Writers and Readers discussion

Reading Room > Your Favourite Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by A.F. (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1777 comments Mod
List and discuss your favourite authors.

message 2: by A.F. (new)

One of my favourite authors is Guy Gavriel Kay. I love his fantasy books; I'm currently reading his latest, Under Heaven.

message 3: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments Oh my gosh, there are sooo many that I just love to read! I'm not sure how to narrow it down!

J K Rowling for starters (for anyone who knows me, that's a DUH!! LOL)

Anne McCaffrey
Jonathon Stroud
Robert Jordan
RA Salvatore

I'll leave it there for right now...I'll prob add more later!! LOL

message 4: by A.F. (new)

Amy wrote: "Oh my gosh, there are sooo many that I just love to read! I'm not sure how to narrow it down!

J K Rowling for starters (for anyone who knows me, that's a DUH!! LOL)

Anne McCaffrey
Jonathon St..."

Anne McCaffrey's one of my favourites too.

message 5: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I have many, but off the top of my head I have to say Scott Westerfield. While his Uglies, Pretties, etc was darn good, there was something about Peeps that really, really got to me. I couldn't read parts of it, and then I had nightmares! Now that's a good book!

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena | 24 comments I love Neil Gaiman's books. Phillip Pullman. Shannon Hale. Stephen King. Melvin Burgess is awesome.

message 7: by A.F. (new)

Lena wrote: "I love Neil Gaiman's books. Phillip Pullman. Shannon Hale. Stephen King. Melvin Burgess is awesome."

I love Neil Gaiman. Have you read his Sandman comic books?

message 8: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments Lena wrote: "I love Neil Gaiman's books. Phillip Pullman. Shannon Hale. Stephen King. Melvin Burgess is awesome."

I love Phillip Pullman!

Another favorite of mine is Margaret Weis

message 9: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments Kaz the Minotaur is one of my favorite DragonLance books, followed closely by the Legend of Huma! Sorry, I know this isn't a favorite book thread, but a favorite author thread, but I had to throw that out there!! :)

A new author that I have discovered recently that I enjoy reading is Bryan Davis.

If you find out about that book, let me know what it is, it sounds great!

message 10: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 46 comments George R.R. Martin
Jim Butcher
Tom Clancy
Stephen King (in small doses)
Michael J. Sullivan
Scott Lynch (hope he keeps feeling better)

Gosh, I have many more.

Splitter

message 11: by A.F. (last edited Jul 10, 2011 06:28AM) (new)

C.S. wrote: "George R.R. Martin
Jim Butcher
Tom Clancy
Stephen King (in small doses)
Michael J. Sullivan
Scott Lynch (hope he keeps feeling better)

Gosh, I have many more.

Splitter"

We have a love of the first three in common.

message 12: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Green (stacygreen) | 9 comments Anne Rice - The Vampire Chronicles
Tami Hoag
Stephen King

I'm a big suspense/thriller reader, so I'll pretty much try anything with those elements. Love psychological thrillers, figuring out a mystery. I do like some paranormal books. John Harwood's The Seance is a fantastic example of a paranormal mystery in a modern world.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Brock Clarke
Virginia Woolf
Michael Chabon
Terry Pratchett
Neil Gaiman
Jasper Fforde
and many more.

message 14: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments I'm gonna throw another on in the hat - Debora Geary.
She's a newer author and I love her different style.

message 15: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Simon (joshuapsimon) My current top five would look something like this (no particular order after Cook):
1. Glen Cook
2. Joe Abercrombie
3. Steven Erikson
4. George RR Martin
5. Paul Kearney

message 16: by C.S. Splitter (new)

C.S. Splitter | 46 comments Annals of the Black Company was a GREAT series!

Splitter

message 17: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Simon (joshuapsimon) Yeah, The Black Company is Cook's best work but trust me, there is plenty more.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 16, 2011 01:07PM) (new)

I'm a little late but here goes:

1. William Shakespeare
2. Leo Tolstoy
3. Herman Melville
4. Vergil
5. Stephen Jay Gould
6. Homer
7. John Donne
8. Anton Chekhov
9. Noam Chomsky
10. Edith Wharton
11. Nikolai Gogol
12. JRR Tolkien.

Or something of the sort.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have a go, too - but they won't be in any particular order.

Terry Pratchett
Isaac Asimov
(Those 2 head and shoulders above the rest)
The writers below are favourites - but I don't like everything they've written. Does that make sense?)
Anne McCaffrey
Elizabeth Moon
JRR Tolkien
JK Rowling
Mary Stewart
Ursula Le Guin
Jack McDevitt
Timothy Zahn

message 20: by Pat () (new)

Pat () Mary Stewart
Elizabeth Moon
Anne McCaffrey
Helen MacInnes
Patricia Briggs
D A Boulter
Karen Chance
Lee Child
Kit Ehrman
Karan Fenech
Yasmine Galenorn
Teri Reid
Ann Self
L J Sellers
Lyndon Stacey

The list goes on and on....

message 21: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 10 comments L Frank Baum, LM Montgomery, Stephen King, VC Andrews, Salman Rushdie, JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Candace Bushnell, Kieran Desai, Jane Austen, I really enjoy Neil Gaiman but have only read Stardust & American Gods, Danielle Steel (although some of her more recent books I haven't enjoyed as much) Gosh so many list more as I remember

message 22: by A.F. (new)

Jessi wrote: "L Frank Baum, LM Montgomery, Stephen King, VC Andrews, Salman Rushdie, JK Rowling, JRR Tolkien, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Candace Bushnell, Kieran Desai, Jane Austen, I really enjoy Neil Gaiman but ha..."

I can recommend Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels, and the sort-of-sequel to American Gods, Anansi Boys.

message 23: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 10 comments Is Anansi Boys good? I read an excerpt & it seemed interesting. What is the Sandman novels about?

message 24: by A.F. (new)

Jessi wrote: "Is Anansi Boys good? I read an excerpt & it seemed interesting. What is the Sandman novels about?"

I'd have to yes, the Anansi Boys is good, but I'm bias when it comes to Neil Gaiman; I'd probably read the phone book cover to cover if he wrote it.

The Sandman graphic novels are about the adventures Dream, ruler of the world of dreams, and his family the Endless.

message 25: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 10 comments I would probably very much enjoy the Sandman series. Thanks for the tips. I shall try to get to these soon. (Got quite a few books on my shelf I gotta finish first)

message 26: by A.F. (new)

Jessi wrote: "I would probably very much enjoy the Sandman series. Thanks for the tips. I shall try to get to these soon. (Got quite a few books on my shelf I gotta finish first)"

The Sandman series is great.

message 27: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Can anyone say why they like those particular authors? I mean, there are some that a lot of us agree on (for my part I've seen Terry Pratchett and Anne McCaffrey on several lists) but why?

I love TP because he always has some deeper message to convey and while his books are undoubtedly comic fantasy, there's always a serious plot underneath the funnies. There's always something serious at stake.

As for Anne McCaffrey, she introduced me to a scientific route to dragons. How could I not love her?

message 28: by A.F. (new)

Mhairi wrote: "Can anyone say why they like those particular authors? I mean, there are some that a lot of us agree on (for my part I've seen Terry Pratchett and Anne McCaffrey on several lists) but why?

I love ..."

Good point.
I like Neil Gaiman because of the dark undertones he layers into his books; there's always an edge of creepy or strange in his stories.
My other favourite, Guy Gavriel Kay, simply is one of the most beautiful writers I've read; his prose is just exquisite. And the fact he writes fantasy based on actual history doesn't hurt either.

message 29: by Matt (new)

Matt Cowan 1. Ramsey Campbell
2. M.R. James
3. J. Sheridan Le Fanu
4. Manley Wade Wellman

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 29, 2011 04:44AM) (new)

Mark Helprin
Joyce Carol Oates
Ray Bradbury
Maxine Hong Kingston
Shel Silverstein
Neil Gaiman
P.G. Wodehouse
(Oh yes, been reminded ... I like Dickens, too!)

message 31: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 33 comments Lets see!!!

I like Dickens, okay so he has some boring stretches in his books but they are beautifully written and I still think that his descriptions are the best I've ever read, you feel like you're there!!!

I like Georgette Heyer because her books have so much humor and I love the way she portrays the hero's friendships.

P.G Wodehouse, he's so funny!!! Even though Bertie is as thick as a plank you can't help but like him!

I like Lucy Walker too!!!

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 28, 2011 09:55AM) (new)

Colleen McCulloch for her excellent characterisation, sense of place and memorable plots and themes.

My 2 favourite novels of her are Indecent Obsession
The Thorn Birds

Another book I love which is far better than The DaVinci Code is The Prophetess

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Risley (ElizabethRisley) | 8 comments Here are some of my favorite:

Stephen King
J.K. Rowlings
J.R.R. Tolkien
Michael J. Sullivan
C. S. Lewis

message 34: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen Any fans here of
*Haruki Murakami
*JD Salinger
*Philip K. Dick
*Douglas Adams
or Toni Morrison
???

Beloved was perhaps one of the most difficult books to read but was enormously rewarding in the end.

I highly recommend it.

message 35: by Blake (new)

Blake Hoy My favorite authors would have to be Stephen King, John Steinbeck, John Irving and Thomas Harris.

message 36: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 18 comments There's been a lot of discussion around Goodreads of Madeline Miller's The Song of Achilles. It's a fascinating way inside that most iconic of heroes. I found the book so engaging I asked Madeline for an interview in case anyone wants to hear this bright and deep-thinking author speaking out about her book.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I really LOVE Holly black, the author of Tithe, White Cat, and the Spiderwick Chronicles. My heart goes DUB DUB any time she writes anything :>

Also Cassandra Clare author of Immortal Instruments

It's funny they're my favorites when they're also friends in real life.

message 38: by Neil (new)

Neil JRR Tolkien, Margaret Atwood, Guy Gavriel Kay and Isaac Asimov.

message 39: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Hunt (staceytianna) | 5 comments Robert A. Hunt, John Green, Amanda Hocking, Michael Scott, and Meg Haston are my absolute favorites!

message 40: by Robert (new)

Robert Spake (ManofYesterday) | 8 comments Okay...

One I haven't seen mentioned on here, and seems to rarely be mentioned, is W. Somerset Maughm. I think he's really underrated. His prose is beautiful and he deserves much more recognition.

I also love Tennessee Williams for the emotional vibrancy of his characters and Philip K. Dick for the breadth of his imagination.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Little late but my faves are:

(in no particular order)

Dave Eggers
Joe Wilkins
Caitlin Horrocks
Jonathan Franzen
Colum McCann
Charles Portis
Charles Bowden
Isabel Wilkerson
Toni Morrison

message 42: by R.S. (new)

R.S. Novelle (rsnovelle) | 45 comments Oh, there are sooo many! But I'm really becoming more and more fond of Joe Hill. I want to check out a few more of his books. You've all already mentioned the other authors I like :)

message 43: by A.L. (new)

A.L. | 7 comments Dick Francis

Tony Hillerman

Margaruite Henry

Piers Anthony

message 44: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 111 comments My favoite authors are Jean M. Auel, Ray Bradbury, Dan Brown, Suaznne Collins, Kazuo Ishiguro, Gary Jennings, Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, and J.R.R. Tolkien.

Please note: They are listed in alphabetical order, not preference.

message 45: by Annie (new)

Annie (iliveandbreathewords) (iliveandbreathewords) | 3 comments JK Rowling
George RR Martin
James A Owen
Suzanne Collins
Veronica Roth
Rick Riordan

and I'm sure many more :)

message 46: by John (new)

John Logan (johnaalogan) | 92 comments Knut Hamsun
John Kennedy Toole
Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
Stephen King
Milan Kundera
Alan Sharp
Dostoyevsky
Muriel Spark
Jim Thompson (aka The Dime Store Dostoyevsky...tough crime novels told artfully!)

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Laudicina Shel Shusterman

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Laudicina Opps, i meant Neal Shusterman!!

message 49: by Marianne (last edited Aug 11, 2014 09:10AM) (new)

Marianne Perry | 37 comments I fell in love with historical fiction when I was a teen and the first authors in my collection were Taylor Caldwell and Irving Stone. Donna Leon is one of my favourites as her mystery/suspense/crime stories are set in Venice. I always enjoy her stories, love the family depictions and learn more about Venice every time I read one of her books.

Marianne Perry
http://www.marianneperry.ca
Author of The Inheritance

message 50: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Perry | 37 comments Neil wrote: "JRR Tolkien, Margaret Atwood, Guy Gavriel Kay and Isaac Asimov."

As a Canadian and someone who lives on the beach where Margaret Atwood played as a child, I am thrilled to see her inclusion in your response.

Marianne Perry
http://www.marianneperry.ca
Author of The Inheritance

« previous 1