Conversations on Website Conversion discussion

Don't Make Me Think > Chapter 8 The Farmer and The Cowman should be Friends

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diamond Website Conversion (diamondwebsiteconversion) | 78 comments Mod
There are a lot of different things to juggle while you are designing a website.

The very fact that there can only be one final product is incredibly limiting in terms of the number and sort of designs, features, and the various other bits of substance that you can string together into a cohesive design.

Aside from whatever internal dialogue you may be having about the compromises that must be made, you also must have the same discussion with all the other members of your development team. Krugg notes that these discussions can get quite heated, as they tend to involve nothing more than arguing for one’s own favorite design elements.

The idea that anyone can speak for or imagine him- or herself to be the average web user is not useful to design. There are no simple “right” and “wrong” answers about where to put things on your webpage. Things can only be better or worse, in terms of conversion.

What have been some of the hardest compromises to make in designing your website? Have you had any serious disagreements about how to proceed? And lastly, aren’t you glad to hear that testing may provide a solution to those disagreements?

message 2: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (shelbysanchez) | 52 comments I think the idea of testing is amazing! I have a feeling at least 90% or more of website owners have no idea that it's possible to test their site before making a final decision. It is such a smart idea for any web owner to test their design to ensure they get a better conversion rate=more sales. And it will most likely prevent a lot of assumptions and conflicting opinions in the workplace about which design is best for the business. Win-win!

message 3: by Marty (new)

Marty | 36 comments We work with small businesses and so this part of the process is a bit different. There are fewer players (usually) to deal with. Usually you have just a webmaster and a graphics person along with the small business owner. We find that managing the relationship is very important. Usually a small business owner has waited a long time to redesign their website - so they want to accomplish everything on their wish list and then some - so a big part of the job can be managing their expectations - what is possible given their budget - and to keep them focused on what is possible and not what is impossible - given their budget.

message 4: by Anne (last edited Aug 30, 2010 09:22PM) (new)

Anne | 51 comments The reality of those of us helping with website design, or website redesign in many cases, not being average web users struck me. I am constantly telling others to put themselves in the users shoes.
Our company is not too large so if we in marketing and IT cannot agree or cannot remove ourselves from "what we know is best", I go to the accounting department. So far like the octopus who has successfully chosen the World Cup winners - what accounting says makes sense apparently resonates well with our readers.
Additionally, looking into your web analytics can remove the opinion as the numbers here are user generated.