Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > The Green River Killer- Gary Ridgway

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (last edited Aug 20, 2010 09:42PM) (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 26 comments I find it interesting that the Pacific Northwest supposedly produces the most serial killers in the United States. Here is another famous serial killer from that region courtesy wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Rid...

message 2: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 8 comments Colleen, is the Pacific NW first because of number of victims or actual serial killers? Do you have a link for this data? I didn't see anything specifically addressing this in the Wiki link. As a native of the Pacific NW I am most curious about this statistic. Thanks.

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 26 comments I have read it numerous times in different places so I can't give you a specific place where I read it but I can look? :)

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (wideranging) Stacie,

I have often read about this phenomenon. I just found a post I think you'll find illuminating.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/new...

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 26 comments Interesting article Jane!

message 6: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Ahhh! I need to get back into reading and definitely more true crime! I really want to read about this guy. Anyone have an opinion on the best book about it? I know Ann Rule has one. And I've heard of Defending Gary. Any suggestions on which is best?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

This guy just looks creepy!
I heard he drove with the police (or actually it was a documentary about him that I saw) to show them where he dumped the bodies! And when they were interviewing him he would smile and laugh! What a creep!!!
I think the detective who was watching him identified some DNA from a coffee container that he threw away? (Or am I thinking of someone else?)

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane (wideranging) Bundy was so charming that he actually appeared on the Dick Cavett show (an interview show on PBS)! I believe it was because of his almost professional appearance and his relaxed stance. Much was made of his intelligence, but it turned out that he was above average, not brilliant. His magnetism and personal charm were formidable, though, and this is what he counted on to get him out of every conceivable scrape. This, plus his undeniable good looks, served him very well.

message 9: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 8 comments Jane, thanks for the great article! I found this quite interesting and probably quite accurate "Living here doesn't make you a serial killer," he says, "Living here just makes it easier."
Kelsey, I do think Ann Rule's book is the best on Ridgway but I tend to think all of hers are a notch above the rest.

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane (wideranging) There was a tremendous book that came out before they captured Ridgway. It was called "The Search for the Green River Killer." I really liked it, because it showed the tortures the investigators went through and the appalling number of very questionable criminal types they looked into. It was well written and just interesting in the fact that it detailed the incredible frustrations and dead ends the police kept running into.

message 11: by Kelsey (last edited Aug 24, 2010 06:34AM) (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Thanks Stacie and Jane.. I would like to read both of those. I love Ann Rules book on Bundy but that is the only book of hers I've read so far.

My next true crime read will either be GRK, "The Night Stalker" or "The Monster of Florence" but whatever the order I;m dying to read all three.

Jane-I really like books like the one you have described. I have read multiple books that have gone through the investigative process and it was shocking to see how many times the police made mistakes that kept the killer on the loose and as a result added more bodies to the body count. I have always sympathized with them because I just couldn't imagine being under the stress of looking for a serial killer. Like literally having peoples LIVES depend on you. Poor guys!

message 12: by Dero (new)

Dero | 36 comments I read "The Monster of Florence" and really liked it. I thought it would be difficult to follow as it was set in Italy but the story was facinating.

I think Gary Ridgway is creepy. If you saw anything on TV about him and heard him describing the killings, he is just matter of fact about killing all those women. Chilling!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Dero
I know! I watched this Crime show about him where he was telling the police everything, and he went along (handcuffed of course) to show them where he dumped the bodies, and he told them all this like it was something everyone does all the time!
He also just looks creepy!

message 14: by Dero (new)

Dero | 36 comments Niecole,
Did you watch any of the BKE confessions? I think he was even worse than Gary Ridgway. You can hear them on youtube.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Dero
BKE? Not sure...
I read somewhere that Gary Ridgway murdered 48 women that they know of! Thats crazy, I cant even wrap my mind around that!!!!

I also saw this program about a serial killer that killed off young boys, and he rented a storage garage and burried them below the cement of the foundation! They found something like 20 or more bodies burried there!

I love reading and watching shows about these killers, not because I want to become one, trust me, but its facinating how they all think they can get away with it! How they justify these acts in their minds!

message 16: by Dero (new)

Dero | 36 comments BKE is Dennis Rader. He looks like he could be someone's grandfather but if you hear him describe the people he killed. He called them his "projects" and was very calm and collected while describing strangling these women.

That program sounds like John Gacy.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

YES thats the name, John Gacy, it was very chilling...
Wow, thats freaky, many of these killers are so calm about it, like they were doing a favour to society. Especially the guys who killed prostitutes...

Isnt he the BTK killer? I've heard and read a lot about him, he killed for a while, then stopped, got himself a nice family and attended church and was the good old neighbour. No one expected him to be the mastermind behind all of this. He would go around houses looking inside the windows and stuff, creepy! Also I think in the end he wanted to be caught.

And your right, he looks like someones dad or grandfather, thats what makes it even creepier, because its someone you would never even think of in a million years!

Haha I just read that his first possibility of parrole is in 2180!

message 18: by Dero (new)

Dero | 36 comments That's him. They caught him from a disc he burned at his church and they traced it back to his church. All along, he sent stuff about his killings to the press and I guess he was getting caught up on technology because after the last killing, he sent a disc to the press. He just wasn't caught up enough because they were able to recover the other data on the disc and it was a church memo and it had his name on it. They did DNA testing with his daughter. All around, a really horrible thing.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, and he really does look like a normal guy...

message 20: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) I just finished "Green River Running Red" and I have to admit, I think I'm hooked on Ann Rule. "Stranger Besides Me" started my obsession with Ted Bundy and now after this book, I am wanting to read more about Gary Ridgeway.
It's just insane! He killed so often and so easily, And he managed to stay hidden.. in plain sight! The book mentioned that his wife Judith was thinking about writing a book on being married to him, but I did some searching online and besides a court case (on the profits of the book) there was nothing much. I was shocked when he confessed to killing while his son was with him--AND said he might have killed his son too. Just... crazy.
Also I find it very interesting the similarities and differences between Gary and Ted. There were alike in many obvious ways but the most interesting thing that set them apart was their social life and intelligence. Ted served in political campaigns, etc. He did the college thing, he went to bars, beaches, Christmas parties and was described as very charismatic. Gary however didn't spend time with friends, especially after marrying Judith. He was involved with the Parents Without Partners(?) but he held the same job for twenty years, didn't make waves and was very content with his private life and average cars, etc.

I don't necessarily know if I'm making the points I'm trying to make or if I am even typing anything coherent (haha) I'm up and running late for school, also still half asleep:) Just fascinated me thats all!:)

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (chrstjoy) | 4 comments Kelsey wrote: "I just finished "Green River Running Red" and I have to admit, I think I'm hooked on Ann Rule. "Stranger Besides Me" started my obsession with Ted Bundy and now after this book, I am wanting to rea..."

I just finished this book a week ago. I love Rule as well. I recommend what I read next... Heart Full of Lies or Bitter Harvest. I am always fascinated by the women who kill. Maybe because it is so rare or because these women were particularly heartless, but these are great novels that you will not be able to put down.

message 22: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Thanks I will definitely add them to my list:)

message 23: by Dero (new)

Dero | 36 comments I just got Ann Rule's latest book In the Still of the Night: The Strange Death of Ronda Reynolds but have not had a chance to read it yet.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm fasinated by both Gary and Ted. I herd that Ted actually helped to get Gary captured?

Kelsey, I'm love Ted Bundy and the whole history, I must say that The Stranger Beside Me gave me chills! He seems so ordinary and normal which is very creepy!
I've got Green River Running Red on my TBR list

message 25: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Yes he did!

And the book definitely gave me chills as well. I have wanted to read more on both of them but I just don't see how you are going to top those books! I would take some recommendations I supposed.. but I have a feeling I'm going to be biased now.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.