Writers and Readers discussion

Reading Room > Book Genres

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
Have a favourite book genre? Is there one you just won't read? Tell the group.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Clark (clarklori) I love reading all things paranormal. I have a hard time with historical fiction. I might like not too far back in time... but for the most part, keep it current.

message 3: by A.F. (new)

Lorielle wrote: "I love reading all things paranormal. I have a hard time with historical fiction. I might like not too far back in time... but for the most part, keep it current."

I'm just the opposite; I love historical fiction, but don't read many books set in more modern times. We agree on reading paranormal books though.

message 4: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments I don't read straight "romance" novels, erotica, non-fiction, and a lot of general fiction.

I love the types of stories that take me away from where I am at, whether that be a distopian, fantasy, sci-fi, horror, paranormal, mystery, or any other genre, I just love being taken away to a, in the words of Aladdin, Whole New World...LOL

message 5: by Baxter (new)

Baxter Trautman I'm dying to ask this and, Lorielle, Amy, you might be able to answer. Love for everybody else to chime in too.

I see a TREMENDOUS interest in fantasy and paranormal literature across all genres. Given this huge, potential market, why aren't there more traditional, dead-tree publishers out there pushing it as hard as they do romance or suspense or thrillers? Just curious. Thanks.

Baxter Clare Trautman, The River Within
Web site: http://baxterclare.com
Blog: http://baxterclare.com/blog

message 6: by A.F. (new)

Baxter wrote: "I'm dying to ask this and, Lorielle, Amy, you might be able to answer. Love for everybody else to chime in too.

I see a TREMENDOUS interest in fantasy and paranormal literature across all genres. ..."

I see many fantasy/paranormal writers targeting the small niche presses or going indie instead of trying for bigger traditional houses. It may be they're not ignoring the market, but that it's pasing them by.

message 7: by Baxter (new)

Baxter Trautman Which begs the question, if there's that much money in it why aren't they racing to catch up? It does indeed seem to be passing them by, and I find with the expense and effort they put into marketing the latest, hottest trends they'd be all over the fantasy/paranormal. Huh. As Alice said, "Curiouser and curiouser."

Baxter Clare Trautman, The River Within
Web site: http://baxterclare.com
Blog: http://baxterclare.com/blog

message 8: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) I think that a lot of the bigger houses are trying to cash in on it but I also think they are very selective. They are probably so flooded with queries and manuscripts of the same thing that they are tired of it. Many agents now state that they do not want anything vampire or werewolf related being sent to them. there's just too much of it right now. I heard that the new thing they are looking for is Zombies...but that was quite a while ago so maybe they are flooded with that too. LOL.
I think bigger houses are out looking for the next big thing.
Now, this is just my opinion I am in no way an expert on the publishing industry

message 9: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) My favorite genre is paranormal/fantasy.

message 10: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 46 comments I have always Been a reader of fantasy (I don't write in that genre, at least not yet).

The problem with fantasy is repetition. Most of the stories are the same: scullery boy destined to be king, orphaned girl with a huge yet undiscovered magical talent, the monster hoard is coming and the small band of companions must defeat them to save the kingdom, etc..

That's why I don't write fantasy, it's all been done to death. More to the point, I can't come up with an idea that is unique lol.

Once in a while, something new comes along. Usually, though, that "new" thing turns to some form of the old, beaten to death, storyline. It is a genre that seems to be very formulaic.

For the most part, publishers stick with what works...which means established authors since most fantasy seems to be series. Very few traditionally published fantasy books break the mold (at least in my reading experience).

I have heard over and over again that fantasy is a small fan base compared to other genres. I find that hard to believe but that seems to be the thought.

I am basically just very disappointed in the state of fantasy today.

Splitter

message 11: by A.F. (new)

C.S. wrote: "I have always Been a reader of fantasy (I don't write in that genre, at least not yet).

The problem with fantasy is repetition. Most of the stories are the same: scullery boy destined to be king,..."

There does seem to be a glut of cookie cutter fantasy out there by traditional publishers. I'm finding more interesting fantasy books put out by indie writers these days.

message 12: by Fred (new)

Fred Limberg | 12 comments I'm so much of a thriller addict about 5 years ago I started writing them! I'm a huge fan of John Sandford, Robert Crais, Randy Wayne White, Stephen Hunter, Robert Crais, and Lee Child. A local guy, David Housewright (Mpls/ST. Paul area) has a cool character/series going. His Mac character and the premise for his getting involved in all sorts of things is one of those "wish I'd have thought of that first" kind of things.
My thrillers, well, they aren't anything like what my faves write, but then, that would be cheating if they were, right? Although my character in Ferris' Bluff is a definite loner, he's not like Reacher at all.

message 13: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments I have gravitated towards young adult high fantasy, which thankfully means I don't have to go overboard on the world-building. I'm not a fan of three page long descriptions of trees...

message 14: by A.F. (new)

Anne-Mhairi wrote: "I have gravitated towards young adult high fantasy, which thankfully means I don't have to go overboard on the world-building. I'm not a fan of three page long descriptions of trees..."

I've never written three page description of trees... two maybe, but never three.

message 15: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Hurrah!!

message 16: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments I think the cookie cutter is used in all genres, but I think many publishing houses tend to steer clear of a lot of paranormal works right now because they are afraid of looking too YA. Most paranormal books tend to be geared to that age group right now. There aren't as many series on the adult side of that fence. You do have the big runners such as Charlaine Harris and Laurell K Hamilton and a few others, but there is an abundance of YA woks out there, and I think some of the large houses are afraid of going down a path they believe leads to "children's fiction."

message 17: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Which is strange because children read too. I guess they think the market is glutted, but still...

message 18: by A.F. (new)

Well, as an avid reader I'd love to see some paranormal that wasn't YA or Romance (not that I have anything against either genres).

message 19: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments I see what you mean. I have a book like that in the pipeline. It has romantic elements, but it's definitely not a romance. I don't want to write romance and the characters are too old for it to be YA. Which was frustrating to me because I wanted to keep all my stuff YA, but I don't think it's going to happen.

message 20: by A.F. (new)

Anne-Mhairi wrote: "I see what you mean. I have a book like that in the pipeline. It has romantic elements, but it's definitely not a romance. I don't want to write romance and the characters are too old for it to be ..."

I've had that happen a couple of times and sometimes you have to go where the story wants, even if it's not where you planned.

message 21: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Right. I tried to make it a YA but it's just not going to work. The characters have to be older.