SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Audio book / book / e-book - Which do you prefer?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12629 comments Mod
Audio book / book / e-book - Which do you prefer and why?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Books, always!

But I'll happily settle for an e-book if it means I can get a book for free. Unless it's really long - I don't like having to read long books on a screen, I'd rather have the hardcopy. That might change if I get an e-reader though, in which case I might start buying e-books too.

I'm still getting used to audiobooks - it's hard to listen when you're so used to reading. Even if I become adept at it though, I'll only use audio for the gym, cleaning up, etc., anything where I can't use my hands or read.

message 3: by Emma (last edited Nov 10, 2010 02:46AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments I have this audio book. You can pm me.

Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1) by Rebecca Maizel

message 4: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I love audio books - listen while driving to work. Would love that audio book, Emma. Was it good?

message 5: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I have a few of the "In Death" series by JD Robb on audio (mp3) if someone is interested.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Emma and Chriz, would you be willing to burn your audio books onto CD or DVD (as data discs) and send them to another member (who will then send it to someone else and so on)? We've got some audio books going around at the moment; it would be great to add yours.

message 7: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I am game for that, Lauren. Please let me know what I should do and how to get in the mailing group of the ones already part of the circle. Sounds like fun!

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Awesome :)
Just fit as much as you can onto a CD or DVD, and ask who wants it in the Book Swap thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

There's no official mailing list, and I'm not sure where the other discs are at the moment actually - I assume everyone is just PMing each other. I know there's a Sookie Stackhouse disc and one that I made (I forget what I put on it, you'll have to check with Lu). I listed my audio books in the book swap thread though, so I can make another disc if you want any of those, or just ask what's in circulation and when you can get it :)

message 9: by Emma (last edited Nov 10, 2010 04:29AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments My friend has quite a few audio books, that infact I copied for her from the library. You can get some decent audio books from the library but you have to request them and they will order them for you. I would be willing to make certain copies of books, but will have to find out which ones. I dont normally use Audio books, but I can get hold of them. If you are looking for a particular audio book, and you have unlimited internet then you can pm me.I dont download audio books myself.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith So you're not willing to send any by post Emma? Email would be very expensive for most.

message 11: by Emma (last edited Nov 10, 2010 05:17AM) (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments The ones that I have already copied I am more than willing to send via post no problem. I have forgotten which ones I have copied for my friend so will have to find out first then let you know. But if anyone wants an audio book that they cant find and they have unlimited internet then they can pm me and I will try and get them the link.

I will be getting the first book of Spud.

Then there are some Clive Cussler books, some detective rebus books, but will let you know as soon as I find out.

I actually think its a good way to get audio books, infact we could do this with ebooks? Just add them onto a data or dvd disc, send it to one person then that person has to send it to the next, that way one person isnt sending a load of discs to different people, which would work out expensive.

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Cool, thanks Emma! When you find out could you post it in the book swap thread?

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Ok I will go and find it now.:-)

message 14: by Kacey Rai (new)

Kacey Rai | 59 comments I prefer books. I like to be able lie on my bed and read, stack books on my bedside table and continually re-organise them on my bookshelf.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
I prefer books too. I always feel with audio books that I'm not reading a book but listening and it feels like cheating to say that I have read the book. It feels like watching the movie and then saying you've read the book. I know it's different but still. And I have yet read only one e-book. If you acan call it that. I've read the manuscript of the 5th Twilight book that leaked and won't be published. I prefer a paper book.

message 16: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2445 comments Mod
I'm one of those people that like both ebooks and paper books (pBooks). I choose the version that's the cheapest and for some authors I'll always want a physical copy on my shelf.

To really enjoy ebooks you really need to have an e-ink based ebook reader. One thing that is excellent about ebooks are that you can often get free (legal) copies and that if you buy one you don't have to wait for it to be delivered. It's also great having hundreds of books with you wherever you go.

message 17: by Barbara (last edited Jan 11, 2011 09:42AM) (new)

I agree with you with the benfits. Like having hundreds of books with you wherever you go. It's always a problem if I'm traveling how many books to bring and I always want to bring them home with me. I know some people leave them behind, but I could never do that. I think I'm not a fan yet, because I hardly read anything and then just on my computer and not on an e-reader. The thing is that e-readers are still very expensive in the Netherlands. I can buy one abroad, but I just didn't have the time to look into it and which one is the best to buy. Maybe someone can give me advice on that, since you guys seem to read a lot of e-books.

message 18: by Crusader (new)

The better question would be to see where you can buy ebooks and see if they can sell the books you want to read. Geographic restrictions are a pain and is one of the reasons I'm not buying many ebooks anymore.

Basically you can go either Sony (or other ePub based reader) or Kindle. The ePub based readers allow you to purchase from any store willing to sell to you. The Kindle restricts you to a large degree to buying from Amazon exclusively.

I've got a Cybook Opus (Frech company manufacturers them) which I got about 2 year ago. I quite like it, but it's difficult to find shops willing to sell to SA after the publishers did the whole Agency 5 mess.

I looked at a Kindle, but they don't sell the authors I like to read and in most cases the books are about $3-$4 more expensive than paperback copies. Given the choice I'd rather get a paperback copy which I can resell and do with as I please instead of paying more to get something I can do less with.

If you can I'd say give it another couple of years before buying an ebook reader. Hopefully the publishers will come to their senses soon.

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Ok, that's how out of the loop I am. What is the agency 5 mess? In the Netherlands it's hard to get e-books. I have to go to foreign sites to get e-books. It's not that big yet over here. The only time I ever saw someone using an ebook was in 2009 when I was on holiday in Turkey. No one I know has a reader and I never heard of anyone having a reader. So before I became an active member of our group the only time I saw one in real life was in Turkey. I am interested though because of the benefits you name and especially since I'm running out of space and being able to have a reader with hundreds of books on them is a huge advantage. I have looked at bookprices and I found the same as you found that a paperback copy is most often cheaper. I can definetely wait a couple of years before bying one and I must say I love reading a book. I love the smell of the paper and the ink and sometimes when you buy a really new book the ink will rub on our fingers. I just love books. I instantly feel smarter when I'm holding a book. It's silly I know but I can't help myself. So unless someone can convince me otherwise I'll take your advice and wait a while before buying an e-reader.

message 20: by Crusader (new)

The Agency 5 mess happened last year when the 5 largest publishers decided that they want top set prices for their ebooks in response to Amazon selling new release ebooks at discount of $9.99.

Now they control the price and retailers aren't allowed to discount books or offer reward/loyalty schemes. They also made geographic restrictions much more restrictive. If you don't live in the US chances are you won't be able to buy from most ebook. sites, or you will only be able to buy about 20% of the books n offer. Add DRM to the mess and things are pretty bleak.

Go check the Kindle store. It should show the books available to your region. Search for your favorite authors and see if they are available.

message 21: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I would recommend everyone get Kindles and those outside the US/UK just pirate their way to a large collection of ebooks. I don't even feel bad about pirating anymore, because I don't like buying paper books and I can almost never find a website selling the ebook I want in my region. And until the day comes that these silly restrictions are lifted, I will just keep on pirating.

The Kindle is only $139 and they deliver internationally. You can easily convert any ebook to a readable format.

I see the Sony readers are €229 in the Netherlands, which I agree is a bit steep.

Even if you are against pirating there are still thousands of ebooks out there that are free and legal. Sometimes ebook stores have promotions and you can get free books from there too.

The shop bol.com sells ebooks in the Netherlands, although I'm not sure how extensive their collection is.

message 22: by Barbara (new)

I checked the bol.com site to see there e-books and I must say it has grown quite extensively in the last 6 months. I use this site a lot to buy books and dvd's but it's been a long time since I checked their e-books department. They have a little over 5000 Dutch books and almost 140.000 English books. But they have weird books. I couldn't find my authors and what I did see was a lot of books that looked like cheesy romantic novels even though the description of the e-book says something else but the picture tells you a whole different story. They also have a lot of old books. Like the newly published books aren't in e-books format.
I think I will just wait a while till I see more e-books popping up when I look for the paperback copies and see that it is time to buy an e-reader and maybe then they will be cheaper over here.

message 23: by Barbara (new)

O by the way, I also checked Amazon and they have over 500.000 titles and do have my authors.

message 24: by Crusader (new)

For ease of use and price the Kindle would be your best bet then if you do decide to get an ebook reader.

message 25: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments I have a Sony Reader (PRS-600), but I'm hoping to replace it with a Kindle later in the year. It's not a bad device, it's just that it has little things that put me off.

The screen has a glare, so it's hard to find a correct angle to read at (especially reading by a light). I don't know if I just have a defective unit, but the battery only lasts about 1 or 2 books. For longer books I need to recharge it about 3/4 through. The page turn button is tiny and hard to press. I've had the reader since August 2010, and the page button is almost useless now, as it's depressed too much and I need to use my nail and press hard to get it to work.

But back on topic ***
I prefer ebooks, because all the trees that gets chopped down for paper books make me feel guilty for buying them. And then I can't look at all the dead pages sitting there on my shelf afterwards silently chanting "Tree killer ... Tree killer". I do buy secondhand paper books though and feel less bad.

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I try to be eco-friendly, but I've never felt bad about books - if there's one thing worth chopping a tree down for, it's a good book. And it's completely reusable, for decades even.

What really pisses me off is people who print emails and other documents when there's no need to or when they could easily work digitally, then just throw the paper in the bin. If you're going to be so wasteful, at least reuse or recycle the paper!

message 27: by Crusader (new)

Actually the trees used in the printing industry is from renewable sources and they get replanted as soon as they get chopped down. Admittedly the chemicals used in producing paper is another story.

Ebook readers aren't as environmentally friendly either. The chemicals in the electronics are pretty bad and carbon cost in manufacturing a reader adds up. You need to read 40 books a year to start to offset the same carbon cost as buying new books.

message 28: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments You can't win either way it seems. There's always some bigger picture to take into account. But still I do feel a little better about reading ebooks and last year read almost 100 of them - loads of paper saved, whoo.

If we start going into details about all the chemicals and carbon, pollution caused etc associated with almost everything we enjoy doing, there'd be nothing left but to sit a corner and mope.

message 29: by Crusader (new)

Kahlan wrote: "If we start going into details about all the chemicals and carbon, pollution caused etc associated with almost everything we enjoy doing, there'd be nothing left but to sit a corner and mope."

Yup. It's just that people shouldn't choose ebook readers and justify it as a "Green" option. That shouldn't be a motivation. Immediate availability, space saving etc. are the real reasons to go with ebooks.

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Just to mention that I have these audio books and would be willing to put them onto a dvd to give to other members. I think the most economical way would be for me to put them onto dvd's and then send it to a member then that member can send it to someone else, atleast that way I am not responsible for the cost of sending it to everyone.

At the moment I have these:

The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins
World War Z By Max Brooks

By Roald Dahl I have:
Charlie and the chocolate factory
The BFG
Danny the champion of the world
James and the Giant Peach

J.R.R Tolkien Lord of the Rings
Spud By John van du ruit
Great expectations By Charles Dickens
Nicholas Nickleby By Charles Dickens

Harry Potter All 7 Audio Books

I also might be getting A Game of Thrones but dont have it as yet. I wont be able to send these out immediately as I am quite busy, I just wanted to know if anyone was interested.

message 31: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Hartzenberg (wandapanda) | 10 comments Emma wrote: "I have this audio book. You can pm me.

Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1) by Rebecca Maizel"

Hi, are you for real? Would you mind if we exchanged audio books? I love some of yours but I am not sure you would really like mine. But if you are game contact me please.

message 32: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Hartzenberg (wandapanda) | 10 comments Oh Ps. If you dont want to exchange I would love to receive a few of these books on dvd from you. I live in fear that I will run out of Audiobooks before year end. I have the complete Sookie Stackhouse series if you are interested! But I have many more as well.

message 33: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Hartzenberg (wandapanda) | 10 comments Hey guys I have some nice Audio books wich I would share. Free Ebooks. Kindle. Barnes and Noble and Smasswords have whole lists of free ebooks daily. Pls contact me if you want to exchange or send or what ever me some audio books. I love audio books but have a limited supply. So please guys contact me if we can help each other in this regard. I am Wanda Hart on Fb and other wise contact me here so I can send you an email addy or some such. Thanks

message 34: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Hartzenberg (wandapanda) | 10 comments Guys where is the book swop thread