What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mrs. Purdy's Children
This topic is about Mrs. Purdy's Children
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Redheaded kids born from the Roanoke Plant! [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 164 comments I'm looking for a book I read in about 1983 about a family where half the children were the parents' biological children, and half were born from pods that grew on a weird vine in the backyard called a Roanoke Plant. It's for elementary school age, and I thought had a cover illustrated by Steven Kellogg. The dad had disappeared years before (I think on an Alaskan expedition), and the mom worked all the time to make ends meet. The older kids watched out for the younger ones, and it all went great until the city decided to give the mother a Mother of the Year Award and realized that she had "had" several more kids AFTER her husband disappeared. There's a big to-do, and then they explain about the plant. The town helps out, and they find the father, destroy the plant, and all go home happy. All the kids have red hair, no matter how they were born, and the older kids take turns being in charge and presiding over family councils. They have elastic slings hanging from the ceilings to keep the babies in. I could swear the dad had been in Alaska, and came home with a tour bus with a polar bear painted on the side.

message 2: by Donna (last edited Aug 18, 2010 10:27PM) (new)

Donna (deety) | 24 comments I'm pretty sure that's Mrs. Purdy's Children, by Ruth Loomis, and yeah, Steven Kellogg did the illustrations.

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL491182....

Jessica (jessdaygeorge) | 164 comments Yes, that's it! Thank you so much!