Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Additions to Librarian Manual > Titles, now without series information stuffed in!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (last edited Aug 19, 2010 06:07AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments title

The title field is used for the title of the book and for the subtitle if the book has one. Other information, such as binding, edition number, series, or language, should be moved out of the title field into fields specific to that information.

title

The title should match the title shown on the cover of the book, if that information is available. Preferred capitalization is "title capitalization", but "sentence capitalization" is also used; only use all uppercase, all lowercase, or other capitalization if the book specifies it (note that many titles appear to be in all uppercase letters on the cover but are not otherwise capitalized this way, so this is an exception to the "use the cover" rule). If a title includes accented characters, apostrophes, quotation marks, or punctuation, include these in the title. Do not remove definite or indefinite articles such as "the" from the beginning of titles; this is handled by the sort title, which is a different field (see below). Double-check the spelling!

Examples of titles:
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
The cathedral and the bazaar
Guards! Guards!
Le deuxième sexe

subtitle

The subtitle should also match the cover of the book. Bear in mind that books are sometimes republished with different subtitles, so a subtitle for one edition should not be assumed to be present on all editions. When a book has a subtitle, the subtitle should separated from the main title by a language-appropriate separator (in English or if the separator is unknown, use a colon) and a single space. The phrase "A Novel" may or may not be considered a subtitle; the cover of the edition should be the guide. The phrase "A Novel Of {Something}" or "A {Something} Novel" should be considered a series indicator rather than a subtitle and should therefore be moved into the series field.

Examples of subtitles:
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Ghosts of Gettysburg: Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield
Alice und das Land im Nadelöhr. Die weiteren Abenteuer von Alice im Wunderland

Not:
Among the Living: A PsyCop Novel

series

Until August 2010, the series information was listed in the title field. With the series field available, series information should be moved to this area and, where appropriate, deleted from the title field. Don't remove series information from titles until the series area features are finalized, including series display across the website.

If the book has no title other than its series and number, this information should remain in the title field. (If an option to suppress the redundant display of the series information becomes available, it should be used in these cases.)

Examples of series without individual titles:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Volume 01
The Year's Best Science Fiction: 25th Annual Collection
The Best American Short Stories 2005
Amazons II

omnibus/boxed sets

At times multiple books may be released as an omnibus (multiple books reprinted in one book) or a boxed set. If multiple books have been reprinted together which are not part of a series and the edition does not have its own title, all of the included titles should be listed in the title field. If the edition has a separate title, the list of included titles may be treated as a subtitle or it may be omitted (if it is omitted, this information should be listed in the book description field). When titles are listed, the preferred separator is a space, a forward slash, and another space; other acceptable separators are commas and ampersands. (In addition, "Omnibus" or "Boxed Set" may be added to the 'edition' field.)

Examples of books in omnibus/boxed set editions:
Alice in Wonderland / Black Beauty
The Neil Gaiman Audio Collection
The Scarpetta Collection: Postmortem / Body of Evidence
Goosebumps House of Horrors Boxed Set
Seeker's Bane
The Fairy Charm Collection, Vol 3
XXXHolic, Volumes 1-3

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42062 comments Mod
Looks good. Flagging for later.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Here's something I removed from the previous version -- any thoughts on how to handle it? Should I open up a policy thread instead?

Some books are split into multiple parts for separate publication. For these books, format them as if the combined book title were the series.

Examples of books in parts:
El Código Engima (Criptonomicón, #1)
Les Misérables, tome 2 : Cosette
Moby Dick part 1 of 2

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Cait wrote: "Should I open up a policy thread instead?"

Probably. I'm not even sure what that section means.

message 5: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Again, I thought the idea was to leave the series information in place at this time.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23256 comments I would prefer series information to stay with the title, until such time as it is viewable when looking at an author's page.

Otherwise you would need to go into every book to find the correct reading order.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Sandra wrote: "I would prefer series information to stay with the title, until such time as it is viewable when looking at an author's page."

I agree.

message 8: by Abi (new)

Abi | 45 comments Sandra wrote: "I would prefer series information to stay with the title, until such time as it is viewable when looking at an author's page."

Will this be soon? I already changed some of the titles on one of the series that I maintain. I thought this thread was saying that that was what was happening now. Oops.

I don't think you would have to go into every book, just one of them and then go to the new series page, wouldn't you?

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Okay, I added a temporary note to the effect that the series feature is not quite complete yet, so we should hold off on removing series from the title until it's ready. (I was figuring it would take long enough to get this section of the manual ready for update that the series feature would be completely ready by the time it was gone, but perhaps I was jumping the gun there....)

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Abi wrote: "Will this be soon?"

Unknown.

Cait wrote: "I was figuring it would take long enough to get this section of the manual ready for update that the series feature would be completely ready by the time it was gone"

While this may be so, enough people check the updates-in-process for guidelines that we should be cautious.

message 11: by willaful (new)

willaful What is the "notes" field intended for?

message 12: by willaful (new)

willaful Another question: many books have "series" info in parentheses that is not series info as it's used here, or as most readers use it. For example, many Harlequin books will have (Harlequin Presents 2178) after the title. Is there a policy on this? Leave it be, remove it?

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I think the notes field is "librarian notes" since anything entered in notes doesn't show up in the non-edit display.

message 14: by Dori (new)

Dori (adorible) | 198 comments willaful wrote: "What is the "notes" field intended for?"

When I added the prequel short story to the Madison Avery series I put a note. The book doesn't have series information in the title. I wasn't sure if it was worth adding if it was just going to be removed eventually anyway. I figured this way a librarian would know why I added the book.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

willaful wrote: "For example, many Harlequin books will have (Harlequin Presents 2178) after the title."

I'm not sure why you say that's not a series. Certainly it is.

message 16: by willaful (last edited Aug 19, 2010 03:04PM) (new)

willaful As I said, it's not a series in the usual way the term is used by readers. But I have no dog in this fight, just wondering what the policy is.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'm a reader, and I'd call that a series. ;) Ditto the Star Trek books, which have several series, etc.

It's not a single-author series, and it's not a small handful of books. But it's definitely a series.

message 18: by willaful (new)

willaful Not going to argue the point. Just tell me what I should do. :-)

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Treat them as you would any series.

message 20: by Kaion (last edited Aug 19, 2010 11:09PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) Psh, tell me not to remove any series indications after I already did three! Evil librarians! :P

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherineeilers) | 45 comments willaful wrote: "As I said, it's not a series in the usual way the term is used by readers. But I have no dog in this fight, just wondering what the policy is."

I think that what you're saying is, this is a case in which the series information has nothing to do with a story that continues from book to book? It can still be helpful, though, for anyone who wants identify other books in the same series. If you think about non-fiction series, which are very common for academic books, the series information helps for finding other books in the same subject area or produced with the same editorial standards. And with romance novels, I think many readers use the series as a guide to the type of story to expect. :)

message 22: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Kaion wrote: "Psh, tell me not to remove any series indications after I already did three! Evil librarians! :P"

Hey, you're the one who jumped the gun here. ;)

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 362 comments um, question from a non-librarian fan of the star trek novelizations...

Have you a way to distinguish subsets? All Star Trek books are a series, maybe? All Star Trek Deep Space Nine are a subset series? What about the clusters like The Captain's Table: Books One Through Six or Time for Yesterday as the sequel to Yesterday's Son?

I'm thinking that readers who are not librarians, like me, would appreciate a distinction made about books that can stand alone and books that are part of mini-series or clusters or subsets or whatever-you-call-'ems.

So, my question is, will you be able to help us out with sorting through these? Please don't think you have to explain how here right now because I'm sure I'm not smart enough to understand an explanation. :)

Thanks sincerely for your patience, from a reader who has been frustrated by unclear series information for decades before even joining Goodreads!

message 24: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Taking this to a new thread.

message 25: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) rivka wrote: "Kaion wrote: "Psh, tell me not to remove any series indications after I already did three! Evil librarians! :P"

Hey, you're the one who jumped the gun here. ;)"

Hey, you guys didn't say not to until the next day! I would've done more but I was feeling lazy. :P

message 26: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Pretty sure even initially there were comments about waiting. And yes, of course you should have read every single related thread in both this group AND Feedbck! ;D

message 27: by willaful (new)

willaful Another question about the series books such as Harlequin Presents. The series info seem to apply to all editions of a book. However these books are often published in several different lines. Here's an example: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/70...

You can see the same book as a Harlequin Presents, a Medical Romance, and part of no series at all.

message 28: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments willaful, you should probably open up a new thread in the policies folder, I think -- this folder is supposed to be just for writing up policies which are already decided....

message 29: by willaful (new)

willaful Oh, sorry.