Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > September Discussion: Something From the Nightside *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green is our September Urban Fantasy Group Read.

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments Ooh, I better get that book then. I just got a gift certificate from Amazon for my birthday.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Happy birthday, Aloha!

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments Thanks! A funny thing happened the day before my birthday, Audible gave me two more credits after I had spent my 2 credits for this month. I'm waiting to see the winners before I spend the 2 unexpected credits.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments Me too. Especially if Acacia wins. I'm not sure if I like the reader, though.

message 6: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments Dick Hill grows on you. He's really very good and dramatic. Stick with him and it'll flow.

message 8: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments Thanks, Lady Di!

message 9: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie I missed your Birthday?
Happy belated Birthday!

message 10: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments Thanks! I didn't exactly announce it. I only tell people who are going to give me presents. Then I figure out how to use my presents. Who cares about my birthday. I want things. I'm such a material girl.

message 11: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie LOL you might get more present if you didn't keep it a secret LOL

message 12: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments Are you going to get me a very expensive present?

message 13: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie you know you ought to post your wish list on amazon you know. LOL I almost forgot you were list as Grate BJ LOL

message 14: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments Oh, I forgot that. I did it to annoy the Amazon censorship. Deleting posts for the initial B.J. They couldn't do anything about my name.

message 15: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie Its still there LOL

message 16: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments I need to pop in now and then to annoy them.

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Aug 28, 2010 10:07PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) If no one else wants to lead the discussion, I will go ahead and lead it. It's been a few years since I read this, but I guess I can talk about it pretty well.

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'll be starting this one in a couple of days. I just want to read some short stories I have on my Kindle for PC before I dig in.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Here are some questions for thought for the book discussion (optional, of course):

1. What do you think of the main character, John Taylor? Do you find his ability interesting or not?
2.What are your thoughts on the setting? Did Simon R. Green do a good job of bringing the Nightside to life? What are your thoughts on the Nightside? Is it a whole character by itself?
3.How does the plot strike you? Do you like the idea of John Taylor being on a case to find the missing girl?
4.Something from the Nightside is very much on the borderline of horror with its grisly/dark/horrific elements. Do you like this melange of genres?
5.What are your thoughts on the secondary characters? John Taylor's antagonists? Who stands out to you?
6.What is your overall impression of this story? How would you rate it from 1-10 and why? Will you read more in this series?
7.How do you like the narration? Is the humor falling flat or hitting your funny bone?
8.Is there anything you want to say about your experience reading Something from the Nightside?

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Sep 01, 2010 11:25AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) FYI, if you enjoyed this book, these are the books in the Nightside series that are available:

Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) by Simon R. Green Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) by Simon R. Green Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) by Simon R. Green Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5) by Simon R. Green Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6) by Simon R. Green Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7) by Simon R. Green The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8) by Simon R. Green Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, # 9) by Simon R. Green

message 21: by Jason (last edited Sep 01, 2010 01:58PM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'm still at the beginning of this one, so I'll start off with the character of John Taylor. I liked him right away. He is a bit of a cliche in the cannon of noir private detectives, but the supernatural element that the Nightside brings makes him more original, I think. It also gives Taylor a good reason to be the broke, down on his luck and bitter about it P.I.

###POSSIBLE SPOILER###

I was wondering something, though. Taylor mentions that he only finds things in his detective work. He does not follow cheating husbands and whatnot. We learn later that he can only use his finding power while in the Nightside. But he hasn't been in there in five years and had no plans on going back. Does this not make him as a P.I. as somewhat redundant?

Maybe this is the reason why he's so broke? LOL

Doesn't really matter, though. Because despite this, I'm enjoying the read, and think that I will continue the series.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Good point, Jason. I guess he has to rely on regular stuff that doesn't involve adultery to pay the bills. I'm sure that doesn't leave much detective work left over.

Glad you're enjoying the book. I'm a huge fan of this series.

message 23: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Started Something from the Nightside last night and already half way through the book. John is a interesting character and the people he meets on his journey are also very entertaining. Really liking this book.

message 24: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Just finishedSomething from the Nightside
I enjoyed the book so much I read it in one day. Also, put the rest of the series in my tbr list. Some of my favorite people in the story besides John are Razor Eddie and Suzie. Looking forward to more stories about them. The ending was nice and creepy and without giving anything away sometimes I feel that way.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Eileen, I had a similar experience. It's very readable and quite creepy. What an interesting cast of secondary characters!

message 26: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I had to take a couple days off from reading this book. Nothing wrong with the book. Life just got really busy. I'm looking forward to digging back in this weekend, though.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I'm glad you're able to get back into reading, Jason.

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I hate it when life gets all busy and inturrupts my reading time...LOL

message 30: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments My life in ADD.

message 31: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments 1. What do you think of the main character, John Taylor? Do you find his ability interesting or not?

I thinkthat Taylor's gift is interesting. I like that it's limited to the Nightside, and that it wears him down if used too much.

2.What are your thoughts on the setting? Did Simon R. Green do a good job of bringing the Nightside to life? What are your thoughts on the Nightside?

The Nightside is my favorite part of the book. I love the Nighside and wish I could visit the place, maybe have a drink or two with someone there. It was like a character.

3.How does the plot strike you? Do you like the idea of John Taylor being on a case to find the missing girl?

The plot was a little common, but I liked the way Green handled it. Made it his own.

4.Something from the Nightside is very much on the borderline of horror with its grisly/dark/horrific elements. Do you like this melange of genres?

Yes! I want more.

5.What are your thoughts on the secondary characters? John Taylor's antagonists? Who stands out to you?

Razor Eddie was one of my favorites, so he stands out. So does the house at the end.

6.What is your overall impression of this story? How would you rate it from 1-10 and why? Will you read more in this series?

I would give this an 8 or 9 out of ten, because it's a really fun read. I do plan on reading more.

7.How do you like the narration? Is the humor falling flat or hitting your funny bone?

The narration was steady and fairly consistent. I think that there may have been some problems regarding consistancy at the beginning of the book, but they went away once they were in the Nightside.

8.Is there anything you want to say about your experience reading Something from the Nightside?

On to book 2!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) Jason, book two and three are really freaky. I hope you enjoy them. :)

message 33: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (majkia) Finished it today. I enjoyed it, typically noir mystery except, of course, for the setting ;)

I really enjoyed the characters John reconnects with, and was surprised toward the end by the main twist. Although I had been suspicious for a time, that wasn't what I thought was going on.

Good book, I'll probably read more From the Nightside.

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments ###SPOILERS###

@ Majkia. Is it Joanna's role you're referring to when you say you were suspicious for a time?

I had a feeling that there was something up with Joanna. She was the only character who seemed a little weak. Considering how colorful all the other characters were, I thought there was something up with her. I had no idea what it was, mind you.

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I'm sure that I will, Lady Danielle!

message 36: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (majkia) #####Spoilers####

@Jason. Yes,indeed, Joanna. She seemed to take things too much in stride at times, and then toward the end, she's suddenly the hysterical little woman. I thought it was the house that was siren songing her or something, so I didn't catch on til the end what she was. But, like you, I knew there was something 'off' about her.

I loved Eddie and especially Suzie. And Strangefellows seemed like a fascinating place to visit, altho I'd rather not sit with Eddie given his lack of personal hygiene.

Interesting how much Green used scent and smells to describe things, and not just the visual element of the place.

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments ###SPOILERS###

Suzie is one of my favorites, too. One of my favorite parts, actually, was just before we meet Suzie. It's where Taylor takes Joanna to the Fortress. He sticks his head in the front door, sees nobody around but hears distant gunfire. He then looks back at Joanna and says, "Suzie's here."

I thought that was a great introduction to a great character.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I like Suzie too! Razor Eddie has an interesting story. I think you learn more about him in the second book.

message 39: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Sep 16, 2010 01:57PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Just got here...sorry. Let me drop back for a second. Does John actually say his power "won't work" outside of Nightside? I'd have to re-read carefully, but I got the impression it wasn't as powerful outside Nightside and he just didn't use it as he was laying low and it would draw attention to him, and in Nightside it's like a giant spot-light calling attention to him.

I may have missed it or got the wrong slant... just asking if he actually "said" his power "only worked inside" Nightside.

message 40: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments I think that you might be right, John. Taylor states that his power works only in the Nightside. My memory can be quite terrible, though. LOL.

I think I had a quip about something like this earlier in the thread.