Historical Fictionistas discussion

Buddy Reads > Katherine

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith I don't know if this book has been listed before or if anyone is interest in reading it with me but I just started it today and thought I'll give it a go.Katherine

Thanks

Keith

message 2: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments Keith, I just finished reading Katherine a couple of weeks ago. I would be glad to talk about it with you.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments I have read it too.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith Thanks a lot for responding. I have an old, old first edition that came out in 1954. A friend of my wife's gave it to her to read and my wife thought I might like it. Sooooo based on her recommendation I'm starting it today. I'll be sure and get back to you with my questions and comments.

Keith

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments It starts out really slow at first.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 23 comments One of my all time favorites.

message 7: by Betty (new)

Betty (tgbreviews) | 9 comments This one is on my want-to-read list. I've been interested in this one ever since I read a blurb about it in the back of another book called Ann of Cambray by Mary Lide.

message 8: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments Keith - is Katherine married yet to swynford?

message 9: by Keith (last edited Aug 19, 2010 08:21AM) (new)

Keith Marti wrote: "Keith - is Katherine married yet to swynford?"

No not yet. I'm only page 27. I'm still at the banquet where her sister is introducing everyone. I agree with some of the other posts, it's a little slow at first. I hope to get on it early today since my wife walked the dog and I've got some early reading time.

Thanks.

Keith

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments It does pick up. Her first husband is a complete ass.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Yet not unsympathetic. I felt sorry for him - he was a man of his time, and completely out of his depth in dealing with so many things. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want to be married to him.

MILD SPOILERS

I loved "Katherine." It's unabashedly romantic, but it's a real-to-history romance, and it changes believably from heady first infatuation to domestic bliss to quiet serenity as the characters age. And the characters are believable in a Middle Ages context - the constant reference to religion, the dirt as well as the luxury, the attitudes towards marriage. If a grown man tries to rape a 15-year-old girl nowadays, he's sent to prison. He does it back then, he's forgiven as long as he wants to marry her. Unpalatable, but it's a different time and well portrayed.

message 12: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments I think it picks up soon after - maybe 25-50 more pages. I found the descriptions absolutely revolting in place with some of the food and filth... Does this bother you?

message 13: by Keith (new)

Keith Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "It does pick up. Her first husband is a complete ass."

I'm picking up on that. Just finished reading about the first joust, and he came through loud and clear as an ass.

message 14: by Keith (new)

Keith Marti wrote: "I think it picks up soon after - maybe 25-50 more pages. I found the descriptions absolutely revolting in place with some of the food and filth... Does this bother you?"

I haven't got into that yet, but it won't bother me.

message 15: by Keith (new)

Keith Kate wrote: "Yet not unsympathetic. I felt sorry for him - he was a man of his time, and completely out of his depth in dealing with so many things. That being said, I certainly wouldn't want to be married to..."

My historical fiction hasn't leaned toward "romance." I read the The Scottish Thistle a while back and enjoyed it very much. That book was the closest I've come to a historical fiction romance.

message 16: by Keith (last edited Aug 19, 2010 08:00PM) (new)

Keith Does anyone know what disease the Queen has? Maybe I missed it. All I got/remember was dropsy.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments that's what it said she had. She died from bloat.

message 18: by Marti (last edited Aug 20, 2010 07:29AM) (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments The real cause of dropsy, however, is abnormal accumulation of morbid matter in the system. This accumulation is so great that the kidneys and liver become overloaded and unable to perform their purifying tasks properly. The stagnation of unhealthy fluid in the tissues can also be aggravated by the heart muscle being too weak to pump the blood with sufficient force through the veins and arteries to carry the necessary oxygen and nourishment to the cells of the vital organs. This can result in the poisoning of the whole system. from the web

message 19: by Keith (new)

Keith Marti wrote: "The real cause of dropsy, however, is abnormal accumulation of morbid matter in the system. This accumulation is so great that the kidneys and liver become overloaded and unable to perform their pu..."

Thanks Marti, I guess there wasn't any more in the book that describes her illness.

Keith

message 20: by Maude (new)

Maude | 834 comments This is usually congestive heart failure. They did know enough then to "bleed" a patient which reduced the overload of fluid. It could also be from some other maladies , e.g., kidney failure, but that was the most likely cause.

message 21: by Keith (last edited Aug 22, 2010 12:27AM) (new)

Keith Brief update.

Spoiler alert . . .

I'm just at the place in the book where John, Duke of Lancaster has decided to marry the Queen of Castile and has invited Katherin to the wedding. She is on the ship headed headed to Castile.

message 22: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments It has picked up speed - hasn't it ... how many children do they have right now?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments Spoiler

She has like 10

message 24: by Keith (new)

Keith Marti wrote: "It has picked up speed - hasn't it ... how many children do they have right now?"

At this time she she had two with Hugh. You know, to be honest with you this is a ladies book. It is interesting but it has a little too much romance for me. I like it and will finish it, however I would like a little more action/description of the war that was going on with Castile and how Hugh got injured.

message 25: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments yes that is true about it being a ladies book. They are considered star crossed lovers and the story of Katherine and John is considered to be one of the romantic tales of the Middle Ages _ Sorry Keith

message 26: by Keith (new)

Keith Marti wrote: "yes that is true about it being a ladies book. They are considered star crossed lovers and the story of Katherine and John is considered to be one of the romantic tales of the Middle Ages _ Sorry K..."

No problem. I very seldom give up on a book, I'll keep at it. I hate to give up on a book after I've started it and invested some reading time.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments hang in there Keith. It is worth finishing.

message 28: by Keith (new)

Keith Still trying to finish this book.

message 29: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments how are you doing Keith? Where are you at?

message 30: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid (ingerella) I just picked this book up off of my "to read" shelf today. I'm on page 3 but I'll read it along with you too.

message 31: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments excellent more readers

message 32: by Keith (new)

Keith I'm where Katherine is going on her pilgramage to find herself.

Hi Ingrid. I hope you like this book. It has been somewhat hard for me go continue but, I hate to give it up.

message 33: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments I wasn't really into that section - but then I was not brought up in the same religious environment with the importance of following appropriate conventions.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 5 comments I recently finished this novel and wanted to chime in here, though I know this thread has been dormant for awhile. I noticed the realism of Seton's settings like everyone else, and I also agree about Hugh. I thought the whole changeling story was interesting and I loved the whole romance throughout.

message 35: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 58 comments I am glad you chimed in too.