Lord of the Rings group discussion

Movies > Return of the King

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cody, Hir en Dagor (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 87 comments Mod
talk about the final movie

Diabolical Daemonic   (DemonicAngel) | 3 comments I only ever watche dit once and my cousin ruined it, so its all a little foggy. I have to buy the DVD.

message 3: by Cody, Hir en Dagor (new)

yes yes you do

message 4: by Sophie710 (last edited Mar 01, 2011 03:38PM) (new)

Sophie710 | 75 comments the extended version has all the best parts. such as the drinking game...
turns out while dwarves get drunk very fast, elves have a resistance to beer. heres a link to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vUOwz...

message 5: by Cody, Hir en Dagor (new)

Well look how many Tankards Gimli has compared to Legolas they're just faster drinkers ;)

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Lol, you just like Dwarves. Don't you?

message 7: by Cody, Hir en Dagor (new)

lol no I actually prefer elves but I will admit elves are more wine drinkers. XD

message 8: by Sophie710 (new)

Sophie710 | 75 comments yeah, elves can get drunk from wine, as shown in the hobbit.
but dwarves are the ultimate funny species, although elves are awesome-er

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Cody wrote: "lol no I actually prefer elves but I will admit elves are more wine drinkers. XD"

I like elves better too. But I agree with Sophie that Dwarves are more funny.

message 10: by Sophie710 (last edited Mar 29, 2011 02:18PM) (new)

Sophie710 | 75 comments you know this movie got 11 academy awards? only 3 movies including this one ever got that. it won best movie. and people wonder why i like it so much. its because the entire series got 17 AWARDS IN TOTAL and no other series has beat that in the 6 or 7 years since the last one came out. haHA!

message 11: by Cody, Hir en Dagor (new)

That's awesome :)

message 12: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 30, 2011 04:31PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Totally! It's epic!

Queen Susan the Gentle (highqueensusanofcairparavel) Sophie710 wrote: "the extended version has all the best parts. such as the drinking game...
turns out while dwarves get drunk very fast, elves have a resistance to beer. heres a link to it.
http://www.youtube.com/..."

Love it.

message 14: by Sophie710 (new)

Sophie710 | 75 comments i sort of freaked out when i realized it was extended, because i watched the extended version first. the first time i saw the normal version................ well lets say it wasn't a good experience for me.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Yeah, the extended it better.

Queen Susan the Gentle (highqueensusanofcairparavel) Much much better.

message 17: by L (new)

L What a drematic and fantastic ending to a brilliant series of films, that evoke JRR Tolkien's work beautifully bringing his vision and creativity to life. The journey that the viewer goes on through the first two films is so emotive and extensive by the time you watch the Return of the king you will be sitting on the edge of your seat, waiting in suspence as to finding out the conclusion to this epic saga and legendary quest.

Following Frodo's journey all the way by the time it ended i could not help but cry, as it came as quite a shock to myself (as well as the character) that it was all over and the journey was not at its end. Just brilliant. AMAZING!

message 18: by Lynx (new)

Lynx | 25 comments I've never seen the movies, because I just finished Return of the King today. It was AWESOME!!!!

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Oh, you have to see the movies now Elena!

message 20: by Lynx (new)

Lynx | 25 comments We just watched them! Return of the King is my Favorite. These movies are now tied with StarWars for my favorite movies, and that's really saying something.

message 21: by Lótë (Iris) (new)

Lótë (Iris) (irisflowerpoppyseed) | 6 comments I've probably seen The Return of the King the most out of all the movies.
I actually just watched it twice in one night about six days ago.
I love all the war scenes.
They did so great at making everything seem so real.
Splendid movie.

message 22: by Celia (new)

Celia (menel-char-pippin-ronald-sasha) It took a while for me to watch.... four hours!!! I loved the movie and enjoyed every part of it and barely realized that...but still...it's hard to watch tv for four hours!

message 23: by C (last edited Apr 29, 2013 09:41PM) (new)

C (beyondtheveil) | 2 comments My mother, father, elder brother, and I watched it when I was younger. She, and the rest of the family fell asleep halfway through, and I was the only one of our quartet who finished the movie. It was great, but I felt it could've been slightly condensed. The hobbit goodbye was quite lengthy.... I do not understand how everyone is infatuated with Legolas. Personally, I like Frodo and his severe flaws.

message 24: by Strider (new)

Strider | 104 comments Jackson had to tread carefully between producing a movie that would satisfy Tolkien buffs and the average movie-goer. He had to balance the "authorized version" with the "entertain me version." No small task!

With literally billions of dollars generated worldwide from the LOTR Trilogy, most would say Jackson et al succeeded. But, as Boromir was told, "the only evil that comes into this valley is the evil one brings with them",something similar can be said with how we all perceived the movie: It is the need, the desire, our internal passion(s) for something beyond ourselves, that quite often wishes the film/movie was made more "in our image and likeness."

I fear I am often to blame for my shortsightedness when criticising a film producer for the way he produces a movie, as the criticism is more a reflection of who I am and my inner desires, than the film-maker's failure to produce a balanced movie. For me, that finger seems to point directly back at me, most every time. :-)

message 25: by Wm. Scott (new)

Wm. Scott Conway (wsconway) | 2 comments Well, for me, when I watch a movie based upon a book I care a lot about, I can endure creative cinematic license as long as the spirit of the book is retained.

I think Jackson does manage to retain the spirit in which Tolkien's writing were written. A legend grand in scope and detail. It felt like a window into Middle-Earth.

Now, Disney's (and subsequently Fox's) hack job of the Narnia books are another story completely. They never felt like Narnia, Aslan never felt like Aslan, and the Pevensie's never felt like the Pevensie's (except for Lucy). The storylines were butchered, essential details were sacrificed, while extraneous details were added. These movies gave credence for Lewis's distaste for Disney he had, based on abominable retelling of fairy tales Lewis held in high-esteem.

message 26: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Rahi (kimmierahi) Check out my review on "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" Comments are welcome! Lets get a debate going!

http://beautifulreaderkimmie.wordpres...

message 27: by brooke1994 (last edited Jan 06, 2014 08:01PM) (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 20 comments I love the battle scenes and the music in The Return of the King it's awesome :)

message 28: by C (new)

C (beyondtheveil) | 2 comments The music, yes!

message 29: by Lynx (new)

Lynx | 25 comments THE MUSIC IS EPIC!! I like to listen to it and feel like I'm saving the world.

message 30: by Evelina (new)

Evelina (EvelinaOfTheElves) | 32 comments I listen to it and get an inferiority complex.

Me: Ooo, I just composed an epic violin song for Music Theory 1!

Return of the King: Lol, nope.

message 31: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 20 comments The music is amazing

message 32: by Strider (new)

Strider | 104 comments Howard Shore did an over-the-top performance in the creation of the LOTR score. He especially did his homework on the instruments he included in the orchestra also, specifically the woodwinds rarely used today. After reading several articles on his research, and listening to a pre-performance explanation of all the unique additions (instruments) to the orchestra and why, I came to realize that the molding of the music uniquely to Middle Earth was no accident. Everything seemed to have its own theme, from Hobbits, to Ringwraiths, even Sauron. . . . . and evil in general. One could close their eyes and still follow the themes of the movies.

Shore demonstrated to me in these 3 scores the enormous creativity of the human mind when skillfully harnessed to a cause!

I sometimes feel quite envious of those who have the ability to take arbitrary notes and creatively arrange them in such a way as to bring them to life in ways we all can experience. But then I also realize how fortunate I am to have been created with the ability to comprehend and enjoy such musical creations.

Thanks, Howard, for lending that musical genius of yours to a story that you helped to make come alive with depth and dimension. And this was driven home to me when I tried watching part of one of the movies WITHOUT SOUND. I can listen to the music -- by CD, mp3, live orchestra -- without watching the movie; but I cannot watch the movie without the music. Indispensable!!

message 33: by Strider (new)

Strider | 104 comments Evelina, you play violin? My favorite instrument in orchestras. They were absolutely indispensable in LOTR. I have worked for two individuals here in Des Moines that played violin in our local symphomy. Top notch professionals. The job I was doing would have taken much less time, had not I been asking them scores of questions pertaining to their talent and work with the symphony. They were so interesting to talk with. Tell us more about your direction with your music/violin.

message 34: by Strider (new)

Strider | 104 comments For those of you who may differ a bit with my disappointments surrounding the two Hobbit films, here is a very good column dealing with some of the things surrounding how PJ has not only not lived up to our expectations, but even the observation that the Tolkien Estate is not particularly thrilled with the latest attempts at "consumerism" ( my word).

The column is basically addressing whether or not the Silmarillion could be successfully be made to fit on the big screen. The author does not think so, and explains why. I felt it a very good and reasoned read.

The most positive thing I gleaned from this column was that the Silmarillion still totally belongs to the Tolkien Estate, and that (as I understood it) there was probably a greater chance of finding a snowball in Death Valley in mid-August at noon, than in the cinematic industry laying their restless hands on Tolkien's monumental work, and turning it into another money laundering scheme!! Now maybe I can sleep better at night. :)

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Yeah, I'm kind of happy they're keeping hold of it.

message 36: by Strider (new)

Strider | 104 comments I have continued researching the divisions that have arisen between the Tolkien Estate and the Warner, et al, misuse of the works of Tolkien. For those interested, here is just a couple excerpts from a first-ever interview with Christopher Tolkien, son of J.R.R. One thing is for certain now: The Tolkien Estate had officially commented on the debotchery and misrepresentation of the legendary books. They in no way give their approval of the damage PJ et al have done in moving the books' typeset to the big screen.

Basically, Christopher, speaking for the family, is sick to death to what has been done to their father's work. And I agree 100%!!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansite...

Here is the sight, if you wish to read part of it. It also links to the entire interview, if you're interested. Strider

message 37: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) I haven't seen the extended edition of The Return of the King yet :( I really really really want to though! So many good parts in it that the plain versions doesn't have like the drinking game! One of my favorite scenes!

message 38: by Strider (new)

Strider | 104 comments Becki, once you watch the Extended Version, you'll be hooked. No more watching the regular version. Too bad they did not release the EV originally, as it connects several pieces of the plot together that would help the newby grasp it better.

message 39: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) Oh i'm sure I will! I've seen both the regular and the extended of the first two and LOVE the extended so much more! Will only watch those from now on. The only reason I didn't watch the ext. of the Return of the King is because my library doesn't have it and to buy it is really really expensive!

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Hey Rebecca, you might be able to find a used one for less. I always use this site (http://www.half.com) when I buy my books. I've gotten a bunch of books for $0.95 with a couple dollars shipping. I see some Return of the King extended for under $10. http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQprZ...

message 41: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) Thank you for the suggestions Elizabeth!!!! I will look it up!:)

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) No problem, hope you are able to get a set.

message 43: by Allison (new)

Allison Lady Galadriel (TheLadyGaladriel) | 11 comments Movie very nice love the action of the battle moments
:]

message 44: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) Allison wrote: "Movie very nice love the action of the battle moments
:]"

I agree with you Allison, the battle moments are some of the best in the movie! I also really love the music (Not just in RK but in all three LOTR), especially the riders of Rohan music. SO beautiful and moving!

message 45: by Mary Grace (new)

Mary Grace (jaded_angel) | 24 comments I just saw it for the first time yesterday. I cried from Theoden's death to the end of the movie, consistently crying. Theoden's death, For Frodo, and the Grey Havens were the parts I cried at the most. :'( Brilliant movie though. My favorite out of the trilogy, although The Two Towers was my favorite book.

message 46: by James (new)

James Amerson | 20 comments I know I'm a few years late in posting this comment / review, but Peter Jackson did a slam-bang amazing job on all 3 LOTR movies. Not so much on any of the Hobbit movies. I don't think anyone would ever dare try an adaptation of the Simarillion. It was much too complicated and required too much prior knowledge of the subject.

message 47: by James (new)

James Amerson | 20 comments My favorite scene of any of the 3 movies was the battle of Helms Deep. I have read the whole trilogy, plus The Hobbit, at least 10 times since 1972 ( yeah, I'm old ), so I feel I'm somewhat qualified to my point of view.

message 48: by James (new)

James Amerson | 20 comments Scour your local Salvation Army thrift stores on a regular basis for the books. They may be a little beaten up, but to me, those are the best kind.

message 49: by Mary Grace (new)

Mary Grace (jaded_angel) | 24 comments I have all three books combined, and that thing is so heavy, it is so beaten up but i love it, i carry it with me everywhere, I've only read it once, just started re reading. But i always flip open to a random page and just read it bc it's so good. I plan in reading it many times in my life, I'm 13 so i have a lot of time.

ROTK was my favorite movie, The Ride if the Rohirrim is my favorite scene ever in any movie. My fav book was The Two Towers, though.