The Rough South discussion

Who are The New Southern Writers?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (sdealfitzgerald) | 10 comments Whew. You ARE Southern! For some reason, I thought you lived overseas, but then I went to your blog and got my head straight.

I see you've been compared to William Gay. Have you read his "Twilight"? Incredible! Like I tell everyone, I read it while I was reading "Finn" and I kind of had a come to Jesus sort of feeling when I finished. I call it the Good Twilight.

And what about Tom Franklin? "Hell at the Breach" is as fine a Western as you'll ever have coming out of Alabama.

I also like Connie May Fowler's work. "How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly: A Novel," was very good, she's got the gift and shows it here, by blending cheating husbands, ghosts, a conniving angel, a three legged dog and midgets into a story. I also liked "Bloodroot" by Amy Greene for some of the same kinds of reasons. I loved Brett Butler's biography called, "Knee Deep in Paradise." You'll see a trend here. We will pull a gun on a man in a minute.

One of the best biographies I've ever read, and one of the reasons I'll always believe in the power of Algonquin Press is an older book, "Cobb" by Al Stump. "They" made a movie from it, with Tommy Lee Jones, and it was pretty good too, but I loved the book best.

Do also look into "Winter's Bone" by Daniel Woodrell. Also turned into what folks are saying is a fine movie, but the book is some kind of powerful.

"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett, has seemed to be a kind of runaway hit around here, with the more delicate crowd. I was okay with the story...but it wasn't my favorite. (Kinda girly, you know.)

Hey, tell me who else I should be reading?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments That's a fantastic book-- I liked it.

message 3: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (sdealfitzgerald) | 10 comments I was just looking at "Everything Ravaged" on Amazon, and saw this book by an Atlanta writer. Might be up both of our alleys..."Scorch Atlas" by Blake Butler.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (sdealfitzgerald) | 10 comments "American Rust" by Philipp Meyer also looks good. He's a part time Texan.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) I just finished The Ice at the Bottom of the World by Mark Richard, who according to the book jacket pronounces his name "in the French manner." Hi stories are about life on the swampy, flood-ridden Southern Coast, but it's the VA, NC coast rather than Louisianna.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Ewing | 1 comments I've been reading Harry Crews, Larry Brown, Ron Rash, and Philipp Meyer. I like my Lit the way I like my music. Southern lean, deeply disturbed people, and great twists and turns. Any other recommendations? Oh yea, forgot one, A Confederacy of Dunces. Great book!

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Thompson (olemissgrad) | 2 comments Tom Franklin is as awesome a Southern writer as they come. He was one of my instructors at the Bread Loaf Writers Conference, which was a happy coincidence, as I had piece of Southern fiction for the group. His "Poachers" is awesome and I loved "Crooked Letter."

As for Faulkner, I'd start with his short story, "Barn Burning."

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Crisp (robertcrisp2112) | 1 comments Oh, Twilight...god, that book is amazing. William Gay's short story collection is great, too.