Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Please combine The Golden Compass

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/89...

I just created an eBook listing for The Golden Compass since there wasn't one. It needs to be combined. Thanks!

One question though... The ISBN is used for a version that I don't know if it exists or not. The version is unbound. I never heard of a book being unbound. Is that a real version? The ISBN in question is 9780440418603.

Thanks.

message 2: by vicki_girl (last edited Aug 18, 2010 07:45PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments According to Worldcat's listing for ISBN 9780440418603, the format should be "ebook". I'll update the record for that ISBN and then merge it with your manually created one. Likely "unbound" is an amazon import thing...:S

EDIT: Never mind. I just combined it without merging. The one you created appears to have a different cover than the one in Worldcat.

message 3: by JSWolf (last edited Aug 19, 2010 06:53AM) (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments The combined listing now has lost the fact that it's an eBook and the proper cover is here at http://images.contentreserve.com/Imag...

And as long as it's combined, can you move the ISBN numbers from the description into the actual ISBN fields please? Thanks.

Thanks.

message 4: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 19, 2010 06:59AM) (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments I put 'ebook' back as the type, but the combined listing won't take the ISBN that you listed in the description. I'm getting the 'duplicate ISBN' error message:

2 errors prohibited this book from being saved
There were problems with the following fields:

Isbn is taken by an existing book with the title "The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)". Search for 0440418607 in the header to view it. If you believe this is an error please double-check your data, then check the Goodreads Librarians group. ISBNs are optional so you can also add this book without an ISBN.
Isbn13 is taken by an existing book with the title "The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)". Search for 9780440418603 in the header to view it. If you believe this is an error please double-check your data, then check the Goodreads Librarians group. ISBNs are optional so you can also add this book without an ISBN.

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Carolyn, the information on adding alternate cover editions is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85...

You should add a librarian's note on the books as well, but other than that it looks correct.

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Cait wrote: "Carolyn, the information on adding alternate cover editions is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/85......"

Yes, thanks Cait, I left it as an alternate cover edition, I was just sharing with JSWolf why the ISBN #s couldn't go in the ISBN fields, as he was expecting.

message 7: by JSWolf (last edited Aug 19, 2010 07:39AM) (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments It's actually not an alternate cover edition. It's a mistake that I chose a cover image originally that was incorrect. The correct cover image is linked in message #3. So if someone would please fix the cover, then all will be well.

I've just noticed something odd. The ISBN is now pointing to a version that it did not point to when I created this listing originally. Originally, the ISBN pointed to the unbound edition.

message 8: by vicki_girl (last edited Aug 19, 2010 09:28AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I changed the "unbound" to "ebook" in that listing, since that's what worldcat had for that ISBN.

I will switch the covers for you. I see that they are similar but not identical...working on it now.

ETA: ...and done. I also added the librarian note about it being an alternate cover edition.

message 9: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments Thank you! Looks good to me.