SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Your Favourite Band / Musician?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Who is your Your Favourite Band / Musician?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith As with books or movies, I can't ever really pick one.

I was listening to Vampire Weekend last night though, reminded me of how great they are, so they're up near the top at the moment.

Also Radiohead, Muse, John Mayer, Coldplay (the first two albums, I stopped paying attention after that).

I also like a bit of Aimee Mann, Feist, The Killers, trying to get into the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dear Reader.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I like a lot of music. Old and new

I'm currently listening to Cat Stevens in my car, it relaxes me! Love Moonshadow, Wild Word etc

I like the Killers, Muse, Green Day. I also like Louise Carve and the Parletones when it comes to SA music, not a big fan of Afrikaans (not if every tom dick and Harry makes a CD every week)

My father loves to listen to the older music, so I like some of The Hollies, Simon and Garfunkle, CCR, Def Leopard, Deep Purple etc

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments My tastes in music is as diverse in my taste in books, what can I say? I like variety and depends on my mood on what I listen to. I have all sorts on my pc. I like coldplay, Adele, Duffy. Kings of Leon, love them and I love his voice. I actually like Pink aswell just because of her voice, its so edgy. I also like Classical music at times, the only music I dont like is Metal and some rap. I wont listen to some idiot caling his gf a **tch and hoe...not my scene.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I bought a brilliant book this weekend about music!!!! Its fantastic and in the shape of an old record

message 6: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Ooooh whats it called?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Um, it has a M on the cover, with a photo of Mick Jagger on the front (in the part where an old records name would have been) Think its published by this "M" and its called Music

message 8: by משה (new)

משה Travis... Keane.... Linkin' Park... Skunk Anansie... Kings of Leon... I'm just a junkie for indie music. Though I also do like that new Lady Gaga song.... <> :)

M

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
lol i also like her songs :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

You know Marlin, I like her to, she's different, and I recently saw an interview they had with her, and she's pretty normal actually, when she performs she puts on a great show!

I love Keane!

I'm generally influenced by my father. He loves music, so I love music and general knowledge about music...

message 11: by Charl (last edited Oct 31, 2010 02:38AM) (new)

Charl Fourie (charlfourie) Currently for me it is the new Kings of Leon album. Really their best yet in my opinion.

Other artists... here goes...

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
God Is an Astronaut
Iron & Wine
Skalpel
Red Sparowes
Mogwai
William Fitzsimmons
Mono
The Beatles
The Cinematic Orchestra
Esbjörn Svensson Trio
Portishead
Newton Faulkner
Blockhead
Explosions in the Sky
Jaga Jazzist
Sigur Rós
Bright Eyes
Half Dub Theory
Belle and Sebastian

My Top20 from Last.fm :)
http://www.last.fm/user/charlfourieZA

message 12: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Great list Charl!

I also enjoy Iron & Wine :D

message 13: by Monique (new)

Monique (moniqueurbanisedgeek) My music taste is varied :)

Pink
Lady Gaga (oh yes... :D)
Queen
Tegan and Sara
Simon and Garfunkel
Matchbox 20

... to name a few.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok here are some I love

Greenday
Cat Stevens
Phill Collins
Eric Clapton
Good Charlotte
Lochenville
Kelly Clarkson
Queen
David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust)
The Beach Boys
Duran Duran
Guns and Roses
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Blondie
Cindy Lauper
Madonna

Oh there are so many!!!!
CCR
Travis
Jason Mraz
David Guetta
Black Eyed Peas
Estelle
Eminem
JT
Timberland
Nelly Furtado
Pusycat Dolls
ELO
Simon and Garfunkel
Neil Young

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I discovered Florence and the Machine over the weekend - very cool indie rock; I'd like to get their album.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooh I love them!!!!!
My cousin actually loved them first and introduced me hehe

message 17: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Also love Florence and the Machine!

message 18: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I really like this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8A5Hq...

And my cousin is the drummer :)

message 19: by Julia (new)

Julia (juliatruter) Too many to mention - but let's think of a local band quickly - Prime Circle ... :)

message 20: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Joanna Newsom! She's somewhat of an acquired taste I hear. But I fell in love with her music upon first listen.
Orion Rigel Dommisse
Florence and The Machine
Hmm, nothing else right now.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooooh Lu! You know someone famous :)
Thats so cool and I LOVE their song

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Just bought Coldplay tickets, woohoo! Will see you in October, Cape Town :)

message 23: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments Jealous Lauren! I really enjoy their music. Should be a spectacular show.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

So Lauren, I know it's a bit late, but do share with us your Coldplay experience :)

I hear Kings of Leon were really bad in Cape Town... some of my friends got up half way and went home, what a waste of money!!

message 25: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments I heard that too Niecole. Not my favourite band. I have recently discovered a white Afrikaans boy who sings reggae. He performed at a charity event my husband attended a couple of weeks ago, he brought the promo only cd home with him. He is really good. On the cd he covers Bob marley's No Woman No Cry. Hardly tell the difference.

http://youtu.be/qjLSQstSsII

message 26: by Riana (last edited Nov 25, 2011 03:24AM) (new)

Riana | 397 comments There are thousands, but I am going to keep it local, then it is most definately ANDRA! Love her unique voice, the lyrics to her songs are amazing and watching her play guitar is so enthralling! Plus she is such a lovely person!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwFSio...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3JOr...

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I heard that Kings of Leon was so bad I dont really care for them anymore :)

The guy you're talking about sounds really cool!

message 28: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 163 comments Someone else I really enjoy is this guy :

http://www.youtube.com/results?search...

These are my favourite two -

http://youtu.be/VcoYO8LPbPs
and

http://youtu.be/FPfUN0RKuWg

message 29: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I'm a bit addicted to Example atm...

message 30: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen7708) | 2 comments Nick Cave, The Smiths, Pearl Jam, The Bluetones, Neutral Milk Honey, Placebo, Crowded House, Animal Collective, Belle & Sebastian, Crash Test Dummies, Crystal Castles, Tool, Mars Volta, Duran Duran, Fatboy Slim, Grimes, Kate Bush, Ladytron, Mazzy Star, The Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins, Modest Mouse, T-Rex...(to name but a few!)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Lu (The Muggle) wrote: "I'm a bit addicted to Example atm..."

Oooh i like him too!

message 32: by karter (new)

karter | 13 comments Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Who is your Your Favourite Band / Musician?"

tina dico..?

message 33: by Renier (new)

Renier  (renierstander) Mumford and Sons, Bon Iver, The Lumineers, Imagine Dragons, The Paper Kites, The Naked and Famous, The Head and the Heart, Of Monsters and Men, Twenty One Pilots, Bicycle Thief, Black Handed Kites, aKing, Fokofpolisiekar, Van Coke Kartel, Die Heuwels Fantasties, The Goo Goo Dolls, Explosions in the Sky, Snow Patrol, The Fray, Rise Against and Silversun Pickups.

message 34: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Some great choices Renier!

message 35: by Renier (new)

Renier  (renierstander) Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Some great choices Renier!"

Thanks Lu! I'm surprised to find someone who has a similar taste in music as most of my friends look at me like I'm crazy when I mention most of those bands.

message 36: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Heheh most of my friends look at me strange when I can talk about books the whole day :P

message 37: by Riana (new)

Riana | 397 comments Any Kongos fans out there? I honeslty only heard of them last week and I love it! Oh also a new guy that started out on America's Got Talent is Jake Wesley Rogers! He only has an EP released so far :( but looking forward to great things from him!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the Kongos!!!!!!!!

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Was only now introduced to Beth Hart. I was given a load of her music and I just love her. If youve never heard of her before like me, then try and get just one of her Cd's, shes really edgy and soulful at the same time.

message 40: by Riana (last edited Jan 08, 2013 04:34AM) (new)

Riana | 397 comments Wow!!! Thanks for sharing Emma! Something good for the new year ahead!!!! Lover her voice, will definitly get some of her music!

message 41: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Riana wrote: "Wow!!! Thanks for sharing Emma! Something good for the new year ahead!!!! Lover her voice, will dwfinitly get some of her music!"

No problem Riana, would recommend her Album Leave the Light on although all of her stuff is good.

message 42: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I love love love this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAI_1F...

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Have any of you heard the song "eh eh eh eh eh, ah ah ah ah ah"... I love it! Trying to download it as a ringtone but failing horribly

message 44: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Also like that song!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Where can I find the ringtone :(

message 46: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
No idea :(
My phone just takes mp3's so I download that and put it on my phone. Can yours take mp3's?

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes it can :)
But I've been struggling to download the song, I end up downloading the wrong thing lol

message 48: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Try this site?
http://www.seekasong.com/

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lu!
Will try a bit later :)

message 50: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
If not let me know I can try and email it to you :)

« previous 1