The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC's Lists > Favorite SciFi/Fantasy list

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Okay, so I've read my fair share of science fiction and fantasy books. In fact, I've probably read a lot of other people's shares as well. So I thought I'd go ahead and put together a list of some of my favorites:

My all-time favorite SF/Fantasy books:
15) Imajica by Clive Barker
14) American Gods by Neil Gaiman
13) Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan
12) The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson
11) I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein
10) Count Zero by William Gibson
09) Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons
08) The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
07) The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
06) Distraction by Bruce Sterling
05) Speaker For The Dead by Orson Scott Card
04) Child of Fortune by Norman Spinrad
03) Snowcrash by Neil Stephenson
02) Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
01) Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

SF/Fantasy that I'm sort of ashamed to have liked as much as I have (in no particular order):

10) The Original Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks
09) Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
08) Every Forgotten Realms book ever written by R.A. Salvatore
07) Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton
06) X-Wing: Rogue Squadron/Wraith Squadron series by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston
05) The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman
04) Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green
03) Armor by John Steakley
02) Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
01) Bazil Broketail series by Christopher Rowley

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
If you are ashamed of the Death Gate Cycle, then I guess I should be too! That was my first series as a sci fi.. I read those back in high school. A friend of mine had them and encouraged me to read them. While I cant really rememeber much except that the world was split into the different elements, at the time I fell in love with it!! And devoured them from start to finish!

Your sci-fi 'ashamed' list is like my chick-lit... hee hee. I think you have encouraged me to make a list for that, since none of the other girls have done so yet :)

message 3: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments I loved the Death Gate Cycle. I first read them when I was in sixth grade and neither my school library nor my local library carried them so I would sit in a bookstore that was a quick bike ride from my house and sit with my nose buried in each book all day during the summer. This is also how I read all of Arthur C. Clarke's Rama books. I should thank that bookstore owner, this was back in the days before bookstores were putting in cafes and whatnot to keep people in the store and I would just sit on the floor in the scifi section and read.

I started buying them so I could reread them a couple years ago, but only got the first two books before I got distracted by something else. I keep intending to go back and finish them again, but just haven't made it yet. I think that'll have to be my goal for this Fall.

It's a stunning series. The writing is crisp, the universe is very detailed, and Haplo is one of my favorite characters.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Logan - Loved Imajica! Did you ever read The Great and Secret Show or Everville by Clive Barker?

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (last edited Jul 10, 2008 04:45PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Not sure I can pull off 10, but I will do my best and put my 5 Top Sci Fi list together....

1. Gils All Fright Diner - A.Lee Martinez
2. Good Omens - Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett
3. Death Gate Cycle - Margaret Weis
4. Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury
5. Hitchhickers Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Edited** how the heck did I NOT put Chistopher Moore in here???!!! Anything by Moore is great! I really loved A Dirty Job, Bloodsucking Fiends, and The Stupidest Angel...

message 6: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 1128 comments Not yet. I've only read Imajica, Weaveworld, and Thief of Always- all of which are some of my favorite books of all time. I keep intending to read more Barker, but it's just one of those things that hasn't happened yet. I've heard tons of great things about his Abarat series.

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I loved Thief of Always! I'll have to go add it to my YA favorites list.

Gil's All Fright Diner was a lot of fun.

Logan, I couldn't finish Altered Carbon. It had some brilliant ideas, but the excessive violence and frenetic pace made me abandon the book early on.

message 8: by Santina (new)

Santina (littlesaintina) | 76 comments I must read Speaker for the Dead. I read Ender's Game, but I keep hearing Speaker for the Dead is even better.

message 9: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC Point of information for all of you SciFi enthusiasts. This month's issue of Bookmarks magazine has devoted several pages to science fiction. It analyzes the various types and lists the best books in each type.

message 10: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC My top 5 fantasy books--
1. Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro
2. Fantastic Voyage by Asimov
3. Time Traveler's Wife by Niffennegger
4. Any of the books in the Narnia series
5. The Giver by Lowry

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Kathy, is Bookmarks good? I'm afraid to say I've never read it!

Numero Uno for me: The Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny.

I have to think about it before posting the other 9. So many great sci-fi books!

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mcd724) | 117 comments Question: Are the Narnia books sci-fi? Or would they be fantasy? Or are the two terms interchangeable? I know genre definition is not an exact science, but I guess I tend to put them together, but I am not really a purist. And to be honest I haven't read that much. I have to plead ignorance here. I will definitely use these lists as a starting point...

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Fantasy is based on magic. Science fiction is based on science with hard sci-fi going on actual facts and the others going with speculation based on already discovered facts.

There's some cross-over. Roger Zelazny is considered science fiction but in fact many of his books do include magical elements, somewhere couched in science.

message 14: by ScottK (last edited Jul 10, 2008 09:21PM) (new)

ScottK | 535 comments Top 10 Fantasy Series/Novels that I have read in no order in particular:

1) The Riftwar Saga- Raymond E. Feist (5 OR 6 Books)
2) The Last Rune Series- Mark Anthony (6 books)
3) The Belgariad Series- David Eddings (6 books)
4) Magic's Promise- Mercedes Lackey (3 books)
5)Lord of the Rings Of course-J.R.R. Tolken (3 books)
6) The Hobbit- J.R.R. Tolken
7) Sword of Truth Series- Terry Goodkind (I think it is up to book 11 now)I have only read the first 4.
8) Harry Potter (Never thought I would get into these but I did).
9) Incarnations of Immortality- Piers Anthony (8 books I think)
10) The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss (New series, only the first book has been published, second to come out in October).

Wheeeew that was hard!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I read a lot of Maragaret Weis & Tracy Hickman in high school. I think it was the Dragonlance series. I have since read some bad reviews but I loved them at the time.

It is not my main genre, but I have developed a liking for a few authors:

1) Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon was amazing. I haven't read any of her other fantasy novels but my has read a couple and loved them.
2) Sara Douglass - Great plots but frustrating endings. This woman must write for 10 hours a day because she cranks out 600 page sagas left and write.
3) Terry Pratchett - Funny and engaging plot.
4) James Hetley - This is a bit of a plug for a Maine author. He has written 4 books I believe and they are probably not so easy to come by, but I think they are worth reading. Winter Oak and Summer Country

I like Tolkien and loved the Hobbit and great school. I reread it a few years ago and it seemed like a totally different book. I still liked it but it wasn't a "can't put this down" book for me this time around. That could have been in part to family and greater life responsibilities.

message 16: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 1 comments Lori, I really enjoy Bookmarks magazine. It is rare that I don't find a book there that interests me.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Thanks Amelia! I'm going to subscribe right now.

message 18: by Kathy McC (new)

Kathy McC Lori- I love Bookmarks. One disadvantage, I always find more boos to add to my To Read list. But there are great reviews and interesting author articles.