SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Hardback or Paperback

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Hardback or Paperback? Which do you prefer and why?

message 2: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2445 comments Mod
That depends on the kind of book. For fiction I mostly go for paperbacks (since they are much cheaper), but if I can get a hardback at a bargain price I won't say no.

For reference books I prefer hardbacks. I've got quite a few astronomy related books and most of those are hardbacks except for the few where only the PB versions are currently sold.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hardback, if I can get it cheaply. They will last longer, and won't get so worn from being carried around. One thing I love about the Exclusive Books sale is being able to get beautiful hardbacks for about R40 each. I was also surprised to get quite a few hardbacks through Bookmooch.

I'm not too fussy though. I pay more attention to a nice cover and matching series books to their partners.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I dont know, I like both...
If I have a hardback in a series then I'll stick with that, but if they are all paperback, I'd only get the rest of the books in the series in paperback as well...

If I find a harback cheap I'll go for it, I dont mind at all!

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
I don't mind much, but I do find that Hardbacks are harder to read in the bath the bigger they are :P (cause its heavy lol)

message 6: by Naz (new)

Naz (nazz) | 615 comments Lol I'm too paranoid to read in the bath... what if a page gets wet?? The Horror!

I like both but I like having matching series so I try to stick to which-ever I get first... which tends to be paperback 90% of the time.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree Naz, about matching the series...
But reading in the bath is fun! I'll lay there forever reading! You just have to be careful, and once you've done it once or twice it gets easier...

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith You get bath/beach books for adults now. They look like normal books, but the pages are all plastic. At first they only had erotic stories, but then you also got normal short story collections.

A bit more expensive than normal paperback, I think, but it makes a nice gift.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thats so cool!
But I'm super carefull when reading in the bath... But it is nice, sometimes I'll just lay there with a mask on my face and read the book, especially when its cold outside

message 10: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Thats pretty cool Lauren! But i have yet to get a book wet (touch wood)!

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'm hopelessly clumsy, so for me reading in the bath is a very bad idea.

I did it once or twice though, but I just got really bored. You have to be so careful not to get the book wet, the bath is hard, and the water gets cold. I'd rather read in bed.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
I read on my net book, so no reading in the bath for me! But if I had to choose between paper back and hard cover I would go for a paperback everytime. With hard covers the jacket is always falling off- then gets lost or crushed but worst of all they are cumbersome and heavy- especially is you happen to doze off while reading and the book smacks you on the forehead!

message 13: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Lol and its not fun when a book hits you in the forehead!

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I always take the dust jacket off if I'm reading a hardcover. They just get worn and torn if you don't.