SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Series and Authors We ❤ > Hunger Games / Suzanne Collins

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

5 more days until Mockingjay! 5 more days to know what happens with Peeta, Gale, and Kat. I am worried about Peeta. I cannot wait!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments According to early reviews of Mockingjay, there's more Gale (yay!) and we'll need tissues (uh-oh).

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I am worried that it means Peeta is doomed. :(

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I hope he is, I'm Team Gale. That was mean, I meant to say that would be sad. Peeta doesn't deserve ill treatment but we just know that Snow is going to make him suffer.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I agree. I am Team Gale too, but I do like Peeta. I think the easiest way to solve the triangle is to kill him off.

message 6: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I was totally Team Gale in the 1st book, then Peeta slowly snuck his way in during the 2nd book, to the point where I wouldn't freak out if he gets the girl.

But I've always felt Gale got the short end of the stick--we've barely gotten to know him, so I'm glad he gets more "air-time" in Mockingjay.

I won't have mine on the 24th, I pre-ordered from B&N, but with the free 2 day shipping I should have it by the 26th. That'll do. :)

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I hope to have mine by 2 am on the 24th, lol, on my Kindle. But likely I won't see it until I am commuting into work.

Laura you are right, I did start to like Peeta more and find him more attractive in Catching Fire.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Nope, even after Catching Fire, I'm still firmly Team Gale though I did feel sorry for Peeta. I kept thinking you've got no chance so why keep trying?

My heart melted when Gale was face down on the table and Katniss falls asleep holding his hand.

I found this quote on here the other day apparently from Catching Fire:
'Gale is mine. I am his. Anything else is unthinkable.' It makes me feel good to read that.

I've ordered both the paperback and hardback of Mockingjay and if I don't get either by the 24th, I'm going to the nearest book store. I'm desperate for the ending. I don't care if I end up with 3 copies!

message 9: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments I said somewhere else that I've been for Gale from the start, but Peeta is the only one that can know exactly what she's been threw with the games. That matters to some. I hope that quote (Ames posted) stays true, but I'm kinda feeling like I'll be okay with either. Nah, that doesn't feel write when I type it, so Gale it is! LOL!

And, don't look now, but it appears to be available now @ BookDepository!
The description says:
Mockingjay (the Final Book of the Hunger Games) (Hardback)
by Suzanne Collins
Availability: Usually dispatched within 48 hours

Even though the published date states: 24 Aug 2010

I was going to just go with the eBook, but I've ordered it in hardback to have and to hold ... :D ('Course it takes 10+ days to receive in the mail, so I'll still have to buy the eBook too, if I can't wait.)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I pre-ordered a copy from them but the status still says "Awaiting publication" and my credit card hasn't been charged yet :(

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I spoke too soon! I just received an email to say it's available and the status is now set to "processing", yay! I wish they had an express shipping option, I would so pay extra for that right now!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 82 comments Steph wrote: "And, don't look now, but it appears to be available now @ BookDepository!"

That's how I got mine 10 days early. I ordered the boxset from them as I only had the first two books in audio format, but wanted the whole series in book format as well.

I have my own opinions on the Team Gale/Team Peeta debate, but as I've read the book I wouldn't want to give anything away. =D

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments DH, how does it feel to have 50,000 people jealous of you? LOL!

message 14: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Lol. You're killing me DH. :)

message 15: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments No joke, Ames! You bugger, DH! :) Was it great? Just tell us you loved it.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments I'm not pretty enough to break the rules for. *sob* He wouldn't sell it to me. They had it in stock but he wouldn't sell it to me. Granted as soon as I saw that my local Waterstones had the paperback in stock (which I checked as soon as I woke up), I grabbed the first clothes available to me. Didn't even brush my teeth. I wasn't looking my best.

He said it was "embargoed" and couldn't sell it until the 25th. But he did say that if a member of staff in any one of the stores broke and sold it, it would be released to everyone else. He must've seen my hopeful look because then he said he "didn't want to get in trouble". He seemed kinda scared when he said that so perhaps it was a sackable offence in this case with the publishers being so tight about the release date. But I swear if I'd been a busty beauty he would've sold it to me in a heartbeat!

I was crushed. To be physically so close to it and yet not be able to touch -it was agony. How could they advertise that they have it but not sell it. :(

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Obama bought a copy of The Hunger Games! - Obama and the Bookstore

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments So cool!

message 19: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments That sucks, Ames. Really! Why advertise having it and not sell it? He should've given (sold) you a copy for that reason alone.

message 20: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Audible.com has posted the first chapter of "Mockingjay" in audio on their Facebook page. :D

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I am 35% in and it has gotten so good! Thanks for the tip steph.

message 22: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments I'm listening to it (Chapter 1) now, even though it's going to be torture when it's done and I am left still waiting for my book to arrive. Is that the author reading, do you know? Whoever it is, I like her voice.

message 23: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I think it is Caroline McCormick. She did the first to if I remember correctly. I have heard she is fabulous.

message 24: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments :( "Perhaps I am watching you now............" Waaahhhh, come on little postman, bring me my book! LOL!

message 25: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Regina wrote: "I think it is Caroline McCormick. She did the first to if I remember correctly. I have heard she is fabulous."

I read the 1st two, but am thinking I might buy the series in audio as well. I like her voice.

message 26: by DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (last edited Aug 25, 2010 06:24AM) (new)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 82 comments She does a great job at the narration (until Mockingjay was released, I only had the first two on audio, but I now own the hardback boxset as well). I just downloaded the audiobook of Mockingjay yesterday, so once I finish the book I'm currently listening to, I'll queue it up and discover all of the things I missed on my whirlwind read through the book.

message 27: by Regina (last edited Aug 25, 2010 04:11AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I turned off my light last night at 11 pm and 60% read but couldn't go to sleep. I stayed up until 12:30 to finish the book and couldn't sleep for another you after that. It is 6am and I have to get up and get the kids to school and go to work. I am going to be a zombie today. But I am absolutely blown away. I actually hav no words right now. Wow.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 82 comments Wasn't it brilliant, Regina? Such an emotional end to the series (I cried several times LOL), but so well done. It's my favorite of the trilogy.

message 29: by Regina (last edited Aug 25, 2010 11:37AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I am still just amazed, shocked and yes emotional. I really like how Collins wrote about the effect of stress, loss, and violence on people. It is not a light read at all. But still very enjoyable. I was satisfied with how she resolved the "triangle".

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 82 comments Regina wrote: "...I was satisfied with how she resolved the "triangle"."

Definitely! One side of that was especially heartbreaking for me, which I wasn't expecting, but she wrote it so well.

I'm really looking forward to starting the audiobook.

message 31: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I completely agree. It was heartbreaking.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Yesterday I was spoiled and was apprehensive about reading it but now that I'm done I totally agree with you girls about the triangle and the how the emotional strain was detailed. Amazing read.

message 33: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments You guys are killing me! Mine came in the mail today, but I'm not starting it until September 1st. Damn you, challenge addiction!!! ;)

message 34: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL! Only a few more days to go, L³, or you could just rework your challenge list(s). >:)

message 35: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I still have 1.5 books to read for my August challenges, plus I have about 10 more chapters in an audiobook to finish for August. And I have Mockingjay in so many challenges that start Sept 1st--I can force myself to wait 6 more days. :)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments You're a very patient woman, Laura. A very rare virtue these days. I started reading it a minute after the post woman handed it over!

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) SPOILER FREE POST!!!
I just finished reading Mockingjay and it was awesome. It was so sad emotional, and the ending was perfect. If the 'love triangle' would have ended differently I think I may have returned the book never to read it again. Well....not really but it was truly great. Suzanne Collins is a writing genuis wiht all her twists and turns in the story. When I was reading the last chapter I seriously thought NO WAY!!!!

message 38: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Right...patient...definitely not crazy...

I will admit I sometimes like to drag stuff out--i've been waiting forever for that book, but then I'll pick it up and fly through it, and then the series will be all over! Boo hoo. :(

message 39: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Exactly, LLL! I'm anxious to get my hands on mine (still in-transit), but don't want it to end. :\

message 40: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) I ALMOST read the last chapter just so I knew what happened but I was good and read the book front to back.

message 41: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Eeek! That'd just end it waaay too fast. LOL!

message 42: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments Amanda I agree. Collins ended it brilliantly.

message 43: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments ****HAPPY DANCE**** A quiet, polite little Japanese mailman dropped off my BD box this morning and YAYAYAYAYAY!!! Mockingjay hardcover, in all it's light blue glory, is in my hot (clean) little hands! I can't wait! But, I'm saving it for my 12 hour plane ride from Oki to the US next week. I've waited this long, I can wait a few more days. Hopefully it'll help the flight go by quickly. My guess is though that the book will suck me in and I'll read it too fast leaving another 6-8 hrs of plane boredom. LOL! At least by the time I've landed in the US I'll "be in the know". :D

message 44: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments So excited for you!

message 45: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments :D Thanks.

message 46: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Ok, I just finished Mockingjay and loved it! :D I'll post my review when I return home. I am not sure how happy I am with the triangle resolution, but it certainly fits based on how she wrote the final few scenes.

I also spotted an article in Entertainment Weekly magazine called "You Cast The Hunger Games".

"Forget Team Jacob versus Team Edward. The real question is: Are you Team Peeta or Team Gale? With the recent release of Mockingjay, the final installment of Suzanne Collins' best-selling Hunger Games book trilogy, casting can begin for the movie. The rights to the story of Katniss Everdeen - a girl living in a society where teens are forced into an annual televised fight to the death - are owned by Lionsgate, and while the studio says it doesn't have anyone in place yet, the avid fan speculation hasn't gone unnoticed. "The reader suggestions have been inspiring," says Liongate's Alli Shearmur. "Some of the actresses who fans have identified as the best potential Katniss are being considered." We asked EW.com readers who they'd like to see in the film version.

Katniss
Winner - Kaya Scodelario (39%): Best known for Britain's Skins, Clash of the Titans

Peeta
Winner - Hunter Parrish (40%): Best known for playing Mary Louise Parker's oldest son on Showtime's Weeds

Gale
Winner - Gaspard Ulliel (40%): Best known for playing the young Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal Rising

Effie
Winner - Kristin Chenoweth (51%): Best known for Pushing Daisies, Broadway's Wicked

Haymitch
Winner - Hugh Laurie (37%): Best known for House

What do you think? Who would you cast? And are you excited to have a chance to see the Hunger Games on the big screen? or Would you prefer they just left it alone?

Here are a few EW.com links referencing the story:
Cast your vote
Gary Ross to direct movie
Suzanne Collins talks about books she loves

message 48: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I would prefer they just left it alone .....

message 49: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments I'm not sure how I feel about a Games movie. If it sucks, I'll be sad, but if it rocks? Could be cool. But, really, what are the chances of that? Guess we'll find out in 2013.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments For the forthcoming movie they've cast Katniss, Gale and Peeta.

Katniss (Jennifer Lawrence, age 20)

Gale (Liam Hemsworth, age 21)

Peeta (Josh Hutcherson, age 18)

What do you think?

« previous 1