SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Post your Teaser!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Here is how it works:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other Teaser participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This is a meme idea i got from: http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/...

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Heres mine for this week:

http://emma-thebookworm.blogspot.com/...

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Ah, I love the Hitchhiker's Guide! No matter how many times I read the series, it's always funny.

message 4: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
This weeks:

"He was fierce: if he caught her in here she'd be severely punished, but she could put up with that. What she saw next, however, changed things completely."

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith This is more than two sentences, but they're very short:

"Yesssss! Yesssss! Daniel Cleaver wants my phone no. Am marvellous. Am irresistible Sex Goddess. Hurrah!"

Bridget Jones's Diary

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol i remember that

message 7: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments There's an assumption-or is it an expectation?-among some Indian parents that because they are so tight with each other, their children are likewise best buds.

The Hindi-Bindi Club

I'm liking this book, there's all these little things that happen in it that when I read I just have to laugh because they actually do happen in Indian families.

message 8: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Sounds funny :)

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Cheating a little, because I copied this from the quotes on Goodreads, but I figure it's ok because I had already made a note of it when I was reading:

"Real life is physical. Give me books instead. Give me the invisibility of the contents of books, the thoughts, the ideas, the images. Let me become part of a book. . . . an intertextual being: a book cyborg, or, considering that books aren't cybernetic, perhaps a bibliorg."

The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Love it!

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith The End of Mr Y put me in the mood for some pop science:

At MIT, a program called 'Oxygen' aims to make computation as ubiquitous as the air we breathe. It envisions computers built into our clothes, walls, furniture, cars and bodies, while a haze of 'smart dust', composed of microscopic computers, sensors and transmitters, wafts overhead.

Information: The New Language of Science by Hans Christian von Baeyer

message 12: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments "Be what you would seem to be" or if you'd like it put more simply "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." - Alice in Wonderland

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Voyager

"Aye, well, he'll be wed a long time," he said callously. "Do him no harm to keep his breeches on for one night. And they do say that abstinence makes the heart grow firmer, no?"
Absence," I said, dodging the spoon for a moment. "AND fonder. If anything's growing firmer from abstinence, it wouldn't be his heart."

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Pyramids by Terry Pratchett

It's not generally realised that camels have a natural aptitude for advanced mathematics... And this particular camel, the result of millions of years of selective evolution to produce a creature that could count the grains of sand it was walking over, and close its nostrils at will, and survive under the broiling sun for many days without water, was called You Bastard.
And he was, in fact, the greatest mathematician in the world.

message 15: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Dont ever fight with Lisbeth Salander. Her attitude to the rest of the world is that if someone threatens her with a gun, she'll get a bigger gun.

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments They were gathered around a conference table in a high-rise, eight men and women, no one under the age of sixty-five, all of them wealthy beyond measure. And they were here, in the middle of Manhattan, to decide my fate.

From Firespell

message 17: by Chanté (new)

Chanté | 54 comments Naz wrote: "Dont ever fight with Lisbeth Salander. Her attitude to the rest of the world is that if someone threatens her with a gun, she'll get a bigger gun."

I just read that book, its pretty good. Hoping that the last book lives up to the previous 2.

message 18: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments I prefered the second one, the third one draged a bit too much for my liking but you've got to read it

message 19: by Naz (last edited May 23, 2011 02:17PM) (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments "I was horribly bookish, to the point of coming right out and saying it, which I knew was not socially acceptable. I particularly loved the adjective bookish, which I found other people used about as often as ramrod or chum or teetotaler."

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'm reading The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar and loving it, so I've got a couple of teasers to share

"This is the time of myths. They are woven into the present like silk strands from the past, like a wire mesh from the future, creating an interlacing pattern, a grand design, a repeating motif. Don't dimiss myth, boy. And never, ever, dismiss the Bookman."

"Orphan had first met Lucy one day at the bookshop. She came through the door like - sunshine? Wind? Like spice? Orphan wasn't that much of a poet."

"The words of his friend Gilgamesh returned to him. This is the time of myth, he had said, and Orphan thought, then I am the minotaur, and I am trapped in the Bookman's maze."

"There is nothing sadder than an unused bookshop. Volumes of words, ideas and stories, blueprints and diagnostics, illustrations and notes scribbled in the margins - they did not exist unless there was someone there to hold them, to open their pages, to read them and make them come alive, however briefly"

If you're looking for an excuse to "rescue" second-hand books, the last line does pretty well.

message 21: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Ooh, I was going to start The Bookman this morning, but decided on another book. Will read it next. =)

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I just finished it and gave it four stars; I'd call it book lover's steampunk.

message 23: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments “If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and shouting 'All gods are bastards!”

The Colour of Magic

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Naz wrote: “If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor and shouting 'All gods are bastards!'”

I love that line!

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Reading Emperor Mollusk vs. the Sinister Brain, which has a lot of amusing teasers.

Mutant insects were eating Kansas.
Again.

Relations between Terra [Earth] and Luna [the moon] had bee strained since the Lunans had eaten Neil Armstrong in 1960.

"Have I mentioned I get bored easily?" I said. "Conquering a planet seemed like a good way to kill time."

In the beginning, there was the Great Seed," Hiss said.
"How many
great things do your people have?" asked Zala. "Maybe you should get a thesaurus."

"Only you would need scientific confirmation that you weren't a messiah."
"Never hurts to double-check," I replied.