SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Authors/Publishers/Promotions > SA literary events and book sales

Comments Showing 1-50 of 184 (184 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Do you know of any book launches/signings, author appearances, interesting lectures, seminars or expos in SA?

If so, let us know by posting it here!

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith The The Ancient Egyptian and Near Eastern Society is hosting a public lecture at the University of Pretoria. The topic is Messengers on the Horizon: Ancient Near Eastern Values portrayed by Enochic angels

Summary:
The social values honour and shame, serve as the foundation from which the behaviour of Ancient Near Eastern societies can be interpreted in terms of their behaviour, beliefs and literature. Elements of honour and shame can be identified through a critical reading of The Book of the Watchers in 1 Enoch, through which the Ancient Near Eastern social values are used as the model for the analysis of the behaviour of two Enochic angels. This analysis shows that the values of the Ancient Near Eastern people were represented in literature and embodied by the deities which they believed in, in order to demonstrate the modern conceptions duality and the consequences of shameful actions.

Details:
When: Wednesday 8 September
Time: 18:30 for 19:00
Where: IT Building, room 2-27, University of Pretoria
Entrance: Free

message 3: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments This sounds interesting. I think I will try and attend this!

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Cool, let me know if you do, I'm planning to go as well :)

message 5: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments I will Lauren! Let's see what the diary looks like in the first week of September and then I'll let you know. Tuks is just a stone's throw away from the office so it should be fine!

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Really? I work at UP :)

message 7: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Really Lauren. I'm on the corner of Duncan and Charles. Studied at Tuks until last year. Next year I want to start a doctorate, but still considering the options.

message 8: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments If I may ask, what do you do at Tuks?

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I might come :) But its in the middle of the week and i have to make the trek to Pretoria :(

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
This might not be a literary event but...

One of our members has let me know that:
'forest farm' - on William nicol rd, Bryanston is holding their monthly book sale this weekend. Saturday 10 - 2 and Sunday, similar hours. their books range between 5 - 15 rands and there are many bargains!

message 11: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Sigh I miss JHB

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith This is very short notice but:

The Pretoria State Theatre is hosting An Evening With Alice Walker tonight (07/09) at 7pm. Tickets can be bought from Computicket, and range from R150-R200.

UCT will also be hosting the same event, on 9 September in Jameson Hall, and as far as I can tell the UCT event is free.

More info here: http://whatsonsa.co.za/news/index.php...

Professor Walker will be delivering the 11th Steve Biko Memorial Lecture, and other SA writers will be there as well.

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Thanks for letting us know! Yip a bit late for me :(

message 14: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Aw Lauren!!! I just saw that I completely missed the event! I have been so busy the last two weeks, I have not even been able to visit here often! I'm sorry! We should still do lunch sometime though! Seeing as we're so close.

message 15: by Lauren (last edited Sep 09, 2010 05:31AM) (new)

Lauren Smith OK :) You didn't miss much last night though. The topic was interesting, but the presenter just read extracts from her thesis to the audience. Hard to follow :(

I'm going to the Alice Walker thing at UCT tonight, I hope that's good.

message 16: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Good luck! I hope this one is better!

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Alice Walker was brilliant, I'm so glad I went! She's just a lovely speaker - gentle voice, so gracious. She described how she learnt our national anthem when she was 5, and she's been making her way here ever since. She spoke about her activism in Kenya, Uganda and the Congo, about our activists - Steve Biko of course, and Winnie Mandela - and our own politics at the moment - Zuma's lack of dignity, the strike, how we've forgotten Winnie Mandela and men like De Klerk are considered greater than her.

I'm not much of a patriot (don't believe in nationalism) and she's an American, but SHE made me feel patriotic (in the sense of feeling the country's potential, but being saddened at how its being wasted on greed and ignorance), and a little bit teary...

An amazing woman.

message 18: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments I am so happy you enjoyed this event and that it was better than the previous one! Regret that I had to miss it. Been abosolutely crazy at work!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Sorry to hear that, hope it eases up soon!

I wonder if the event in Pretoria was the same... It's so weird that they charged for that one though, I wonder why. Unless UCT sponsored theirs, maybe.

message 20: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Glad you enjoyed it :D

message 21: by S.A. (new)

S.A. Partridge (sapartridge) | 2 comments The 6th annual Horrorfest is having its Bloody Parchment Halloween reading event at The Book Lounge in Cape Town on 27 October 2010.

Lots of local authors (including me) will be reading a little something scary in the spirit of Halloween.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith The good stuff is always in Cape Town :( I miss living there.

message 23: by Nix (new)

Nix Lauren wrote: "The good stuff is always in Cape Town :( I miss living there."

At least you escaped the WIND! ;)

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Haha, I don't mind the wind, it's worth it.

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Ahhh i'm also going to miss it :(

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith If there's a Margaret Atwood book on your Goodreads shelf you would already have received this message, but for those who missed it, or those who haven't read her work but are interested anyway, Goodreads will be hosting a Q&A with Atwood from today until 24th September.

The group for the Q&A is here: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...
You can just lurk, or you can join the group to comment or receive notifications of new posts.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Exclusive Books in Brooklyn Mall, Pretoria is hosting the launch of Unlikely Secret Agent by Ronnie Kasrils by Ronnie Kasrils.

Date: Tuesday, 28 September
Time: 6 for 6:30pm
RSVP: brooklyn@exclusivebooks.co.za or 012 346 5864

More information here: http://209.212.116.205/newsletters/un...

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith There will be a bookfair at the Sandton Convention Centre, from 26-28 November:
http://www.bookex.co.za/

One of our members, Dave-Brendon, will also be chairing a sci fi and horror panel discussion featuring Lauren Beaukes, Sarah Lotz and Louis Greenberg. That's at 4pm on Sunday.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Will anybody be going to BookEx? I will (probably) be there on Sunday afternoon, if you want to meet and have coffee or something :)

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 59 comments ADAMS BOOKSELLERS invite you to a book launch.
PLACE: Adams Bookshop, Shop 223 Musgrave Centre.
DATE: 17 December 2010-12-06
TIME: 5.30 for 6pm
Snacks and drinks will be served.

Come and meet Sue Court, an ex Durbanite who has written an intriguing tale set in 1815 in the Cape Colony.
Edward Lacey sails to Simons Bay with his only daughter Charlotte, to assume his duties as Commander-in-Chief of the Cape of Good Hope.
Shortly after they arrive, Charlotte falls in love with her handsome cousin John du Rand, an officer in the Royal Navy.
But is John all he appears to be?

Ellen, Charlotte’s ladies maid engages in a clandestine relationship with Sam, illegitimate son of a Dutch burger.

Tragedy overtakes this couple and a long hidden Lacey family secret is unearthed.

Sue Court was educated at Northlands Girls High School and graduated with a BA from Natal University where she subsequently lectured. She now lives in the UK.

Please let us know if you will be attending as this helps with our catering.
Please RSVP to Beverly at 031-3194300

Something to Read on the Plane
The Breadwinners
But Can You Drink The Water?

message 31: by Lauren (last edited Dec 10, 2010 01:10PM) (new)

Lauren Smith The Mall by S. L. Grey

It's a surreal South African horror novel and it's only going to be published in June 2011, but between Christmas and 6 January, you can buy the Kindle edition for just £1! Or thereabouts... The publisher, Corvus, is running a 12 Days of Kindle promotion, where they will sell 12 Kindle books for £1 each. The promotion is for Amazon.co.uk, but Corvus is planning to make The Mall available to SA readers too.

If you don't have a Kindle, you can download a Kindle reader from Amazon. More info here: http://slgrey.book.co.za/blog/2010/12...

Don't you just love cheap books?

message 32: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
I love cheap books!

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Unfortunately it turns out that there aren't any cheap books in this case, unless you have a UK Amazon account. South Africans can still get the Kindle edition of The Mall 6 months early, but with a $12 price tag.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith The Exclusive Books Summer Sale will be starting on 26 January for Fanatics members, and on 27 January for everyone else. Can't wait!

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Penguin Books is hosting a live webchat with Spud author John van de Ruit on 25 March, 3-4pm.
http://www.penguinbooks.co.za/blog/bo...

message 36: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12633 comments Mod
Oooh that's interesting!

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith It's the first birthday of EB's online store Exclus1ves.co.za. Everything on the site is discounted by 20% for today, and they're offering free shipping on everything until 15 June.
http://www.facebook.com/ExclusiveBook...

message 38: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments That's great! Too bad the site won't let me log in.
"Login error: Currently we are unable to process your request. Kindly try again later."

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hmm, must be too much traffic. Admittedly, the only reason I use their online store is for bargains. The service is terrible. For some reason I always have to log on twice before I'm logged on, and most of my previous orders are listed as "processing" even though I picked them up ages ago.

message 40: by Claudia (last edited Mar 15, 2011 03:35AM) (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments So far I've had great service from them. Their order status terms are a bit confusing though.

I see the site is down for maintenance now.

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yeah, I guess I can't complain about normal delivery times - they're pretty quick. It's mostly just little sloppy things about the website that bug me.

message 42: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Wonder if they'll be losing a ton of profit with all the free shipping. I ordered 3 books, delivery times 48 hours, 5-9 days and 15 days, and selected "ship as available". =P

message 43: by Barbara (last edited Mar 15, 2011 01:32PM) (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Ok, I know this isn't a SA literary event but a Dutch one, but I was wondering if you guys have something similar. Tonight we have het Boekenbal. This is a big gala for all the dutch authors and this opens de Boekenweek. This is a week (well actually 10 days) where there all these book signings and special deals and all kinds of things are organised to promote reading and books and especially dutch books. Every year there is a theme and an author is asked to write a novella/novel about that theme. This novella is given away in bookstores if you buy a new dutch book worth 12,50 euros which is a standard price for new books here. As an extra bonus you can travel for free on the trains on sunday if you have this book with you.
In the fall this is also done with children's books.

message 44: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith That's really cool, I wish something like that could be held here! We do have a Cape Town Book Fair, and last year a smaller book fair was hosted in Joburg. However, these events are more for the publishers than the authors themselves. Every publisher who takes part gets a stand/floor space to promote/sell their books, and they may host discussions as well. But of course there are interviews/talks/signings with SA authors too.

I've also just found out that the Cape Town Book Fair will not be held this year, as it's going to become a biennale fair, starting next year.

message 45: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Ah, it seems EB has extended their 20% special! So if you missed it yesterday you can still get something today.
Exclus1ves.co.za

message 46: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 126 comments @Lauren. Thanks for the exclus1ves anouncement yesterday.

Got a free book over buying in store as I would have.

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith No problem :)
How did you get a free book?

message 48: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed | 126 comments R100 for Bad Science and R64 for Moxyland - 20% was cheaper than Bad Science instore @ R149.

Sucks for the store since I'm having it delivered there anyway.

message 49: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yeah, the other day I reserved a book at my local branch, but then bought it for less online and picked it up at the same store.

message 50: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Exclusive Books is hosting a launch party for Zakes Mda's new book Sometimes There is a Void.

Hyde Park, 6pm for 6:30
http://www.penguinbooks.co.za/data/co...

« previous 1 3 4