SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Author of the Month! - New

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (last edited Aug 18, 2010 09:14AM) (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I got this idea from another group.

Basically every month we nominate a Author we would like to read the next month. We then vote on a poll and the winning Author becomes our Author of the month!

You can then read any book by this Author and share your experience in a thread with others.

Hope you guys are as excited as I am about this!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yes!!!!!
I love this new idea, there are some Authors who I adore!!!!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok so do I nominate here?
I nominate James Patterson, he is an easy read and has a spectrum of great books

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I nominate Iain M. Banks (Iain Banks novels included)

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I would like to nominate Charlie Huston, just for something totally different and I have never read any of his books.I am particularly interestd in his Joe Pitt series.

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol not yet :P

Only starting nominations next month :(

Unless we agree on a Author quickly for next month?
Or put our nominations on a poll and run it for a few days?

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Yes please :) I like this challenge...

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Ok then lets get nominating!

I nominate Terry Pratchett

Lets get the locals in here and get the nominations done before tomorrow night please :)

AND GO WORK LAUREN! :P

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
Kresley Cole
Im sorry but I am totally addicted to her Immortals After Dark series and I have to find an excuse to read the next one! Besides if you haven't started reading the series WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN!!!

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I was just taking a break...

message 11: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol Lauren

And Other Lauren sigh go work :P Break pffft

message 12: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments You working at that hour? Its ok you need a break :)

Ok I nominate Clive Barker
I've never read his books but one of my friends is a fanatic and now I'm curious.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren I agree, I like this challenge... makes us more aware of authors we havent read yet

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Well, I wasn't at work, but I was supposed to be writing essays, so Lu, unfortunately, was right...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm at work... whoop (can you hear the sarcasm in my voice?) and I still have to finish my one last assignment today... I'm NOT looking forward to that at all...

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Naz wrote: "Ok I nominate Clive Barker
I've never read his books but one of my friends is a fanatic and now I'm curious."

I've been wanting to check him out too. I read a short story of his that was very cool, can't recall the title though.
A pity he's not going to win on the book of the month poll :( Anyone want to vote (or change your vote) for Weaveworld? You still have a chance...

message 17: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments Hmmm I think I will save the nomination this month, seeing as we'll all clearly be voting for our author and that will mean a tie and with all the month reads and the Patchwork Challenge, I can hardly read 7 authors too! Hehe! NOT! Okay I'll go for Sherrilyn Kenyon seeing as I'm reading the Dark Hunters now!

message 18: by Lu (new)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Do we have a winner yet?

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith It looks likes James Patterson will win.
Isn't this supposed to start tomorrow?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Thats why I'm asking hehe
If he wins I'll have to go get a book by him ASAP!
Wait, I have one, Angel Experiment, something different from him, Lauren you might like it to :)

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I thought you had lots of his book already? He's one of the easiest authors to get hold of though. Second-hand book stores always have stacks. Bookmooch has hundreds of his novels.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I do have loads of him, but I already read all the ones that I have :)

message 25: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol no Lauren don't read Angel Experiment! You'll hate it! But Niecole you might like it :)

I like his WMC books :)

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hahaha, noted :)

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah I thought Lauren might like it because its sci fi, but I guess its to YA for her hehe

I read The Lakehouse before and enjoyed it, and seeing as I've read nearly all of James detective work books I'll change to something new