The Well-Rounded Reader discussion

Member Chat > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KristenR (new)

KristenR (klrenn) | 86 comments Mod
I'm Kristen, I'm 30-something, married, with 2 beautiful daughters who definitely keep me on my toes. I love to read almost every genre, but if I don't think about it I tend to read mostly sci-fi/fantasy. Not a bad thing, but I miss out on some great books in other genres.

I admit that the A-Z challenges I got from others, but I've slightly changed the author one to fit my needs, and I've come up with a few others to round out my reading. I personally am doing all the challenges without using the same book for more than one spot.

Hope you join me!

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) FIRST!

LOL, sorry, I couldn't help myself. :P

I'm Becky a 27-going-on-28-in-two-weeks reader of everything! I love challenges, so I had to join! Thanks for the invite! :)

message 3: by Kathy (last edited Sep 09, 2010 12:57PM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Hey, guys! *waves to KristenR and Becky*

KristenR, I just had to join. Thanks for inviting me! :) I follow your progress on Book Challenge all the time. I am definitely inspired by all the challenges you do each year. I'm Kathy, a 41 year old single mother of 2 amazing young men (21 & 15). I work at a local independent bookstore which totally enables me in my addiction to books. I read alot of different things, but I guess my favorite is horror.

message 4: by KristenR (new)

YAY! Hi Becky and Kathy!

I didn't realize you worked in a bookstore, Kathy...I'd love that job, but most of my paycheck would probably be put right back in the register :)

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) My bosses are no dummies....they hire readers, so back into the store is exactly where the money goes. lol

message 6: by Lorren (new)

Lorren (llthestorygirl) | 1 comments Hi! I'm Lorren. I am finishing up my undergraduate degree, just got married a couple of months ago, and of course I LOVE TO READ! I have been looking for some challenges that I can fit in with my school schedule, and thought this group looked like a great place to start. I read pretty much all genres but I particularly love classics.

message 7: by KristenR (new)

Welcome, Lorren

I look forward to seeing what you're reading! (and congrats on the marriage :) What are you studying in school?

message 8: by Juliette (new)

Juliette | 1 comments Juliette here, I'm a stay at home mom to a little boy that runs circles around me.
My father started my love for reading when I was a kid he bought me my first Narnia chronicle book. When I finished it in a day he got me the second one, which was also finished in a day so he just went out and bought me the whole book set.
Books are my favorite way of leaving the house and going on "vacation". Which is why I have a preference towards fiction (however, non-fiction is not excluded).

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Welcome, Juliette! My dad started my love of reading also! We always talked books and we went weekly to the library together. Plus he was the one who read to me every night! I totally agree w/ your "vacation" analogy! I love it! I look forward to talking books w/ you here! :)

message 10: by Glenda (new)

Glenda (glenda-r) Hi everyone. My name is Glenda and I live in Shreveport, LA. I am retired and live alone with a 14 year old Dachshund. I have 2 sons that are wonderful and 3 wonderful grandchildren as well. I have always been a reader, but when my Kindle was given to me last November, I have been reading much much more. My goal for this year was 50 books and I'm probably going to exceed that.

My first love is mysteries. But thanks to this group and the Bookworms page on Facebook, I have broadened my reading a great deal.

I am now reading OutlanderDiana Gabaldon. This is a book that I would previously never even considered, but I am enjoying it very much and will probably read more in the series. Also non-fiction books, memoirs and autobiographies are in the list of my newly acquired interests. All in all, I am really enjoying the groups on Goodreads and Bookworms as I get a chance to explore books and authors that I wouldn't ordinarily know about.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Hi, Glenda! Welcome aboard! :)

message 12: by KristenR (new)

Welcome Glenda!

I love my Kindle too...so easy to carry around and read whenever I have a few spare minutes. I have Outlander in my to-read folder, maybe I'll start it next.

aha...I didn't realize I wasn't following this discussion...that's why I wasn't getting notifications of new posts...hmmm...now to check the others...

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I love my Kindle, too! It will never take the place of my books, but it's so convenient! And the thought of being able to carry around 1500 bks in something the size of a small magazine, makes me so happy! lol :)

message 14: by Oscar (new)

Oscar Peterson | 1 comments OK,I'm a black male,and I think that this group,and it's challenge for it's members is something that sounds very interesting to me,so sign me up!

message 15: by Inga (new)

Inga (dominowinter) | 2 comments Hi. My name is Inga, I'm a Norwegian library student. My mother is a librarian as well and she always pushed books on me so I've been reading for as long as I can remember. While I'm studying it's hard to get to literature that isn't my curriculum, but I try. My mom would read the Hobbit for me when I was a kid and I love Fantasy and fairytale-like stories. I really want to round out my reading and read just, different things, hope I can get some tips here. :)

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Welcome, Inga! And Welcome to you also, Oscar! I'm sorry for the delay. I was out of things for a few months after my back surgery. :)

message 17: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (polymathicmonkey) Hey all, I'm Mel. 30, married, American relocated to Belgium. Loves travel, photography, cooking, crafting, and BOOKS! lol. My mom read to me from pretty much the day I was born, I've always been a bookworm. And pretty much always been rather eclectic, but even moreso as I got into my teens. I like reading almost anything well-written. Just none of the fluffy romance chicklit crud, please!! I only read things with some sort of substance to them. :P

I don't know how many challenges I'll be actively joining, as I live in a non-English country. While my library is pretty awesome, it's still a lot more limited than one in the US or UK as far as English selection goes! Plus I have a couple hundred unread books on my shelves so I don't normally go buying specific titles (only pick up cheap ones I encounter when out, you know). But I love getting ideas for books I'd like to keep eyes open for and ways to broaden my selections (random challenges that make you look harder for things you wouldn't otherwise have considered are great. Even well-rounded readers need inspiration for new picks! :D) and all that, so this group sounded great! :)

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Welcome, Mel! Belgium? Wow, very excited! We've gone international!

message 19: by Yossarian (new)

Yossarian (polymathicmonkey) hehe, Belgium indeed! :)

message 20: by Miss.terri (new)

Miss.terri | 1 comments Hi, I am Terri. I'm in my mid-50's. I live in the interior of Alaska. I loved to read as a teenager; however, with marriage and children, I did not get to read very much for a lot of years. I missed it. So about 2010, I started having a little more time and began pleasure reading again. I like the challenges. I will read from most genres.

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Hi, Terri. Welcome. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Outlander (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Diana Gabaldon (other topics)