The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > Bring YA to PA / Brooklyn Book Fest / DC Book Fest

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Are any of you going to this event in the West Chester, PA area? I want to go but I don't want to walk around by myself lol!

http://www.bringya2pa.com/

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I would love to go, but I can't. I'm broke. :( It's only 2 hours away too. *sigh*

message 3: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Aww, if it wasn't on the opposite side of the state, I would try to go, but I live in northwestern PA.

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10020 comments Mod
Awwww.. Jamie. Wish I could but I am saving my money and vacation time for the Brooklyn Book Festival on Sept 12th!

I hope you find someone to go with you - take pics and bring back great stories for us!!!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Lori-- I'll be at the Brooklyn Book Festival too! :)

message 6: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Bah. This topic has once again made me want to move back to NYC.

message 7: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Oh Jamie, are you serious? We are going to have to exchange cell phone #'s and hook up while we are there. Are you going with other bookish people????

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I am so serious! We are definitely going to have to meet up there! As of right now I am just going by myself but I'm hoping to get some other bloggers to come! After about 2 years of being in this group, I get to meet Lori the Super Mod! :) WOO!

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

That's really exciting! I was going to be going solo as well (or bringing my mom as a security blanket - she likes going to the book sales with me!).....

I cannot wait to meet you - and any other bloggers out there!!

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yeah Jamie, I saw your tweets about YAPA. I am so happy you had a great time, and braved it on your own.

One thing I have noticed with these things... you are never alone at literary events. There are so many people there to talk to and meet and get to know.... sometimes it's better not to bring a ball-n-chain! They would only slow you down!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Oh for sure! I told my boyfriend that I wouldn't have had as good of a time if he came. I was able to chat freely and take as long as I wanted! If he was there I would have had to hurry because he would have been bored! I met some really awesome people.

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I too am saving up for the Brooklyn Book Fest! I live a few minutes away and am oh-so-excited!!!

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Wait! What is this Brooklyn Book Fest?!! Link, link. I live like 1 1/2 away by train.

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Thanks Donna!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Ooh we should all meet up! :)

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Im cool with that!

message 18: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yeah, we will have a big badass group of TNBBC'ers!!!

As the date gets closer, let's discuss a meet-up pre festival, if that's cool with everyone!!!!

message 19: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I need about $500. This would give me enough money to book a flight to NYC, pay for meals/transportation for the full weekend, AND have plenty of money to spare.

Lodging would be a non-issue, as I have a friend in White Plains who has already given me permission to bum there if I'm in the area.

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I;m down Lori. BUT I might have to bring the hubby and maybe my kiddies too if I can't find a sitter. BUt I will be going with or without them!

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments I cannot afford to fly up to NYC but that book festival looks GREAT!

So I'll have to settle for the National Book Festival in DC - http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/
September 25, 2010

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I might be going to that one too! Haha

message 23: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 326 comments It'll be a madhouse I expect since Suzanne Collins will be there.

message 24: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Let's start talking about hooking up at the Brooklyn Book Festival. It's only one week away. Runs from 10a-6p.

Who's definitely going? Who's interested in meeting up and saying hey? What's everyone planning to see while they are there?

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 616 comments i'm going to the DC one - excited about Diana Gabaldon; Ken Follet and Mem Fox (I loved her books as a kid - australian author, kid's picture books)

message 26: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I'm really tempted to take my friend up on his offer to pay for me to spend an entire weekend in NYC. I'm so sick and tired of being where I am, and I would love to go to the Brooklyn Book Festival. I could definitely use a break from the empty shell my life has become since I graduated.

message 27: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

So Im reading Tinkers and the author, Paul Harding, is going to be BKBF. I wonder if they allow the authors time to sign books. And if so, I wonder if I should bring all the books I have for all the authors I plan on seeing.....

Hmmmm...

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Lori--I'm getting so excited! I was wondering the same thing about the authors signing and if I should bring my books or if I will have to buy them there! ARG!

Caity--You should come! I would love to meet up with you!

message 29: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I emailed one the marketing assistants and am waiting for her to get back to me (today hopefully) about whether the authors are going to do signings. I would have to imagine that they are.... but I dont want to bring a crapload of books with me if they arent or if we arent allowed to bring them in to the festival, you know.

As soon as I hear something, I will let you know!!

message 30: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ok peeps. Those of you planning to attend the BKBF can bring your own books from home to be signed by the authors. Most authors will be signing immediately after their panels/forums.

Trusted sources tell me to get their early to scope the place out and pick up tickets to some of the more popular panels. Tickets are free but are first come first serve.

Getting more and more excited as the days pass.

message 31: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

So besides Jamie and I, who else is planning on going?

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I am!!!!! What day??

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Thanks for finding that out Lori!! I am honestly getting stoked!! Also, the blogger Presenting Lenore ( ( http://presentinglenore.blogspot.com/) is coming too! It looks like it will be a great group of us!!

message 34: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Donna! It will be this Sunday - starts at 10am.
If you want to meet up, PM me your cell phone number. Jamie and I and a couple of other bloggers are planning to meet up as well!

message 35: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Well, if you don't mind my hubby and kiddies! Maybe I can brake away from them but I will PM u my # If I don't answer a text is always best!!!

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Got it Donna! Be sure to text to me back :)

I tend to text rather than call.... so no worries.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I got to hang out with Lori allll day! Be jealous people :)

message 38: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

hahahha! Oh stop Jamie! They will think I put you up to saying that....

Jamie and I hung out all day (with the exception of one hour)! Even though the weather worked against us and we both ended up soggy and wrinkly and disheveled by the end of the day, it was such a great experience.

To those of you who missed it, you should totally plan to go next year! It's free and fun!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Ok, Lori totally paid me 50 bucks to say that...kidding! :)

So fun! I hope everyone gets a chance to get out to something like this. It's so fun especially when you can meet up with people from Goodreads!

message 40: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Sorry I missed you guys. I am glad you had fun tho.

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Did you girls get a lot of freebies?

message 42: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_storie...

I'm on TV. For the first 3 seconds of news footage at the BKBF, look at the bottom right hand corner. See the girl with shoulder length brown hair, white tshirt and jean capri's? THATS ME!

Jamie had gotten up to take a phone call and missed the shot, apparently. The man and woman I am sitting near (who brought their umbrella) are a fellow blogger "Lenore" and her children's author of a hubby Daniel! Ya hoo.....

message 43: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

No, no freebies this time, I'm afraid. Though, there was one author who had a booth and was giving his novels away, so I took one of each!!

message 44: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments IYay for you!! Boo for me :'(

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I can't believe it was when I got up! lol

message 46: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Haha! Yup, because I am no longer eating in that shot, it had to be when you walked over the garbage can to talk on the your phone.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments So excited to meet Jonathan Safran Foer at the National Book Festival this weekend! Anyone else going??

message 48: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Wish I could... You're gonna hafta take loads of pics so I can live vicariously through you!!

message 49: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Where is the National Book Fest?

message 50: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Baltimore/ DC area

« previous 1