Christian Historical Fiction discussion

MaryLu Tyndall > Surrender the Heart

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (last edited Aug 19, 2010 10:12AM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
Surrender the Heart by M.L. Tyndall

message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments I really loved this book loved that there is another cat in on the ship (something about cats on ships!)
I found the story interesting and how Marianne thinks shes plain and not going to find someone to love her cos she feels shes not a beauty. I know its the same now but back then it seemed if you were not seen as beautiful you tended to be overlooked.
I also learnt about the war of 1812 which I have to say I had never heard of. We know about the revolution and the civil war but not this one here in Australia.
I cant wait for the next book.

message 3: by MaryLu (new)

MaryLu Tyndall | 44 comments Thanks Ausjenny! To be honest, even as a US citizen, I didn't know much about this war. But when I started delving into it, I found it fascinating! Especially since much of it was fought on the sea. :-) I love Marianne's character. I think many women will be able to relate to her in this day and age when beauty and talent are held in such high esteem. (It wasn't just back then!)

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments Thats so true abut beauty and talent. I think also many of us even today look at ourselves as not attractive or we see ourselves as almost unlovable because of things around us. I think alot of women myself included dont feel we are attractive or we feel we are overweight etc. What I also am learning is how we perceive ourselves is not always what others do. I know I am about the same weight as another lady in church and think shes ok but myself im overweight I am learning what we see about ourselves is often distorted.
I do like when heroines have these issues rather than ones who think they are the bees knees. I also love how much she has changed from a child also.
I knew about the english impressing people into the navy but didn't know they did it on the high seas also.

message 5: by MaryLu (new)

MaryLu Tyndall | 44 comments I agree. We can often have a distorted view of ourselves that can go both ways... either too high of an opinon or too low. I don't think any of my heroines, with the exception of Faith in The Red Siren, have thought they were the "bees knees". I guess I just can't relate to those type of women. :-)
About British naval impressment, yes, they did quite a bit of thier "recruitment" upon the seas. It was one of the ways they could get back at America for beating them in our Revolutionary war.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I want to buy this one! Good thing I work at Lifeway and can use my discount on all these good books. LOL

message 7: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments Oh you have to buy it Jennifer its a great read.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I will! I get paid friday, so I can buy it then.

message 9: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 1 comments I absolutely loved this book - it has become one of my new favorites! I recommend it to anyone interested in inspirational romance!

message 10: by MaryLu (new)

MaryLu Tyndall | 44 comments Jennifer, thanks in advance for buying my book. I hope you enjoy it! And Heidi, thank you for your kind words!! Glad you loved the book! Marianne and Noah, the hero and heroine in the book make brief appearances in books 2 and 3, so you'll see them again. I'm just finishing up edits on book 2 now, and will get started on Luke's story in Surrender the Dawn.