Martial Arts Fiction discussion

What inspires you in the martial arts?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charmaigne (new)

Charmaigne | 8 comments I have a lot of ideas running around in my head and would love to be able to write a book, but can't seem to get it all down on paper and tie the ends together neatly!! For me the interesting thing in the martial arts is testing oneself, seeing where your limits lie, and discovering things about yourself that you didn't know existed.
Oh, and Ninjas, of course!! LOL

message 2: by Bert (new)

Bert Edens (bedens) | 11 comments Ninjas? Naw, ninjas are overrated. :)

Like Charmaigne, I love the challenges. To see what I can accomplish that I previously didn't believe I could. Since becoming a martial artist, I have won national championships (in board breaking), learned to do a front flip without a trampoline and even firewalked.

As an instructor, I also love seeing progress in my students, seeing that light go on when they finally get a kata or a technique. Priceless.

message 3: by tinabot (new)

tinabot | 18 comments I was inspired to get into martial arts because of movies. When I was a kid, I watch "7 lucky ninja kids" and "Young Dragons: Kung Fu Kids" (English names) and was hooked. Then I got hooked onto Jet Li and Jackie Chan films.

I like the physical, mental, and spiritual challenge of martial arts and the beauty of the movements, but really, I'm not a good martial artist at all. I'm inflexible and can't jump very high. I think that's why I enjoy writing martial arts fiction--I can do awesome kung fu things vicariously through the characters I create ^O^ lol

message 4: by Goran (new)

Goran Powell (goranpowell) | 31 comments Mod
Our karate club just finished a big December grading where people pushed themselves beyond what they had done before and came out battered, bruised and delighted with themselves. Why? Because they did something that they weren't sure they could do. Now they know they can. Tough gradings show us how much we're capable of, and often it's so much more than we ever thought possible when we first started. Like Bert said, these things are 'priceless'.

message 5: by tinabot (new)

tinabot | 18 comments welcome! check out my recent article on Ip Man 2 ^_^

http://www.8asians.com/2011/02/02/ip-...

message 6: by tinabot (new)

tinabot | 18 comments Dutch wrote: "Nice review! I have Ip Man 2 here at home waiting for me to plug in and watch, and I had heard it was quite good. Also Tina, you and I could probably yap about some of our favourite kung fu stars..."
did you hear about the new Legend of the First: Return of Chen Zhen coming out? It's like fist of Legend part 2 but with Donnie Yen.

message 7: by tinabot (new)

tinabot | 18 comments Dutch wrote: "I actually haven't seen Fist of Legend films yet. It sounds like you are a Donnie Yen fan :D I also like him but probably haven't seen as many of his films as you have. My big-time #1 kung fu cr..."

Dutch wrote: "I actually haven't seen Fist of Legend films yet. It sounds like you are a Donnie Yen fan :D I also like him but probably haven't seen as many of his films as you have. My big-time #1 kung fu cr..."

lol those are old school ^O^

message 8: by tinabot (new)

tinabot | 18 comments Nice pic! Very old school ^O^ I love the Chinese characters running down his neck. I think I'll copy that look ^O^

message 9: by tinabot (new)

tinabot | 18 comments haha it looks really awesome and he looks pretty badass. ^O^ btw, have you heard about the Martial Arts History Museum opening up in LA? So excited ^_^

message 10: by tinabot (new)

tinabot | 18 comments They're just finishing up construction. Wait till they're in full swing, probably in the summer for sure: http://www.martialartsmuseum.com/

I'm going to first pre-party next Saturday.