Lord of the Rings group discussion

Books > Fellowship of the Ring

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cody, Hir en Dagor (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 87 comments Mod
Talk about the first book in the trilogy

message 2: by Sophie710 (new)

Sophie710 | 75 comments its kind of sad that they don't even mourn Gandalf in the book.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Yeah, they did a good job in the movie.

message 4: by Sophie710 (new)

Sophie710 | 75 comments Seeing them cry makes me cry, no matter how many times I watch it.

Queen Susan the Gentle (highqueensusanofcairparavel) I pity the hobbits. My heart aches for Frodo at that part.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Rahi (kimmierahi) I read an article in Huffington Post today comparing Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. I blogged about it and then set up a poll for people to weigh in. Please take the time to read the short blog post and weigh in on the poll. Comments ALWAYS welcome on my blog.

http://beautifulreaderkimmie.wordpres...

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Rahi (kimmierahi) Check out my review on "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" Comments are welcome! Lets get a debate going!

http://beautifulreaderkimmie.wordpres...

message 8: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 20 comments I love it.

message 9: by Rebecca L (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) The Fellowship of The Ring is the best of the three LOTR I do believe. So beautiful, so exciting, so awesome, so heart moving.

message 10: by Rebecca L (last edited Jan 30, 2015 08:20PM) (new)

Rebecca L (rebeccalsnowe) You know with The Hobbits coming out these last few years there have been a lot of complaints about how "They don't follow the book" and blah blah blah. Doesn't anybody realize that the LOTR don't really follow the books? I mean in the Fellowship alone there are several things that were changed. For instance Arwen carried Frodo to Rivendell when in the book it is Glorfindel. AND the movies cut out the whole scene in the Old Forest with Tom Bombadil and the scene when the Hobbits get stuck in the old grave yard with the creepy ghost thingies. So my point here is why does everybody make such a big fuss about The Hobbits making a ton of changes (Many very good) when the LOTR do the same thing? Why can't we just appreciate the movies for what they are, epic master pieces by one of the greatest producers of our time. And as far as everyone's complaints about Tauriel go, I think she is so awesome! Much better than Arwen in the LOTR!

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) I do agree that The Fellowship of the Ring was probably the best, but Return of the King is right up there with it.
Yes actually I was really disappointed when they gave Glorfindel's part to Arwen. He was one of my absolute favorite characters (probably because he is the first elve that you meet in the books.) Another part that I disagreed with in the original movies was how they changed Faramir's character. It was a great injustice to Tolkien's vision, Faramir was Tolkien's favorite character and still they changed him.

But even those changes where only a small part of the plot on a whole. Changes in the hobbit lasted through out all three movies and were major plot changes.
But as I've told Strider, personally I have more problems with the CGI and script, then the new addition of Tauriel.

If you watch the Lord of the Rings commentaries, you listen to Peter Jackson and he talks about being to true to the story and making it seem as real as possible.
And you listen to him now and it's about drawing a younger crowd and more audience and giving the audience what they want, instead of keeping true to what the author wrote. There is a reason that the books are so well loved, changing plots and characters while adapting a book to movie never makes it better.
The last movie was so bad, all reference to the book aside I thought the CGI, script and character development was terrible. Right now the Hunger Games is even better then PJ's Hobbit and The Hunger Games wasn't even that good of a book (poorly written), but they've stuck to the plot and characters and in some ways I think it trumps the book. Jennifer Lawrence's acting made me like the main character a lot more then I did in the book.
I went to see the last hobbit film with my brother and sister, during so much of the film all I could do was laugh. I would look at my brother and just be like "seriously? Did that just happen." I'm pretty sure people thought we three, were really weird for laughing at the parts that were supposed to be "serious" but the dialog was just so bad, we couldn't help it.
I can safely say that I will never see that film again. I'm just sad that all the great actors where given lines that were ridiculous, and that failed to show how good of actors they are. I never connected with any of the characters what so ever in the last film. I was almost glad to see Kili die, so that we wouldn't have to watch the stupid sentiments of a hollywood love story anymore.
I just pretty much wish I could erase it from my mind and have all my imaginings from J.R.R tolkien's writings back, instead of seeing PJ's characters in my minds eye.
Anyway, enough of this. It's just my opinion and like I said it's pretty unpopular. I don't expect you to agree with me.

message 12: by Strider (new)

Strider | 104 comments Hi Becki and Lizzy,

I believe a major part of enjoying a movie (or anything, for that matter) can be found in one's EXPECTATIONS. What we bring to a film often affects what we take away from it. P.J. was aware of this, and tentatively tried to head off this potential disappointment for some when he told an Interviewer that

"Purists [that is another name for Tolkienites, those
of us who wish movie producers to remain AS MUCH AS
POSSIBLE true to the book(s)] will be disappointed
especially in this last film (Battle of Five
Armies). We found that we could not keep from
deviating from the storyline if we were going to
make a good movie." (Paraphrasing him.)

He then went on to explain how the original movie producer had begun producing the movies, only to discover he could not continue, allowing P.J. to step in and to take over. Jackson explained that by then he had lost over a year's time in setting up the film, and that he was working under doctor's orders/restrictions (he was being treated for an ulcer), and other difficulties.

Even the Tolkien Estate, which up to this time had never officially expressed any opinion -- good or bad -- concerning the way the LOTR trilogy had been produced, finally had to weigh in on what was and had been done to The Hobbit. Christopher Tolkien, J.R.R.'s youngest son and executor of his estate, finally gave an interview blasting J.P.'s horrible handling of his father's beloved work. He said he was inundated almost weekly with requests from P.J. et al, for permission to change the storyline repeatedly, to add new characters, etc. until the Estate refused to review anymore requests. Needless to say, Christopher Tolkien was almost unable to express his disappointment in the way his father's works had been "misrepresented."

Also telling is the fact that P.J. said he "had no regrets." That spoke volumes to me, as he knew he would have his "storyline deviations" questioned; and they have been! After the enormous acceptance of the trilogy films, all the rewards the films and actors, even the score, had received, the worldwide outpouring of accolades from most every part of the world and differing cultures . . . . . . now we are already beginning to feel the silence and disappointment setting in with The Hobbit, especially after the much-waited-for release of The Battle of Five Armies. It is as though P.J. had most everything going for him after the LOTR's but seems now to have squandering all that 'popularity capital' on trying to rewrite Tolkien's work seemingly just to attract a varied audience (which I believe he would have gotten anyway).

Stated another way, P.J. may have let his successes in producing the LOTR trilogy go his head, causing him to err, thinking he had become so great at filmmaking that he could now rewrite great works like The Hobbit, improving on the author's work! What a colossal mistake!!

EXPECTATIONS were the key, and not just from us Purists/Tolkienites but apparently from many others who have been sorely disappointed in The Hobbit, maybe not necessarily due to the movie, per se, (it was fun and somewhat entertaining) but due to the loss of "professional adaptation". Unlike some books, The Hobbit is a renowned and cherished piece of literature loved worldwide, and to have someone take it and rewrite it, add characters, change who said what to whom, and to leave the book basically torn to shreads, well, that certainly has cost P.J. his standing with me in the producer/director hall of fame!

The fact that P.J. chose to remake Faramir's character rather than leaving it as was written actually proves my point. Or when it was Aragorn whose wisdom overshadowed Gandalf's when debating how to continue to challenge Sauron, after the victory on the Pellinor (sp) (that was Gandalf's idea to attack the Black Gate, not Aragon's). And scores more changes from Tolkien's original works. But most were subtle or minor enough so that they were easily forgiven. But in The Hobbit, P.J. took his cinema license to a level that, to me, demonstrated reckless abandonment! He seemed not to just " adjust the stories somewhat," but seemed to rewrite Tolkien's work. He used Tolkien's work as a template to produce a movie HE wanted produced, not the one he was hired to produce!

Do I sound a bit harsh? Maybe. But we will let history settle this one. I venture to predict that The Hobbit "trilogy" will not even come close to what The Lord of the Rings trilogy did in its years, which is still going on! Another generation is coming up connecting with the LOTR books and movies. My bet is we will not see anything close or endearing like this with The Hobbit. Yes, the book will continue to remain at the top, but I fear not the movies; except for entertainment purposes, but not with the same connectiveness one finds between book and movies with LOTR!

Just my opinion. Guess we'll just wait and see! :-)

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) Yep, totally agree with you on all points.