The County Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 371 comments Mod
The votes are in! September's book club discussion will be The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's a doozy at over 700 pages, but it's also a really fun read. When I got to the end, I was clamoring for the second- and for someone to talk to about it!

This is a vampire book, but it reads like a literary scifi adventure, with a bit of romance and horror thrown in. And the vampires are deadly, not sparkly. Hurray!

If you want to get it from SLCLS, you'd better put it on hold today, because there's a line. Don't worry, though, we have lots of copies.

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 32 comments Reading this book took me forever(Okay, it was 7 days, but for me, that's a really long time to be reading the same book.)I kept putting it down because my blood pressure was rising and I could feel it! The world just felt so real, but at the same time the action made me feel like I was watching a movie, probably because that was the only way I can relate to that constant building of violence/desperation. And the "oh, by the way" section at the end was a terrible trick to play on the readers!!

message 3: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (bookcrone) | 14 comments I was trapped on an airplane for 10 hours so it was the ideal book as I did not finish until I got home. The ending did seem like a mean trick and rather abrupt. However, handling it like that has haunted me and is one of the most memorable segments in the book. I don't know if the author was going for a shocker/memorable ending or just did not want to keep repeating the same battles.

What do you think the author will do for the second book? Start it at the same place or jump ahead decades?

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina B (readinghonor) | 32 comments Marsha wrote: "What do you think the author will do for the second book? Start it at the same place or jump ahead decades?"

The author had thrown in some of those "from the archives" messages earlier but always came back to the main plot with the same characters. I think that pattern will stay consistent. There will continue to be small jumps but the main plot line will begin with the current characters.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

The thing I liked most about this book was that it seemed like a more realistic portrayal of vampires. I know that sounds silly, but I've been irritated by the romanticized versions of the vampire story that have been so popular lately (yes, I mean Twilight, but also all the others). I was good and ready for a brutal portrayal.

I also liked the way it was hard to pin down a genre on this one. Sometimes it read like horror, sometimes scifi, sometimes sweeping epic, sometimes military/action. It kept me guessing. Can't wait for the next one.

Also, I liked the ending. It was a shocker, but I see it as more of a cliffhanger. I still have hope.

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg (captstrange) | 15 comments I'm currently reading this one, and so far I'm LOVING it!

message 7: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments I was riveted to this book from the beginning to the end! I'll admit that some parts moved a bit more slowly, but I just sat back and enjoyed the story. And can this guy tell a story!
No baseball playing, high school attending vampires here. I'm not a fan of vampires and never have been. The portrayal of them in so many books as alluring, seductive, tantalizing creatures is just bizarre to me.
I listened to the audio version of The Passage - it took nearly 40 hours! And just like everyone else - I'm thirsting for more!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

CN wrote: "I was riveted to this book from the beginning to the end! I'll admit that some parts moved a bit more slowly, but I just sat back and enjoyed the story. And can this guy tell a story!
No baseball ..."

Wow- 40 hours! How was the reader? I love audiobooks, so I might wait for the sequel on audio, when the time comes. If I can wait- maybe I can't!

message 9: by Lahni (new)

Lahni I am about 1/4 of the way through. I love how he uses words. Its been a long time since I've sat back, slowed down and just absorbed the language of a book. I find my self re-reading passages because they are so beautifully written. I love how the story is unfolding and there are so many of the characters that I feel connected to that I'm almost afraid to see what happens to them.

message 10: by CN (new)

CN (cnmom) | 13 comments Jennifer wrote: "CN wrote: "I was riveted to this book from the beginning to the end! I'll admit that some parts moved a bit more slowly, but I just sat back and enjoyed the story. And can this guy tell a story!
..."

There were 3 readers. The main one was Scott Brick. He reads a little bit slow for my taste sometimes anyway. He seems to be one that either you love or hate. I happen to love him (in the right book.) It did get long in some parts, but like I said, I just enjoyed the storytelling.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.