SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Lurkers Come say Hi!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emma (last edited Aug 19, 2010 10:20AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I am a lurker on one of my other book clubs group I'm in except for this one. I read the posts but never reply. , you guys should post a "hi" so we can know you're out there.

Oh and please tell us the last book you rated 5 stars. That's an awesome icebreaker, huh? *pats self on back and then cries when no one responds* :-(

We are glad that you are here, so get involved and please dont be shy.

Ok, if you're a regular poster I guess you can post, too.

message 2: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Yay I'm allowed to post too!

*Posts*

My last 5 star book was... let me look...

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy, #5) by Richelle Mead

message 3: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments High :)

Don't cry we responding :)

Oooh I wanted to start the Vampire Academy series I just haven't managed to fit it in yet. Not to mention I've bought more books than I can read hehe. Erm you don't by any chance have them in pdf format do you :>

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I don't think you count as a lurker anymore Naz :)

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Naz wrote: "High :)

Don't cry we responding :)

Oooh I wanted to start the Vampire Academy series I just haven't managed to fit it in yet. Not to mention I've bought more books than I can read hehe. Erm you d..."

Thanks Naz, and you will love VA, best series so far. And yes I think you are no longer a lurker lol Nice to have you here and have fresh comments

message 6: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Naz,

I have them in Ebook and seeing as they were recommended to me by the special ladies who are not lurkers in this group and I absolutely LOVED them, I must tell you to read them IMMEDIATELY!

Email me at slancaster@macrobert.co.za then I'll send them to you!

Kind regards,

message 7: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
<--- Also a VA lover!

message 8: by Naz (last edited Aug 20, 2010 11:08AM) (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Lol Thanks. I didn't think I counted as a lurker either but I couldn't just leave you to cry ;) besides you said regular posters can comment too.

Yay! Thanks Sonette I'll email you soon :)

message 9: by Nix (new)

Nix Hi! I am currenly rated the number 1 South African reviewer of the month! ...which is... ridiculous!!! ;D

I joined Goodreads about a month ago and still need to find the time to fill up my bookshelves.

The last book which I rated 5 stars was With Good Behavior by Jennifer Lane Jennifer Lane is an American author and you can only buy her book online (PDF ebook; kindle version and/or shipped paperback).

Thanks for inviting me to join the book club, Lu! :)

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Welcome Nix, and congrats on your reviewer rating!
I've managed to hang on to the #4 best reviewer position for the year, but I haven't written a new review in ages so better get cracking...

Enjoy filling up your bookshelves - it can be tedious, but oh so satisfying :)

message 11: by Nix (new)

Nix Thanks for the welcome, Lauren!
The ratings just tell me that not many South Africans are here; or that not many Goodreaders like to "like" reviews! ;)

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hehe, yeah, that's true, but it's nice anyway.

On one of the other booksites I use - LibraryThing - members read and vote for reviews a lot more. One of mine got 96 votes! I was so chuffed :)

message 13: by Nix (new)

Nix *impressed!*

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks :) I got lucky though - the book I reviewed was a hot topic. The second highest number of votes I got is 5, lol.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

halloooooo
Nope not a lurker, I'm usually the one to look up any new threads and post on them :)

I dont generally give a book 5 stars... But some are just classic so I go right ahead.

Fav 5 star book, The great Gatsby

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I might as well post my last 5-star book too;

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Yay Welcome Nix!

message 18: by משה (new)

משה  | 14 comments Hi... ;) Has my obligation as a lurker been fulfilled? This is the first discussion group I've joined and am looking forward to engaging and interacting with many of you.

That sounded corny, I should have just stuck with hi... so HI :)

M

message 19: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2445 comments Mod
Welcome!

message 20: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Lol welcome :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Marlin! Welcome, and I think I speak for a load of us when I say that we look forward to you interacting with us, its great to get some active memebers...

And while I'm here I'm using this opertunity to tell all of you to check out the Blog thread, and to check out some of our blogs, and give your opinion on them? I know I need help! :)

message 22: by Dave-Brendon (new)

Dave-Brendon Burgh (davebrendondeburgh) | 40 comments Hey Guys and Girls, I'm a SFF lover and writer (not published yet, writing my first novel) and I run a SFF-review blog; I work for Exclusive Books and I live in Pta, so I'm a local boy, through and through. :-) If you'd like to check out the blog, here's the blog address: http://davebrendon.wordpress.com

Awesome group, and thanks to Lu for the invite!

By the way, be here Sunday morning more the announcement of a cool SA-only giveaway! :-)

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yay, an sf fan, welcome! Which sf genres/authors do you like Dave?

I used to work at EB too, now I just shop there. Without the discount :( Which branch do you work at?

message 24: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Thanks for telling us about yourself Dave!

0_o Will be here Sunday to see what's happening!

Will also send out a global message to all the members when whatever it is happens :)

message 25: by Crusader (new)

Welcome Dave. Nice blog! Getting review copies must be sweet.

message 26: by Dave-Brendon (new)

Dave-Brendon Burgh (davebrendondeburgh) | 40 comments Lauren wrote: "Yay, an sf fan, welcome! Which sf genres/authors do you like Dave?

I used to work at EB too, now I just shop there. Without the discount :( Which branch do you work at?"

Hey Lauren, I work at the Kolonnade branch in Pretoria, we opened last year April. :-)

I read mostly Epic Fantasy at the moment, but I also read SF (Peter F Hamilton, Tony Ballantyne, Greg Egan, Arthur C Clarke, John Meaney) and I'm just getting into Urban Fantasy, too. :-) I also read the odd thriller and action-adventure, and I also read comics (Superman, Batman, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Justice League America, Detective Comics, etc). :-)

Which branch did you work at Lauren?

message 27: by Dave-Brendon (new)

Dave-Brendon Burgh (davebrendondeburgh) | 40 comments Lu wrote: "Thanks for telling us about yourself Dave!

0_o Will be here Sunday to see what's happening!

Will also send out a global message to all the members when whatever it is happens :)"

Awesome, thanks Lu, and if this works well, there'll be plenty more. ;-)

message 28: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Dave-brendon wrote: "and I also read comics (Superman, Batman, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Justice League America, Detective Comics, etc). :-)"

I collect Green Lantern comics! Well I used to, now I just have them :P

message 29: by Crusader (new)

Dave-brendon wrote: "...but I also read SF (Peter F Hamilton, Tony Ballantyne, Greg Egan, Arthur C Clarke, John Meaney)"

Great taste in SF authors!

message 30: by Dave-Brendon (new)

Dave-Brendon Burgh (davebrendondeburgh) | 40 comments Lu wrote: "Dave-brendon wrote: "and I also read comics (Superman, Batman, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Justice League America, Detective Comics, etc). :-)"

I collect Green Lantern comics! Well I used to, no..."

Have you read Blackest Night, Lu? If not, read it - awesome tale, and Brightest Day is turning out to be quite interesting. :-)

message 31: by Dave-Brendon (new)

Dave-Brendon Burgh (davebrendondeburgh) | 40 comments Crusader wrote: "Dave-brendon wrote: "...but I also read SF (Peter F Hamilton, Tony Ballantyne, Greg Egan, Arthur C Clarke, John Meaney)"

Great taste in SF authors!"

Hehehe thanks, there're plenty of awesome storytellers out there. :-)

message 32: by Dave-Brendon (new)

Dave-Brendon Burgh (davebrendondeburgh) | 40 comments Crusader wrote: "Welcome Dave. Nice blog! Getting review copies must be sweet."

Thanks, Crusader. :-) Yep, I get review-copies from all the big publishers in SA - Jonathan Ball, Random House, Penguin Books and Pan Manmillan, and then I get stuff from the UK and US, too, but I have to tell you, I've got over 100 books I've yet to read and I get an average of 10 new books every month, so it can get get hectic. :-)

message 33: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Dave-brendon wrote: "Crusader wrote: "Welcome Dave. Nice blog! Getting review copies must be sweet."

Thanks, Crusader. :-) Yep, I get review-copies from all the big publishers in SA - Jonathan Ball, Random House, Pe..."

That's great!!!

Dave-brendon wrote: "Lu wrote: "Dave-brendon wrote: "and I also read comics (Superman, Batman, Action Comics, Green Lantern, Justice League America, Detective Comics, etc). :-)"

I collect Green Lantern comics! Well I ..."

Nope not yet

Oh and Dave when whatever happens on Sunday feel free to make a new topic wherever. People will also get a direct email with a notice of a new topic :)

message 34: by Crusader (new)

Dave-brendon wrote: "Crusader wrote: "Welcome Dave. Nice blog! Getting review copies must be sweet."

Thanks, Crusader. :-) Yep, I get review-copies from all the big publishers in SA - Jonathan Ball, Random House, Pe..."

Lucky you! If it gets too much you could always send some of those my way... ;)

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Dave-brendon wrote: "Hey Lauren, I work at the Kolonnade branch in Pretoria, we opened last year April. :-)

I read mostly Epic Fantasy at the moment, but I also read SF (Peter F Hamilton, Tony Ballantyne, Greg Egan, Arthur C Clarke, John Meaney) and I'm just getting into Urban Fantasy, too."

Ah ok, I haven't been to that mall yet. I mostly go to Brooklyn - it's the closest to me. I used to work at the Century City branch in Cape Town.
I forgot about the review copies from publishers - those were great! I still have quite a few. The book hampers at publisher events were awesome as well.

Hmm, I see you're mostly into hard sf and space opera. I love Iain M. Banks, but that's about it for space opera for me, although to be fair I haven't tried the other authors out. If you're thinking of reading urban fantasy, definitely check out China Miéville (especially Perdido Street Station) and Jeff VanderMeer.

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Dave-brendon wrote: "Hey Guys and Girls, I'm a SFF lover and writer (not published yet, writing my first novel) and I run a SFF-review blog; I work for Exclusive Books and I live in Pta, so I'm a local boy, through and..."

Hi Dave, just wanted to wish you a belated Welcome! I have been so busy lately I havent had time to check up on our new members. Thankyou for joining our group and It is great to have someone new to discuss books with....Oh and dont worry ...we like corny here ;-)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Everyone who is here (Yes, I am spamming here...) go visit the Music and Games thingy, there is a thread called Bookmark Swap... need you to read it and say if your in or not :)

Especially you Emma :)
How are you?

message 38: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracymm) | 43 comments hiya! haven't been here for ages and ages. so have lurked a wee bit.

I suck at giving ratings, so last 5 stars was for Carpe Jugulum (Discworld, #23)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Well then Halloooooooooooooooo Tracy

I've only started with the Discworld books....

message 40: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Hi Tracy :D

message 41: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) | 270 comments *waves*
Hi! I am Monique, 26, living in George, ZA. Have a fetish for YA. :)

message 42: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Wooohoo Welcome Monique!

message 43: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments NovelYear wrote: "*waves*
Hi! I am Monique, 26, living in George, ZA. Have a fetish for YA. :)"

Welcome Monique

Monique I also have found a love for YA, there are just so many good books nowadays. Recently read Sarah Dessen and I like her as a writer. What are youre fav YA Monique?

message 44: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments NovelYear wrote: "*waves*
Hi! I am Monique, 26, living in George, ZA. Have a fetish for YA. :)"

*waves back*

message 45: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) | 270 comments Welcome Monique

Monique I also have found a love for YA, there are just so many good books nowaday..."

I adore Sarah Dessen. I have most of her books, but think Just Listen is her best. :) Read just about everything though! My current top reads areThe Hunger Games andGeneration Dead.

message 46: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments NovelYear wrote: "Welcome Monique

Monique I also have found a love for YA, there are just so many good books nowaday..."

I adore Sarah Dessen. I have most of her books, but think Just Listen is her best. :) Read ..."

I have read the Hunger Games and although I liked it, it didnt measure up to all the hype for me, I kept thinking that "Ive read this somewhere before", but I will read the next ones in the series, just not yet.

Have you read Simone Elkeles Monique, perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction are quite good. I am currently reading the sequels to both these books.

message 47: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) | 270 comments Emma wrote: "NovelYear wrote: "Welcome Monique

I adore Sarah Dessen. I have most of her books, but think Just Listen is ..."

I haven't read her, actually. Will look into it, thanks! Have you tried the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books? All four are fantastic!

message 48: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments NovelYear wrote: "Emma wrote: "NovelYear wrote: "Welcome Monique

I adore Sarah Dessen. I have most of her books, but think Ju..."

Hi Monique, I havent read those books but have watched the movies. so I think if I read the books now It would spoilt it for me, seeing as I know the storyline..or are they completely different from the movies?

message 49: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) | 270 comments Emma wrote: "NovelYear wrote: "Emma wrote: "NovelYear wrote: "Welcome Monique

I adore Sarah Dessen. I have most of her b..."

Emma, the first movie is similar to the first book, but the second is a weird mix of the next three. Honestly, I don't think seeing the movies would spoil the books for yopu. Especially the second two, where the girls go through so much that is barely touched by the movies. Plus they are wonderfully written with beautiful quotes as chapter breaks. :)

message 50: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments NovelYear wrote: "Emma wrote: "NovelYear wrote: "Emma wrote: "NovelYear wrote: "Welcome Monique

I adore Sarah Dessen. I have ..."

Thanks Monique I will download them right now. Feel free to recommend any more books to me. I am always looking for new authors. Who are your favourites?

« previous 1