Writers and Readers discussion

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (last edited Jul 26, 2014 04:51PM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
Reviewed a book and want to share? Did your own book get a great review? Talk about it and post a link.

message 2: by A.F. (new)

My latest review is posted here on Goodreads: Loose Screws. It's a great memoir written as a collection of amusing anecdotes.

message 3: by A.F. (last edited Feb 05, 2011 11:27AM) (new)

message 4: by L.M. (new)

L.M. Preston (lmpreston) | 7 comments Oh, going to read Beautiful Red!

message 5: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 97 comments I think I need to get organized. I'm still tracking my way through hundred of unanswered emails from the last couple of months, but I'll get up to speed soon. This looks like a good place to link to books reviews and find interesting reads. Thank you so much for including Refracted!

message 6: by A.F. (new)

Sheila wrote: "I think I need to get organized. I'm still tracking my way through hundred of unanswered emails from the last couple of months, but I'll get up to speed soon. This looks like a good place to link t..."

You're welcome, it was a pleasure reading it.

message 8: by Peter (new)

Peter Medley | 2 comments The Perfect Deceit

An intriguing and fascinating book on how countries vie against each other to be top dog on the world stage. Spies, double agents, love triangles -- it’s all in a day’s work for super spy Alexey! In today’s interconnected world, this book gives an interesting perspective on how much competition goes on behind the scenes with ambitions and stakes running high. Hearts are broken and for some power is gained.

Illuminating book on the espionage sphere. Lots of mind games involved. Great book with high drama which makes for a perfect summer read!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Peter, How many dozen threads did you post this? Conduct like yours is what has gotten authors kicked out of many forums where we used to be welcome.

message 10: by A.F. (new)

Just to clarify, since there seems to be a minor conflict, Peter's posting is acceptable here, since the book is not his and he did review it.
But, Peter, in future please clarify that you have reviewed the book or you are recommending it. People will be less likely to cry spam, if you explain yourself.

message 12: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments A. F. wrote: "Just to clarify, since there seems to be a minor conflict, Peter's posting is acceptable here, since the book is not his and he did review it.
But, Peter, in future please clarify that you have re..."

Whoops.

message 13: by A.F. (new)

Anne-Mhairi wrote: "A. F. wrote: "Just to clarify, since there seems to be a minor conflict, Peter's posting is acceptable here, since the book is not his and he did review it.
But, Peter, in future please clarify tha..."

Not too much of a whoops. I had to check out his post to make sure he had it in the right folder.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

A. F. My concern was less for the content of Peter's post than it was for the fact that I found it in so many places.

Bob

message 15: by A.F. (new)

Robert wrote: "A. F. My concern was less for the content of Peter's post than it was for the fact that I found it in so many places.

Bob"

A valid concern which I understand and I agree with. Which is why I monitored Peter's postings here and while he got enthusiastic, he didn't break any of the group rules.
I do allow multiple postings in this group as long as they're in the proper topics (part of the group's purpose is to promote authors), but if things get too spammy I will not hesitate to issue warnings or delete posts.

message 16: by James (new)

James Piper | 5 comments The site provides a 1 to 5 star rating option, similar to amazon.com, but while you can choose 1 to 5 stars, you can also not rate the book and have no stars. Does that equate to a zero rating or no rating?

You can read my rating system on my blog. http://byjamespiper.blogspot.com/2011...

message 17: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 18 comments Although I'm not usually a fan of French history, I had heard so much about Becoming Marie Antoinette that I decided to read it. For me there was maybe more about clothes and hair than I am thrilled to read about, although that is pretty central for the period, but I definitely enjoyed the in-depth reappraisal of Marie Antoinette. Grey gets inside her head in a convincing way. Here's my review.

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 70 comments Terror Cell Terror Cell by Joseph H. Badal

Terror Cell is the second outing in the Bob Danforth series, and it is a dandy! Bob is back in Greece for the CIA where he is faced with multiple terrorist threats and geopolitical intrigue on a grand scale. His career and his life are on the line along with the lives of his wife and now grown Army officer son. The action is non-stop and the body count is high. The only thing more a thriller lover can ask for is excellent writing, and author Joseph Badal delivers in it spades. Highly recommended.

message 19: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 70 comments Make it stay

Make It Stay is the best example of literary fiction I have read in a very long time. Author Joan Frank tells a story of love, life and loss full of memorable characters in language that is always apt and often stunningly original and beautiful. To top it off, her writing is full of psychological and philosophical insights and truths. This is a book not to be missed.

message 20: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 18 comments I've recently finished books by two authors I particularly like, Jacqueline Winspear's Elegy for Eddie and Kate Quinn's Empress of the Seven Hills. Worlds apart in time--Winspear's is set in London between the World Wars and Quinn's travels across the Roman Empire while Trajan was emperor. I loved them both and recommend them. My review of Elegy for Eddie and my review of Empress of the Seven Hills.

message 22: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 18 comments What do modern Tibet, Cleopatra’s Egypt, revolutionary France, contemporary Paris, reincarnation, the Chinese mafia, the Dalai Lama, the catacombs, perfume production, and Greek mythology have to do with each other? Read The Book of Lost Fragrances by M.J. Rose and you will find out. My review

message 23: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 70 comments This is a review of a book by Rachael Abbott that I just finished.
Only the Innocent Only the Innocent by Rachel Abbott

Only The Innocent is one of the best of the hundreds of British mysteries I’ve read. It is on a par with the best work of P.D. James and Elizabeth George. Like them, this book has elements of the classic Scotland Yard police procedural combined with an ingenious and skillfully handled plot and fully developed portraits of victims, suspects, detectives and other important characters that have real psychological depth. I cannot say much more without getting into spoilers, which would be a crime. Suffice it to say Only The Innocent is a must read for lovers of the genre.

message 24: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 70 comments This is a review of a book by GR author Karl Jones I have just finished.

Shattered Shattered by Karl Jones

Shattered is a thriller with elements of the classic British police procedural who-done-it mystery. Fast-paced and action packed with well-developed and engaging characters, it is a highly enjoyable page-turner.

message 25: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 70 comments This is a review of a book by GR author Alex Lukeman I just finished.

White Jade White Jade by Alex Lukeman

White Jade has everything a reader could ask for in an action/adventure thriller: a credible carefully crafted plot, high stakes geopolitics, non-stop action, a high body count, sex, a love story, well researched credible details, engaging characters and excellent writing. I look forward to the further adventures of the Project, Nick and Selena.

message 26: by Tricia (last edited Mar 07, 2012 01:28PM) (new)

Tricia Kristufek | 15 comments A few of my favorite book reviews:
Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
In Wilder Lands: The Fall of Eldvar
Masquerade
Rook: Allie's War

All of my reviews can be found on my websiteas well as on Goodreads.

message 27: by Lee (new)

Lee Holz | 70 comments I just finished Surviving Beauty Surviving Beauty  by David Rory O'Neill and recommend it highly. My review can be found at http://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_...

message 28: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 18 comments I finished the latest of Rebecca Cantrell's mysteries set in Berlin before WWII, A Game of Lies. This one has Hannah Vogel covering the 1936 Olympic games as an undercover Swiss reporter--and gathering intelligence for the British. It's as thought-provoking and page-turning as her other books. Here's my review.

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine Rice (christine_rice) | 82 comments The latest book review I did was on August 21st. It was for Anywhere But Here by Sherri Moorer. You can read the review on my blog here: http://christinericeauthor.wordpress....

message 30: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 18 comments As a mystery set in Florence 1963 with an ingenious crime--more how-done-it than who-done-it, Death in August: A Novelshares a lot of what I like about Donna Leon's books. My review.

message 31: by The Book Outline (new)

The Book Outline (thebookoutline) | 3 comments Adjectives are words that express attributes of something. Example: Brilliant. Example: Painful.
We usually do not come across situations where we can use both these adjectives together to qualify the same noun or pronoun. Curfewed Night is an exception.

Read the complete review on my blog and share your comments.
http://thebookoutline.blogspot.in/201...

message 32: by The Book Outline (new)

The Book Outline (thebookoutline) | 3 comments When I started reading the book, I was of the impression that it should have been more justified to call it a humor novel, but that was until the crime and the detective popped up. Although Mr Majestic – the Tout of Bengaluru is termed as a detective novel by Zac O'Yeah. the book is essentially a hilarious account of Hari, a tout’s adventure in the lanes of the Bengaluru’s underworld, of which Hari himself was also a part of.

Read the complete review of Mr Majestic - The Tout of Bengaluru at http://www.thebookoutline.com/2013/03...

message 33: by The Book Outline (new)

The Book Outline (thebookoutline) | 3 comments Power corrodes most men. I know it has me, and that is why I’m happy to drift away from it through the opium and alcohol my wife prepares for me. It’s great comfort to leave decisions to the empress, and now even she is relieved of that burden since you have taken it on yourself. I warn you, power is lonely - or I found it so.

Read the complete review at http://www.thebookoutline.com/2013/03...

message 34: by Sammi (new)

Sammi (Sammi-N) | 8 comments New review posted up, 'Few are Chosen' by M.T McGuire

http://lilythenovelnerd.wordpress.com...

message 35: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Heck (cjheck62) | 12 comments C.J. Heck
C.J. Heck

This is my 5 Star Review For:

Big Little Book of Whispers by Robert S. Cosmar
Big Little Book of Whispers

"There are some who will say my review of Robert's book isn't as valuable as a review by someone else. After all, I am Robert's life partner. I also edited the book, so surely I must be biased. They are entitled to their opinion, however, they would be wrong.

There are well over 2,000 insights (whispers) in "Big Little Book of Whispers". When I took on the task of editing this 520-page book, my mind tried to convince me it could be a daunting, tedious experience. It was not.

As I began to read, more often than not, I found myself lost within each page, the editing forgotten, my mind and heart working together as I felt each word, each whisper, come alive with meaning.

It took me four readings to finish the editing. Each time I began, I found new truths that touched me, like a seed sprouting and growing, page by page, word by word.

If you are aware, or awakening, this is a book you will cherish. I would give it ten stars ...

Respectfully submitted,
CJ Heck, Author of 5 books

Big Little Book of Whispers, by Robert S. Cosmar
Goodreads Book Giveaway July 1-31

Enter to Win 1 of 11 Autographed Copies:
http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

Read a Preview:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 36: by Robert Steven (new)

Robert Steven Goldstein | 5 comments A review of my novel The Swami Deheftner is being featured this week on the website Dreaming Yoga: http://dreamingyoga.wordpress.com

message 37: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Hi everyone. I am a voracious reader and had been one since as long as I remember.

I have recently started blogging and am absolutely loving it. I am open to all kinds of books but refrain from too much violence or horror
Do check out my book reviews at http://www.bubblews.com/account/45615...

I also blog on various topics. You can check out the same at http://www.nairdevis.wordpress.com

message 38: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Hi everyone. I just posted a new review on a murder mystery. Check it out at Poisoned Waters
The reviews are also posted on Amazon and Goodreads
Thanks in advance :)

message 39: by J.J. (new)

J.J. White | 8 comments Hi. My book, Prodigious Savant, was just released by Black Opal Books and I'm looking for readers interested in Psychological Thrillers. I'll eventually have a Goodreads Giveaway, but for now I'm looking for good or bad reviews from prodigious readers who I assume would post the reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. I would provide a paperback or an electronic ARC book. Sorry, I'm new at this. Book on Goodreads http://tinyurl.com/qco84jt
Website - www.jjwhitebooks.com
JJ

message 40: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Hi All,
I just published reviews for Royal Institute of Magic and Love's Last Call
You can find my Review Policy and Review Request form here
Do get in touch with me for reviews

Cheers
Devi

message 41: by Devi (new)

Devi Nair (views_she_writes) Just finished Sinister which is a YA book, somewhere on the lines of Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl and Curveball which is a romance novel but with an amazing twist. Had fun with both.
Check out my reviews at Sinister (Sinisters #1) and Curveball

Comments and suggestions are always welcome

message 42: by Jim (last edited Apr 29, 2015 08:41AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 111 comments Books Read and My Opinion of Each
126 ratings and reviews.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...