Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > ABC's The Book Club

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,405 (1405 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

message 1: by Mandapanda (last edited Aug 19, 2010 01:36PM) (new)

Mandapanda The First Tuesday Book Club
Do you like the show? Do you like the reviewers? Do you agree with their reviews? This fantastic ABC program is must watch viewing for Aussie book lovers. Share your thoughts or post your favourite episodes here. Follow this link to video of 2 of their latest book reviews: Solar and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde.

message 2: by Adele (new)

Adele (turtil) | 169 comments i used to watch the show, but they reviewed books that i had never heard of!! it was at this stage i just (sadly) gave up watching.

message 3: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 1732 comments Adele wrote: "i used to watch the show, but they reviewed books that i had never heard of!! it was at this stage i just (sadly) gave up watching."

Yes, the show tends to focus on literary works. There was one episode that spotlighted genre fiction. I'll see if I can find the link.

BRB

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Tyley (vickityley) | 1732 comments Found it: Jennifer Byrne Presents: Bestsellers & Blockbusters

You can either view the episode online or download it.

message 5: by Adele (last edited Aug 24, 2010 09:57PM) (new)

Adele (turtil) | 169 comments i'm at work and the firewall blocked me(i'm so lucky it doesn't block goodreads) when i get home the first thing i'll do is check out that episode. thank you for finding it! :o)

message 6: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I watch it every now and then and have a great time yelling at Marieke Hardy who I think is the most pretentious person on television! But Jennifer Byrne is pretty laid back and they have guest reviewers each week who are not from the literati. I actually don't read a lot of their books but I do find the show entertaining.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 295 comments Mandy, I'm glad I'm not the only one to think Marieke Hardy is pretentious. Nepotism is alive and well there.

I agree that Jennifer is good, you feel that she really says what she feels.

Only problem is I don't often remember its on, but I have seen enough eps to comment. LOL.

message 8: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I love Sunday evenings watching the movie show on ABC at 6 then if you go straight to ABC2 the 1st tues book club is repeated at 630pm.

message 9: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Hi Polk,
Great to hear from you. The program has lots of fans and I'm sure Marieke is one of the reasons! She is so polarising in her manner and tastes which is exactly what shows like FTBC need, someone for the audience to feel passionate about!! I hope you find some classic Australian literature represented in our group bookshelf. It's usually sorted by author. If you want to add some titles please feel free.:)

message 10: by Kora (new)

Kora (koraj) | 61 comments My partner watches it a lot and has enjoyed a few of the books they have discussed. Me, on the other hand, feel a bit overwhelmed with all the literary works :(

I'm also glad there are other people out there who find Marieke annoying!

Vicki thanks for posting the link to the "bestsellers", I didn't see that episode, I will go and watch it now!

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 04, 2010 05:07AM) (new)

I sent an email to Jennifer asking about reviewing poetry & the off chance maybe remotely reviewing my new book, the reply I received said, 'We don't review poetry', kinda put me off.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

David wrote: "I sent a email to Jenifer asking about reviewing poetry, the reply I received said, 'We don't review poetry', kinda put me off."

David maybe it's a reflection of the number of emails they receive with requests? It does seem a bit rude.

I have only seen the show a couple of times because I never remember when it's on. I like watching it when I do remember. I did see their review of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. It made me want to read it. I also caught their review of Cloud Street which was also worth catching. I don't necessarilty agree with their opinions but isn't that what reviews are about. Getting other peoples perspective.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched FTBC last night did anyone else? I thought the two guests were very good. DBC Pierre (I loved the way he talked, I needed to stop myself drooling so I could listen to what he said) and Val McDermid was so down to earth. I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird apparently I am the last person on the planet not to do so. It's on my TBR shelf, I have just had other things that keep jumping in ahead of it. Would anyone like to add a comment on the commentary for the evening? Should I race out and buy it?

Has anyone read Indelible Ink, it's being reviewed next month?

message 14: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 08, 2010 12:12AM) (new)

Mandapanda Gail "cyborg" wrote: "I watched FTBC last night did anyone else? I thought the two guests were very good. DBC Pierre (I loved the way he talked, I needed to stop myself drooling so I could listen to what he said) and V..."

Hasn't DBC Pierre got a gorgeous voice!! It's just like chocolate. Yum!!

Anyway back to the show. I missed it last night but I just watched it then online. Very enjoyable. I even thought Marieke was entertaining and honest in her reviews. Yes To Kill A Mockingbird is on my TBR as well although I'm sure I read it in school! For those who missed the show it should be repeated on ABC2 on Sunday Sept 12th at 630pm or you can check it out online at: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/firsttuesday...

Tip of the Day - If the video goes into 'buffering' mode a lot just press the pause button and do something else for a while. When you come back it should be fully loaded and play right through.

No I haven't read Indelible Ink but it's being advertised here on Goodreads as well. Lots of positive reviews. Is anyone interested in reading it this month and we could have a very informal discussion on this thread after we watch next months First Tuesday Book Club??

message 15: by Tango (new)

Tango | 290 comments I'll be catching this when it is repeated on Sunday - it's on too late for me! I love to hear their discussions. I don't always agree with Marieke but I enjoy hearing her opinions. There should be more people like her on TV, she's interesting and not just mainstream (giving us what we want to hear).

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

A link to the review of Cloudstreet : A Novel for anyone interested.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/firsttuesday...

message 17: by Pam (new)

Pam | 3 comments I am new to this bookgroup, but l will start it off by stating, I do not like Tuesday Night Book Group AT ALL,Geeeeez they are always trying to outdo each other and they all (given that l have watched it twice)seem to be very full of themselves. Do they ever review popular fiction ? In saying that though l wouldn't take the reviews that seriously anyway. I read every day all the time , l very rarely watch TV and l am constantly at the library picking up books. I read all genres but the way that show reviews books is a 'aaargh'. I actually watched it because of Marieke Hardy, who l really like but she does not seem to be enjoying the gig.I love goodreads though lol.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Pam wrote: " I do not like Tuesday Night Book Group AT ALL,Geeeeez they are always trying to outdo each other and they all ..."

LOL, Don't hold back Pam. Welcome to the group, we love it when people voice their opinion. :D

I have only watched it a couple of times also. I like to watch it when they review a book I have read, or a book I should or am thinking of reading, just to hear what others have to say. Their time is so limited with each book you don't get a huge amount out of it but I like it anyway.

message 19: by Pam (new)

Pam | 3 comments now l'm feeling bad, lol was a bit harsh, given that there is no real talk about books on TV ....I will watch again soon , l will check what books they are talking about first.....

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

No need to feel bad Pam, it's good to voice an alternative opinion.

message 21: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Pam wrote: "now l'm feeling bad, lol was a bit harsh, given that there is no real talk about books on TV ....I will watch again soon , l will check what books they are talking about first....."

Yes I second what Gail said! The stronger and more honest your opinions are the more interesting it is for others. So don't hold back or feel bad.;)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I have just purchased a copy of Indelible Ink. I plan on reading it prior to the next Tuesday Night Book Group. I'm going to add my two cents worth in when it is reviewed. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the clarification Polk. I tend to be a bit lax with my language so will need pulling up every now and then.

message 24: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Polk are you going to be reading Indelible Ink? It would be great if you could join us on this thread after the FTBC review in October!:)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't worry Polk I wasn't concerned, I noticed that I had used the term review so I may have muddied the water. I really don't mind if people pick me up on things.

I have started reading Indelible Ink. I love it and I am only 28 pages in. It would be great to have a bit of a chat about it if people are interested. :)

message 26: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Pam wrote: "I am new to this bookgroup, but l will start it off by stating, I do not like Tuesday Night Book Group AT ALL,Geeeeez they are always trying to outdo each other and they all (given that l have watc..."

Pam - If you are able listen to Life Matters weekdays, 9am,on Radio National, sometimes they interview authors and their books - Geoff Pike who wrote Red Lotus was on today talking about his book, his life and other things. Then there is Books 10am with Ramona Koval and then at 11am, Bush Telegraph - they occasionally interview authors and their books. Last month they had A Town Like Alice on as their book of the month. It wasn't only about the book - they had guests as well - an historian who gave his thoughts to how exact Neville Shute was in the history of the war. Another guest was the woman mayor of the small NT town which they said NS modelled his Town like Alice on. Laurel

message 27: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Laurel wrote: "Pam - If you are able listen to Life Matters weekdays, 9am,on Radio National, sometimes they interview authors and their books - Geoff Pike who wrote Red Lotus was on today talking about his book, his life and other things. Then there is..."

Laurel, thanks for that info on Radio National. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to copy it and paste it over on the Radio National thread I started. It's just the sort of feedback that people would be looking for who love listening to the ABC.

message 28: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Mandy wrote: "Laurel wrote: "Pam - If you are able listen to Life Matters weekdays, 9am,on Radio National, sometimes they interview authors and their books - Geoff Pike who wrote Red Lotus was on today talking a..."

Go ahead, Mandy. Laurel

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments I watch the show even though I think they're a bunch of literary snobs. To be fair, their book choices are becomming a little less uptight, more mainstream, so perhaps they're learning that we're not all degree holders.

Jenny:)

message 30: by Mandapanda (last edited Sep 19, 2010 07:31PM) (new)

Mandapanda If you like travel (the real or armchair sort) you must watch 'Jennifer Byrne Presents' on the ABC Tuesday night at 10pm.

'Jennifer Byrne Presents' is a spin-off of 'The First Tuesday Book Club' in which a panel of leading authors and expert celebrity guests join Jennifer for investigations into some of the most popular reading genres. They reveal the conventions, controversies, and titles that have helped shaped the literary landscape.

Tomorrow night! Jennifer Byrne Presents: On The Road 10pm ABC1

In this special they will be discussing travel writing. Jennifer Byrne is joined by Australian travel writer Cate Kennedy , Scottish historian and travel writer William Dalrymple , journalist and member of the British Guild of Travel Writers Claire Scobie and co-founder of Lonely Planet Tony Wheeler .

This show is a great alternative for those who find The First Tuesday Book Club hard going.;D

message 31: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Just watched the On The Road episode of Jennifer Byrne's Presents on ABC 2. It was very interesting. I'm a real fan of travel literature. Some of the great points they discussed included:
The different types of travel writing:
Exploration/Expose (e.g. Paul Theroux, Tony Wheeler, Peter Hessler).
Humour (e.g. P.J. O'Rourke or Bill Bryson. This is described by Michael Palin as the 'Across the Andes by Frog' school of travel writing. Does anyone remember his hilarious series Ripping Yarns?)
Self discovery (e.g. various Tuscan finding yourself/meaning of life/love/favourite recipes books).
Horror Stories (e.g. your butt being eaten by fire ants, being sucked dry by giant leeches etc, etc!).
Other discussions included:
The impact your own emotional baggage has on your travel experiences
The importance of truthfulness in travel writing
The impact of blogs on travel writing (One of the authors told an interesting story about a backpacker travelling in youth hostels. He noticed at mealtimes that all the travellers were glued to their laptops uploading their latest blogs/photos and that no-one was talking to eachother!)

You can watch the episode and read the transcripts from the link above. They also have a list of great travel books that were mentioned in the show.
Happy reading!

message 32: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda So here is the link to the First Tuesday Book Club's review of Indelible Ink. You can either watch the video or read the transcript. I really enjoyed their show last night.
To be honest I still haven't quite finished Indelible Ink. But from the first few pages I really loved the "Australianness" of the writing. I felt I could be sitting out the back chatting with my own family and friends.

'The weather's beautiful,' said Hugh. 'I think it's sinister,' said Clark. 'It's the last day of August and it feels like summer.' I wish I had a dollar for every time I've said that towards the end of spring! Has anyone else read the book. I'd love to know what you thought.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read the book and have written a review, without spoilers so you can read it if you like. I was with Marieke on this, I really loved the book in the beginning. I love the in-your-face Australian feel of the book. The microscopic view of Sydney, all places that I'm very familiar with (I lived in Mosman for a few years and I dated a guy who lived at Potts Point). Loved all the botanical references which while I'm familiar with them I am not sure whether most Australians would know that a 'callistemon' is a common 'bottle brush' or even what the difference between an 'angophora' and a 'gum tree' is. It gave me a warm cosy Aussie feel which I don't recall feeling as intimately with any other book I've read.

Okay so I have the yummy Aussie thing happening. The people in the book are a little on the repulsive side. While Marieke thought the characters were implausible, apart from Marie I would have to disagree. I know people like this family. I am not sure that the foul language fits that well but the rest is spot on.

I really enjoyed reading the book.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed watching FTBC this month. Because I had read the book in anticipation it really added a lot to watching the show. I hope there are others out there who've read the book and would like to contribute to the discussion.

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments I enjoyed this month's book club episode too, and for the most part I agreed with their opinions.

Re: Indelible Ink - Like you, Gail, I did enjoy reading about Sydney's sights. The location was as much a character as the people. I also loved spending time with Marie. She is a fantastic character. I did not, however, like spending time with any of the other characters and towards the end skipped passages dealing with them. I also did NOT like Marie's end. I thought it incredibly unfair that not only did she get the rough end of the stick with her family her whole life, but that fate did the same to her. I don't know, sounds mad, but I was very annoyed with how it all panned out. Yes, life is like this, but the thing I love most about fiction is that no matter how much it resembles life, it's not: there can be miracles.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I really wasn't as sympathetic with Marie, while I really liked her. She chose the path of neglect for both her financial situation and her health. There were alternatives (many) which she just didn't bother to pursue, preferring to tolerate situations rather than act. I found that pretty inexcusable given how wealthy she was.

For some strange reason I kept getting confused between Clark and Leon. I am not sure if it was because Clark would be a better name for a 'gardener' & Leon a better name for an 'historian' in my mind. :) Or maybe I didn't care enough about either of them to work through the puzzle.

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments Regarding Marie: you know, Gail, I really didn't think of it like that. You're right, she did bring a lot of it on herself. But I guess we do, don't we - especially mothers. And where her ignorance of money was concerned, I suppose that was because she always had so much of it and never had to do the sums.

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 07, 2010 03:25PM) (new)

Jenny wrote: " I suppose that was because she always had so much of it and never had to do the sums. "

Oh if we all had that as an excuse. :)

But I guess we do, don't we - especially mothers.

Yes as a mum it is so easy to put everyone else first. Sometimes you need to just put yourself first; 1. To remind those around you that you are important (they won't know unless you tell them); 2. For your own sanity and self.
Marie failed to remember to do this. She found to her detriment that her children had grown up totally self absorbed, a disloyal husband and no clue how to take care of herself. The tattoos are a statement perhaps of -- 'look at me this is who I am'... too little, too late.

message 39: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 114 comments Indelible Ink cont: That final kick from Marie's ex was something, wasn't it. While I am glad I got to meet Marie, as it were, I don't think I could recommend this book to anyone. It's left quite a sour taste in my mouth for a number of reason.

message 40: by Regan (new)

Regan (mollytornado) I did not particularly like this months First Tuesday Book Club. I did not manage to read Indelible Ink, but I am glad I did not because it sounded like it had a hideous plot.

The main reason why I watched the show was for Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger. I must say, I was very disappointed on their analysis of this deservedly classic novel.

Jennifer Byrne and Jason Steger came across as extremely pretentious and as if they were beyond the novel. The only person who had any constructive input was Marieke Hardy.

message 41: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I think my opinion of Marieke Hardy is changing. In the last episode she is talking about reading Stephen Fry's autobiography (he's one of my favourite authors/actors etc) and she said that she loved it so much she kissed the book when she finished it. I've actually loved some books so much that I've kissed them when I finished. Silly but true!;p

message 42: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Regan wrote: "The main reason why I watched the show was for Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger. I must say, I was very disappointed on their analysis of this deservedly classic novel.
Jennifer Byrne and Jason Steger came across as extremely pretentious and as if they were beyond the novel. The only person who had any constructive input was Marieke Hardy..."

I haven't read Catcher in the Rye Regan but I'm wondering if it is an age thing with Jason and Jennifer. I feel that it's a book that I would have loved and wanted to live in when I was in my 20's but now in my 40's, would I connect with it as much or would I feel a bit cynical about his journey and self absorption?

message 43: by Regan (last edited Oct 10, 2010 04:37AM) (new)

Regan (mollytornado) Mandy wrote: "Regan wrote: "The main reason why I watched the show was for Catcher in the Rye by J.D.Salinger. I must say, I was very disappointed on their analysis of this deservedly classic novel.
Jennifer By..."

Yes, I thought of the age difference issue, but my Dad (who is in his late 40's) read it for the first time after I did and he thought it was a brilliant novel. In my opinion, it is not YA fiction. I think it is terrible that the novel has become an icon for teenage rebellion because it deals with so much more than that.

It is a story about someone who is lost in the world. Someone who is trying to find their identity. Holden Caulfield (main character) cannot make sense of why people act and think the way they do. Some people struggle with these themes their whole lives, not just in their teenage years. I saw the novel more so as a social commentary than a novel about an 'angsty teen'.

My impression with Catcher in the Rye is that it is a novel you can read at different stages in your life. I think it can be relatable to anyone no matter what your age is because it is not only teenagers in society who feel a sense of misplacement and dissatisfaction in their life.

Jennifer Byrne and Jason Steger said that Caulfield's voice became annoying, which I understand, since I was unsure of it at first too. Although once I got to the second chapter, it became a joy to read because the text was filled with so much personality that it almost felt like I was holding a person and not a book. That is the way my Dad felt too.

I am unsure whether or not you would enjoy it, but I do not think that age matters at all. It is whether or not you can relate to his troubled mind. Do not judge his quirks and flaws on being a teen, let yourself go and let him become a part of you, and I think you will truly enjoy the book. It is just wonderful, I could not put the novel down.

message 44: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Regan wrote: "the text was filled with so much personality that it almost felt like I was holding a person and not a book..."

I love that sentence you wrote Regan! You put it so beautifully. I am definitely adding it to my TBR shelf!:)

message 45: by Regan (new)

Regan (mollytornado) Mandy wrote: I love that sentence you wrote Regan! You put it so beautifully. I a..."

Why, thank you. :D I am glad that you are going to give the novel a go.

In addition, I am sorry that my previous reply was so long winded. I guess I just loved the book so much, I am rather passionate, haha.

Enjoy! (when you get around to it, of course) :)

message 46: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Regan wrote: "Mandy wrote: I love that sentence you wrote Regan! You put it so beautifully. I a..."

Why, thank you. :D I am glad that you are going to give the novel a go.

In addition, I am sorry that my previ..."

They are my favourite type of posts to read! Passionate and longwinded.:D

message 47: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Don't forget The First Tuesday Book Club is on tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 10pm ABC1.

Jennifer Byrne is joined by regular panellists Marieke Hardy and Jason Steger , plus author of award winning novel Those Faraday Girls, and her most recent novel At Home with the Templetons, Monica McInerney. As well as Australian novelist, author of Syrup, Jennifer Government and Company, Max Barry.

The books for discussion are Freedom, by Jonathan Franzen and our classic: Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged:.

message 48: by Mandapanda (last edited Nov 01, 2010 01:06AM) (new)

Mandapanda If you're a lover of manga and graphic novels don't miss:

JENNIFER BYRNE PRESENTS: GRAPHIC NOVELS - Tuesday 16th November 10pm ABC1

Jennifer Byrne presents this special on graphic novels, or if you prefer: comics, picture books, illustrated fiction or sequential art narrative. To discuss the wonderful combination of words and images, we are joined by special guests Eddie Campbell, Sophie Cunningham, Bruce Mutard and Nicki Greenberg.

Remember if you miss any of the above shows I'll put links in this thread after they've aired and you'll be able to watch the videos or read the transcripts.

message 49: by Mandapanda (last edited Nov 02, 2010 01:37PM) (new)

Mandapanda Here are the book reviews from last night (2nd Nov.)

Freedom

Atlas Shrugged

Did anyone watch the show? What did you think of the reviews?

Mmmm... Looks like one of next month's reads is Parrot and Olivier in America. I wouldn't mind doing that for an individual book discussion. Anyone else interested?

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched it, I was interested to hear what they had to say about Freedom, it is one of those books that has sparked a lot of debate. I wasn't convince to read it. I also have plenty of things on my TBR I won't be putting Atlas Shrugged on it either.

I would be interested in a discussion on Parrot and Oliver...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29