other".

Guess I do better with thrillers & mysteries....

message 32: by T (new)

T (twoo) Hit Half-Price Books last week and scored a couple of hardback Earl Emersons. Opened them up at home to find they'd been autographed!

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments You lucky!!! My Half-Price Books is not very close and Third Place Books is alot farther..

My real treasure is Michael Critchton's picture with me and his autograph for "Prey" ( although not my favorite book of his).

message 34: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Fontana (pwrpen) | 4 comments Pittock: The Voice of Portland, will be released soon.

Pittock is a little man with BIG ideas. Walking the Oregon Trail barefoot in 1853, arriving in Oregon penniless, he swims with political sharks, wades through floods, fights fires and dodges bullets to become one of the richest and import pioneers in the history of the great Northwest.

Packed with historical references that reminds one of the majestic wonder of the woods, and hints at why the Pittock Mansion became what it is. Currently available at http://www.pwrpen.com

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Timonthy Egan is going to be in Everett, Wa on April 6th. He will be reading from his books and will be with another famous guest Nancy Pearl. Call the Everett Main library for details.

Egan's "The Worst Hard Times" is certainly one of the best books I have ever read.

message 36: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments The book "Folly" by Laurie King seems to be set in the Friday Harbor area and is a great read.

More interesting books called Mysteries of Sparrow Island (several in the series) are set in the San Juan's. They are gentle mysteries .
The author lives in southern California though.

message 37: by Val (last edited Mar 19, 2013 02:11PM) (new)

Val (jazzyval) | 3 comments A few of my books are set in the Northwest. One is about an early aviation event that took place at what is now the Pierce County Airport — WHEN ROOSTERS FLY.

And, a fictional novel about Klondike Kate, Queen of the Yukon, who at 70 gets to meet her 20-year-old self — SUGAR, SPICE, AND STONE.

And (about to be released) a fictional what-if proxy fight by women at a bank in Olympia — A LITTLE REBELLION.

Order any or all from Amazon.com.

message 38: by Burt (new)

Burt Weissbourd (burtweissbourd) | 1 comments Bookreaders of the Pacific Northwest,

My name is Burt Weissbourd, and I’m writing to propose that your book group consider my novel, Inside Passage, for one of your book club selections.

I am specifically writing to Bookreaders of the Pacific Northwest because I believe that your group would greatly enjoy reading and discussing a novel that is set in Seattle and goes on to explore the northwest coast, specifically the Inside Passage. My novel, the first of the Corey Logan trilogy, is a fast-paced, character-driven thriller with a keen sense of place. I believe your club is this book’s most intended audience—Seattle natives will delight in the geographical details within the novel, such as some of Seattle’s best restaurants and the vivid description of the wild and remote Inside Passage. The novel’s unexpected protagonist, Corey Logan, is weaving her wondrous spell on readers throughout the US and Canada, and surely your readers will have a special affinity for this woman of the Pacific Northwest.

Below you will find the synopsis of the book, which is the first novel in the upcoming Corey Logan trilogy, as well as reviews from Foreword Reviews and The Seattle Mystery Bookshop. Additionally, please visit my website, http://www.burtweissbourd.com for further links and information about the trilogy.

I sincerely hope that your book group is interested in the world I’ve created for Inside Passage. Should you have any further questions about Inside Passage or this query, please do not hesitate to contact me through Goodreads.

Thank you for your consideration.

Burt Weissbourd

SYNOPSIS:

Corey Logan was set up. She knows Nick Season’s terrible secret. Coming home from prison, all Corey wants is to be with her son. To get him back, she needs to make a good impression on the psychiatrist evaluating her. But Dr. Abe Stein doesn’t believe she was framed—until his well-heeled mother falls for the charming state attorney general candidate, Nick Season.

As the dogs of war are unleashed, Corey and her son run for their lives—taking her boat up the Pacific Northwest’s remote Inside Passage. Inside Passage is the first in Weissbourd’s haunting, heart-stirring Corey Logan trilogy.

EXCERPT FROM FOREWORD REVIEW:
“The author has an insider’s knowledge of Seattle and the vast waters and mountain ranges surrounding it. His lyrical descriptions of these natural wonders, as well as of the city’s distinct architecture, posh restaurants, sleazy danger zones, and ferry traffic add a cinematic dimension to a narrative that is relentlessly taut and exciting.”

To read the entire review, please visit: https://www.forewordreviews.com/revie...

EXCERPT FROM SEATTLE MYSTERY BOOKSHOP:

“This book is set in Seattle, Bainbridge, and up in the San Juans. I loved the settings, it's so fun to see descriptions of things you know, but most of all I LOVED the characters. I cannot wait until the next installment to see what awaits Corey next.”

To read the entire review, please visit: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa The Samantha Kincaid series by Alafair Burke is set in Portland, OR.

message 40: by Val (new)

Val (jazzyval) | 3 comments Three newly published novels about Washington State: WHEN ROOSTERS FLY (an aging aviator gets a second chance to fulfill a 50-year-old dream of flying across the Pacific in a vintage plane); A LITTLE REBELLION… (women in a bank scheme to break the glass ceiling in 1980s Olympia); and SUGAR, SPICE, AND STONE (an aging Klondike Kate gets to talk with her 20-year-old self). Fictionalized history -- the what-if kind of stories -- by Val Dumond, well-known for her witty grammar books.

message 41: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Just found out about a new novel set in the Olympic Peninsula called TEMPLE GROVE: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

Sounds good.

-- Kirsten

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Melissa wrote: "The Samantha Kincaid series by Alafair Burke is set in Portland, OR."

Thanks for the suggestion. Will start getting those books being a former Portlander.

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Michelle wrote: "There is an unbelievable number of authors living in WA.

Here are some titles that might interest you:

Where Lilacs Still Bloom by Jane Kirkpatrick

The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin (due out in Au..."

Am half way through The Orchardist. What a great book!!!!

message 44: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 24 comments Can't believe no one's mentioned the Twilight saga. Haven't read them myself, and have no desire to, but they really put the Washington coastal rain forest on the map.

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Home Front is all about Seattle area but do not know where Kristin Hannah lives.?

The Orchardist should be considered the best book of the year!!!!!!

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Burt, I read your book after reading your post here. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.

message 47: by T (new)

T (twoo) Currently reading "Songs of Willow Frost", by Jamie Ford, author of the "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Once again, it's the tale of Seattle of yesteryear....well-known Chinatown and downtown locations....

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments great idea for a great read. thanks T

message 49: by T (new)

T (twoo) Oh goodness, how did I forget? Garth Stein's books are set in the PNW...The Art of Racing in the Rain, Raven Stole the Moon, How Evan Broke His Head....

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 28 comments Saw him speak a few months ago and fell in love with " Art of Racing in the Rain". He is so personable.

« previous 1