Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Headphones-Yay or Nay?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do you listen to music on headphones a lot? Pros and cons?

I ask because

1) I heard on NPR this morning that more hearing issues are being reported, presumably because of increased headphone use, and

2) my twelve year old has an Ipod and walks around with it on a lot. So when he wants to talk with me he TALKS LIKE THIS. We now have a "no headphones during conversation" rule.

What do you think about headphones?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I don't have much of a problem with my older son and headphones. He usually has the headphones off his touch because he constantly wants to show me some ridiculous you tube video. He uses the headphones in the car or when he's out walking to someone's house, and he uses the speaker thing in his room.

As for myself, I tend to use headphones now when I'm on the computer. Sometime in the last year or so I picked up a really bad habit of wanting to listen to a song 3 times or more if I come across one that I haven't heard in a while. It would be slightly embarrassing to keep hitting repeat and have someone outside of the home office wondering why I have some silly song playing over and over again.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i use headphones for my ipod and also for my computer. i have some of those noise canceling ones for airports and traveling. this kid wears them all of the time at work and you can't even talk to him. they can be dangerous if you are around moving equipment or in the street where you are unaware of your surroundings.

wait....am i my dad?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I use them when I cut the lawn, or when I really don't want to talk to anybody.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24073 comments Mod
The only time I use headphones pretty much is if I'm on public transportation and need to block out other people's annoying conversations and gum popping.

message 6: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 18, 2010 07:56PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Me too, Lobstergirl.

I have a pair of those little Etymotic in-ear headphones. They're basically like earplugs and create an air-tight seal. You can be stuck on the train with the biggest cell-phone yacker in the world, pop those little earbuds in, and it's like you've entered the Cone of Silence on Get Smart. I never travel without them...or without an I-Pod loaded with Buck Owens and Roy Acuff.

message 7: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I wear headphones a lot when I'm at school 'cause when I'm at lunch, I'm listening to podcasts...when I'm walking from class to class I'm listening to podcasts...

message 8: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24073 comments Mod
Are those expensive and high tech? Mine are in-ear too but they're the $8 ones from Best Buy. I don't know if they have an airtight seal but I tend to think no.

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Are those expensive and high tech? Mine are in-ear too but they're the $8 ones from Best Buy. I don't know if they have an airtight seal but I tend to think no."

They're somewhat pricey--around a hundred bucks--but for me, they were totally worth it. The company that makes them actually specializes in hearing aids, so the earbuds are ergonomically designed and comfortable, although the complete sound block does take some getting used to.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I use them at the gym and on airplanes (and obviously in the studio) but nowhere else. Good headphones make you hear a stereo mix the way it's meant to be heard. You hear all kinds of things in good headphones that you miss when you listen in a room.

message 11: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) I like listening to music with headphones, but they are so uncomfortable that I can't stand it for very long.

I've tried a bunch of kinds, different shapes, in ear, not in ear, etc. I have never tried expensive ones because I'm afraid to spend a bunch of money on something that doesn't work for me.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I don't use ear plugs or ear buds for anything. I have scar tissue in my left ear from a ruptured ear drum (childhood injury). The pressure of ANYTHING in my ears is uncomfortable to me. I just learned to tune out noise or distraction over the years.

message 13: by Paul (last edited Aug 19, 2010 12:48PM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 79 comments in the house i listen on speakers, but use earphones all the time when i'm out - for sudiobooks and music - when i'm walking, cycling or using public transport (i don't drive).

it does kind of tie in to the discussion about silence. i've cycled since i was a kid, 30-odd years, and one of the things i used to love was getting out into the countryside into the sounds of nature. now constant noise is the default, and i have to make a deliberate effort to turn the music off and listen to the world.

message 14: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i wear headphones when i don't have music around me i can control and don't have to talk to people.

message 15: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I have a $15 pair of ear-in headphones by Sony, and, let me tell you, they're fantastic, and I'm EXTREEEEEEEEMELY FUSSY about headphones.

I wear 'em when I'm at the gym, partially because I have my own workout playlists that I listen to, but also because the gym pumps some seriously shitty music.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I love headphones, I only listen to them when I am on the train. I don't love it when I can hear other peoples music from their headphones. Very very very very very annoying. I keep my music turned down as low as possible so no one else can hear what I am listening to.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 79 comments Gail "cyborg" wrote: "I don't love it when I can hear other peoples music from their headphones. Very very very very very annoying"

I'm with you 100% Gail! Although I have to say what is even worse is the tendency of people listening to music on their mobiles without the use of earphones. I recently saw an ad for a phone that was selling it on the bass of its speaker.

I'm getting old...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Perhaps they are not aimed at people for use on public transport. I very rarely come across people listening to music without headphones. (I can recall only once on the train). I agree, it was far worse than the noise from headphones.
I am probably getting too old as well. I really don't mind that though.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
I used to have these awesome headphones that were the perfect size to cup around the outside of my ears. They folded up somewhat small and fit in my backpack just right. Finally, after fourteen years or so they broke, and I've never replaced them. I have some cheapo earbuds to go with my ipod now, but I really don't like them IN my ears. Maybe I'll look into Johnathan's brand.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Does anyone else try to use their earbuds when exercising and find that they fall out all the time? I'm using a pair of cheap Sony over-ear headphones right now at the gym because I got sick of earbud maintenance.