Terminalcoffee discussion

Rants / Debates (Serious) > should the standardized test results of individual teachers' students be public information?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Aug 18, 2010 02:22PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The LA Times is reporting about a controversy concerning publishing individual teachers' students' results on standardized tests...

http://mobile.latimes.com/wap/news/te...

Arne Duncan, the Sec. of Ed, is for it. On the other hand, some teachers argue that standardized test scores are largely dependent on factors outside the teachers' control, e.g. parent involvement, etc., and if a teacher gets a "good" class that year, they'll look better than otherwise. Others say standardized test scores aren't a good measure of student learning in the first place. Critics say they're making excuses.

What do you think?

message 2: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24157 comments Mod
I think school level is individualized enough. No need to get down to teacher level. Test scores are one measure of learning and teacher effectiveness, but not the only one, and I'm not sure I see the point of possibly humiliating individual teachers this way. Also, this will only encourage teacher cheating - changing student answers after tests are turned in. Apparently it's a problem already in some areas.

message 3: by Polstar (new)

Polstar ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH ... don't start me on this one. We already get judged against the kids results in the UK internally - looking to see if there is 'value added'.
What annoys me about this idea is that YES I DO understand that there are some teachers out there that are appalling and should be weeded out - however judging it on a students' test/ exam results is not the way to go about it. I have had students who are predicted A* - C and end up with an E because they've discovered drugs, drink and the opposite sex. Why then, should I be judged on their results?