Debate discussion

Other Debates > Transgender Rights

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
Air has suggested a topic on transgender rights.

What do you think about transgender rights?

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 36 comments o_O No. Transgender is the state of someone's "gender identity" and they don't match their "assigned sex".

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael I'm not that aware of the issues around transgender-ness, but I believe they should have equal rights with everyone else.

And the terminator has extra rights, because he's a badass robot. You can't stop the terminator.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Xox is correct. And because of it, transgender rights often get tacked onto gay right, like the phrase LGBT.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan J deleted another post of hers? Wtf?

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Whoa, I didn't even notice that.

wtf is this,

message 7: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 437 comments Meh, is it really that cut and dry? I think the problem is that our society, for some reason, thinks that 1. sex and gender are necessarily correlated and 2. that gender is binary.

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana Xox wrote: "J is stupid for not knowing about the problem face by transgender.

Transgender are normal people who are born with the wrong gender. The problem of the human created society of defining a person..."

ummmm........ how are people born with the wrong gender?

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 36 comments They're born with gender identity issues, they feel as if they are a girl, stuck in a man's body, and vice versa.

message 10: by Diana (new)

Diana I guess they could always go in for counseling....

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 36 comments No, that's not the problem, the should be able to be whatever gender they please.

message 12: by Diana (new)

Diana Yea, but how does someone get put in the wrong gender? It doesn't make sense to me.......

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 36 comments Well, it happens. Google it.

message 14: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 70 comments It's Nature's response to over population. same thing occurs when mice in a cage overpopulate. Other mice just accept them. I doubt if they try to council them, though. :)

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Going to delete that post too, J?

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) What rights do transgenders not have that anyone else doesnt?

message 17: by Diana (new)

Diana Angus wrote: "What rights do transgenders not have that anyone else doesnt?"

Exactly!

message 18: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Simply put. They are not protected against discrimination. Even from just your comments you can see they are not always understood, and for that you decide they are 'problems' that need to be dealt with. Why counsel them, their choice is their's, and they shouldn't have to change it to fit into what you may consider normal.

message 19: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzydavies) transgender rights should be exactly the same as everyone else's. they're people; we're people. this world thinks it's better just coz now it's not as racist but their's sooooooooooo much else to sort out!!!

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) What kind of descrimination are you talking about? Like being hired for jobs? Or marrige or whatever?

message 21: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Yes, being hired for jobs, they aren't protected in many places with hate crime laws, and clearly we do not accept them as we should.

message 22: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga "One of the great advantages of believing in god and in everything the bible says is that it eradicates the need for you to think for yourself. The religious people in this group frequently prove this."

I completely agree and as much as I hate that standpoint I do understand it is appetizing because it is EASY...however they also risk every inch of their belief on a single idea.

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) We'll why shouldnt a private employer to be allowed to higher whoever he wishes? If he thinks that a trangender person working for him will detreact from buiness then why couldnt he turn one down for employment?

message 24: by Nathan (last edited Dec 07, 2010 06:57AM) (new)

Nathan We'll why shouldnt a private employer to be allowed to higher whoever he wishes?

First, it is "hire." Second, should an employer be able to say, "I don't hire blacks or Jews"?

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) Yes, because it's america. An employer has the right to hire people that they dont want to.

message 26: by Nathan (last edited Dec 07, 2010 10:42AM) (new)

Nathan Yes, because it's america. An employer has the right to hire people that they dont want to.

Actually, they don't have the right to not hire someone simply because that person is black or Jewish. So learn the law before you comment on it.

My question was whether or not you thought they should be able to. You said, "Yes, because it is America." That isn't an answer. Why should a person be able to say "We don't hire blacks"? Do you really want to live in a society where racists are allowed to prevent the hiring of minorities if they happen to be a boss at a company? Would it be okay if Delta Airlines one day said, "We are no longer hiring women because we think they are inferior to men"?

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Banana | 48 comments I don't see why Transgender-people shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else. They're humans. Humans should have equal rights. Ergo, they should have the same rights as the rest of us. Isn't that obvious?

Well, I'm waiting to see if anyone has a good reason that they shouldn't have the same rights as the rest of us.

And Angus, though I don't live in America even I know that that's bull. An employer has the right not to hire someone, if that someone is not qualified for the job. An employer can't not hire someone because of their religion, looks, "race", gender, etc.

message 28: by Adam (new)

Adam Anna wrote: "I don't see why Transgender-people shouldn't have the same rights as everyone else. They're humans. Humans should have equal rights. Ergo, they should have the same rights as the rest of us. Isn't ..."

This is all certainly true of Public Companies, such as Delta that Nathan referenced. Private companies might have different laws, so I'm not sure all of those claims are exactly the same. They may not be able to put a sign on the door that says "We don't hire blacks or Jews". But I don't see how the government could force a private owner to hire someone simply because they want to force the private owner to be "equal opportunity." Technically I should be allowed to be racist if I want to be. People are allowed to protest Funerals here... so I don't think this is too much of a stretch in allowance.

As for Transgender rights... when it comes to public companies, they absolutely should be allowed to have the same rights as everyone else. They should be allowed to marry whomever they wish, be whatever they want to be. Just because they had gender identity issues doesn't make them not human anymore. People, for whatever reason, just can't get over anything that isn't the "norm".

message 29: by Lauren (new)

"Technically I should be allowed to be racist if I want to be."

And I'm sure many more people than we think are racists. The point is the laws are so that you can't act on your racism.

"People are allowed to protest Funerals here... so I don't think this is too much of a stretch in allowance."

Just because one stupid thing is allowed doesn't mean we can all be stupid.

message 30: by Adam (new)

Adam That's true, but I'm just saying I should be allowed to be stupid if I want to be. It doesn't make it right or just. Like many educated I wish many others would embrace the insight you can get from being well educated. But, I do have to say, who am I to force that lifestyle on another person? Just as, who are they to force their racist or other ideals on me?

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Education is not destructive. It's end is positive, so does that end justify possible means.

message 32: by Dan (new)

Dan Private companies might have different laws, so I'm not sure all of those claims are exactly the same.

Just because a company is publicly traded doesn't mean that it gets to make its own laws. Labor and civil rights laws still apply to private companies. They still have to, for example, pay at least minimum wage and adhere to OSHA standards.

message 33: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 10 comments There are XO and XYY and various other chromosomes that lead to a birth of a child with no sex. My mother would not have changed me to be one or the other if I were to be born that way, but alas, I'm still 100% female anatomy.

I also believe in the making of unisex bathrooms, and education on GLBT people.

message 34: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj I support trans rights & am against discriminations & hate crimes (which is getting pretty awful these days) against trans ppl.