Christian Historical Fiction discussion

Julie Lessman > A Hope Undaunted - Future Spouse Checklist?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
9. Katie has a clear-cut list of what she wants in a husband, but in Luke McGee, God obviously had someone else in mind. Did you or do you have a list of what you would like in a mate and why are those things important to you? What were/are the non-negotiables?

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I have one in my bible, but I've learned over time that some of the things on the list really don't matter. Kinda funny to see how they get scratched off or changed over the years. My non-negotiable is that he has to love God with all his heart and be able to lead. If he can't lead then, how can I trust or respect him? I tell girls I minister to at church all the time that they need to look beyond the superficial and think of character qualities, etc that they want. It's easy to put tall,dark and handsome. But, putting responsible, manages money well, integrity, etc is what is more important in the long run. Ok, I am off my soap box now!

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments Tall, dark and handsome is nice, but it's gonna fade eventually...definitely go for someone who loves God - that's gonna last!

message 4: by Margaret (last edited May 17, 2021 04:22PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
This one amuses me. When I was a young girl I had a list, a real written down on paper list. I'm not sure I can remember all of it but:

freckles
brown hair/blonde in summer
soccer/cross country runner build
nerd
goes to Georgia Tech
glasses would be nice too
Oh and a goatee!

Well, that is my husband to a T! When I was in fourth grade I had my first boyfriend (completely through peer pressure) and his name was Daniel Cole. I wrote MA <3 DC on everything and doodled I <3 DANIEL C! all over the place. Well after I married my husband it was great, because all of that was still valid. I tell him I knew at a young age. His name is Daniel C*********. He's still my DC/Daniel C.

God definitely blessed me with putting him in my life.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjulie_lessman) | 13 comments JENNIFER SAID: My non-negotiable is that he has to love God with all his heart and be able to lead.

OH, AMEN to that, girl!! That's how I prayed and how my daughter Amy prays too (the one I based Katie from AHU on) -- absolutely ESSENTIAL!!

As far as the "leading" part, I actually have a different take on that because for many years, it appeared that I was the spiritual leader in my family since I was the one so on fire for God, but my husband didn't appear to be. But I learned that application of God's precepts in marriage (i.e. submit ... except let's use the word "respect") automatically deferred to my husband as the "leader," which wasn't easy, but the obedience in doing so unleashed tremendous power in my marriage by bringing my husband to BE the spiritual leader he needed to be. Now, I say unequivocably, he is the spiritual leader, even though I am the overt one when it comes to passion for God.

Hugs,
Julie

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia Reffner | 9 comments Amen to what you said, Julie. I thought I was the "spiritual" one...the Lord showed me 1 Peter about a gentle and quiet spirit. That unleashed for me to allow my husband to be who God wanted him to be. I would truly describe my husband as a man who would give his life, his all for us. Its not too hard to fall in line with that. :)

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjulie_lessman) | 13 comments Oh, Jules, that gave me cold chills (good ones!!). I am SO proud of you, my friend, because I know too many Christian women who are so blind to the truth of your comment above. And, no, just as it's not too hard to fall in line with a man who would give his all for you, it's also not to hard for a man to "cherish" a woman who restores him to his rightful position in God through her respect. :)

Hugs,
Julie

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Julie wrote: "Oh, Jules, that gave me cold chills (good ones!!). I am SO proud of you, my friend, because I know too many Christian women who are so blind to the truth of your comment above. And, no, just as it'..."

totally agree!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "Tall, dark and handsome is nice, but it's gonna fade eventually...definitely go for someone who loves God - that's gonna last!"

:) Dito!
I have a few very specific requirements before going into any relationship, but I believe that if he is the Right One, God will have it all sussed out.