Christian Historical Fiction discussion

Julie Lessman > A Hope Undaunted - Friendship?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
2. Luke and Parker had a deep friendship where they accepted each other for just who they were, just as God accepts us, which in the end manifested itself in giving of themselves to the other. Have you ever had a relationship like this where you laid your needs and desires aside for the needs and desires of the other person?

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia Reffner | 9 comments I think this is what parenting and marriage ultimately should be, but I sure don't live it out perfectly :) (And all relationships for that matter)

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 15 comments I think I've had moments like that with friends. When I was younger I had a friend who protected me against a bully. I didn't know her and I don't know why she stuck up for me that first time, but after that we were like glue. I gave her things because her family was poor. I remember for Easter my parents gave me this big plastic bag of chocolate. Now I LOVE chocolate - but she had never seen that much chocolate outside of a store. They had nothing for Easter. I could have given her some - but I gave her the whole thing. I felt so good about it too. We always did things like that for each other. I still think about her often. We lost touch, but I hope she's happy somewhere and doing well.

I just moved away from another good friend. We always tried to be there for each other as well. We watched children when needed, held each other while the other cried, prayed together, swapped favors all the time. She was more than just my best friend - she was family. I always felt like a better person when I was around her. No matter what we were going through, we always knew that we would be accepted - but also encouraged to do what God would be happy with.

Jules is right though - we're not perfect, so we never do it perfectly.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Isn't it amazing to look back on life and see all the people that he has blessed us with?

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjulie_lessman) | 13 comments Amen to that, Jules!! And Lee is right -- NOBODY does it perfectly, which is why we all need a Savior in the first place, right??

And, oh, Lee -- you said a mouthful, girl!! LOVED your line: "I always felt like a better person when I was around her." What an incredible compliment to your friend!! She sound like an encourager and a giver ... just like you!! Reading what you said about giving all
of your chocolate to your poor friend brought tears to my eyes, which admittedly is not all THAT hard to do for this emotional basket case, but still, it is amazing to see a child do that.

Margaret, I am A LOT older than you, but I can honestly say that never has God blessed me with more incredible friendships than since I became an author, with reader friends like you, Jules and Lee at the top of the list. I am ASTOUNDED how much love and support flows into my life from women who love God as much as I do and live to please Him. My husband often refers to you guys as my "second family," but he's not far off. There is something really tender and binding about connecting because of Christ in our lives -- that is our common bond, be it through books or blogs or online discussions -- and until you just made that statement above, the impact of it never really hit me before. Thank you for pointing that out.

Hugs,
Julie

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 15 comments Margaret wrote: "Isn't it amazing to look back on life and see all the people that he has blessed us with?"

Julie's right. This is an amazing statement. I'm a shy person and I have a lot of health problems so I'm very nearly a hermit. A lot of times it's people online that I reach out to and with. Still, when I look back and think about the major good things that have happened in my life, they all revolve around special friends and people I care about.

When I think about what I said about my friend (Barb is her name) helping me to be a better person and how Julie talked about us being "a second family" and how we have a common bond... I think the kind of books that my favorite authors write do that as well. They encourage us to be better than we are. They inspire us to dig deep within ourselves and examine if we share anything like the characters of the books and if we could do the things they did. Sometimes they even make us feel like family.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

I love you people. :) You make my life brighter.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjulie_lessman) | 13 comments Oh, Lee, amen to that!! That "common bond" as women who love God and books that draw us closer to Him is a gift we sometimes are aren't fully aware of until someone like Margaret makes a simple statement like, "Isn't it amazing to look back on life and see all the people that he has blessed us with?"

Like Margaret says -- I love you people too!

Hugs,
Julie

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I agree with y'all. Looking back I am thankful for certain people God placed in my life. I think it's rare to find that kind of friendship now. When I think of a good friend, I always picture David and Jonathan. To love someone so much that you are willing to stake your life on them(which is how marriage should be too). I just love reading their story and how God brought the two of them together to encourage and build up one another. I can honestly say, I have had one or two people who have even come close to that with me.
I'm a giver my nature, so it becomes necessary for my best friend to remind me to focus and not give so much of myself to others and disregard myself. She can tell me the truth and be flat out honest with me and has always accepted me for who I am. Never yelled at me when I took the wrong path or said or did something stupid, but always gently pointed me in the direction I needed to go when I strayed. And she is very good at just saying she prays for me. That's why I try to accept others for who they are and let them know someone cares. Sometimes that's all anyone needs. And i feel like i just rambled on there. I hope I made sense! lol

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjulie_lessman) | 13 comments Jennifer you said about your friend that she: "Never yelled at me when I took the wrong path or said or did something stupid, but always gently pointed me in the direction I needed to go when I strayed. And she is very good at just saying she prays for me."

You are truly blessed with such a friend as that, but I am guessing that is because you are much the same way. And I LOVED the love and friendship between Jonathon and David -- great example!! You are blessed to have that with your friend.

Hugs,
Julie

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Julie wrote: "Jennifer you said about your friend that she: "Never yelled at me when I took the wrong path or said or did something stupid, but always gently pointed me in the direction I needed to go when I str..."

lol, I guess. I have been told that I am by several people. I guess it's because I know what it's like to be judge and I make it a point never to do that.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie (goodreadscomjulie_lessman) | 13 comments TEA ... I am SO glad you received it, and I hope you enjoy it! Happy reading. :)

Hugs,
Julie