[asmb] Book Club discussion

Book Chat - General > A day at the beach

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I'm on vacation and been hanging by the pool and at the beach, and was just curious what type of books others read while on vacation? Do you continue what you've been reading, do you start something new, and if so is it a heavy book or just fun frivolous fun? My friends are reading the shoppaholic series while i finished a book I was on and now I'm rereading a book I've already read.

message 2: by Apollo (new)

Apollo Frimel | 63 comments Read what they are reading so you can chat with them. Otherwise something light and fun.

message 3: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
I continue reading whatever I was reading. I don't like stopping in the middle of a book to start a new one... unless the book is really boring me.

message 4: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Yeah I was tempted to pick up one of their books after I had finished the book I was on. I agree with Jamie its hard to pick up a new book when you are engrossed in another one. I really wanted to finish the BotM but haven't felt like it, its too heavy to get into while on vacation

message 5: by Punkyplatypus (new)

Punkyplatypus | 25 comments ....at the beach i read magazines with holes cut in them so i can stare at the chicks cause i'm a creep like that :|...just kidding :D....
...i have reflective sunglasses for incognito staring :|...

....on real vacations i don't read unless i'm a passenger in the car...usually i grab a couple books i've already read & enjoyed and start rereading to pass the time....or magazines (this time without holes)....but for the most part i just don't read on vacation....for me vacation is something that i can't do at home while sitting on the toilet...reading isn't on that list...

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (med401) | 234 comments I like paperbacks because they're light to carry in my luggage. A lot of times I don't even get to the books but I do like to have a couple along in case I get bored.

I don't like to have to look for a book to buy on vacation, I like to have my own along. But I'll read about anything. Subject matter doesn't matter to me. I never really subscribed to the idea of book seasons. I just read what I feel like when I feel like it.

I just try not to start any books I can't finish before I leave so I can start fresh on w/e I do take.

message 7: by Lildreamelf (new)

Lildreamelf | 81 comments Punkyplatypus wrote: "....for me vacation is something that i can't do at home while sitting on the toilet..."

what you are saying is you don't sit on the toilet when you are on vacation? what do you do? save it all up for when you get home? HAHAHAHAHA! oh i giggle in your general direction.

i used to read a lot more than i do now. i just don't have the time. when my husband and i got together, i suddenly had tons of books i had never read. i still have tons of books i've never read. so if i want, i can just peruse our bookshelf and pick out something new. problem is, i just don't have time anymore. even on vacation, i'm too busy spending it with my baby. and when she's not awake, i tend to be too worn out for reading.

message 8: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments What's a 'vacation'? -.-; I honestly can't remember the last time I went away someplace where I wasn't needed for something...I think it was in college for spring break or term break and I'd just read my textbooks in advance. :(

I do have books that I categorize as 'home', 'work' and 'hospital/dental waiting room' though. 'Home' is anything goes because it's just me. 'Work' is the stuff that won't obviously 'offend' [since the corporate headquarters is Christian-orientated but thankfully the store I'm at is not like super-fundie-arsehole-orientated - we can dress up on Halloween if we want as long as it's 'family-friendly' which I abuse to the nth :D]. And the 'hospital' one is sorta between the two because I don't really care if someone in the waiting room has a problem with my choice of reading material but I usually pick something either light and fun or something that I'm so into I don't feel like putting it down anyway.

message 9: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Yeah i dont normally subscribe to reading seasons either, but when on vacation if i have a light book i've been meaning to read i will go towards that, or just reread a book that i like. that way my obsessive nature over reading doesn't kick in, and i dont spend my whole time caught up in whatever book im into.

I have also decided that for me at least, books and beach do not mix. I tried to read at the beach but it was mainly too damn hot and windy. the pages kept getting blown around so i couldn't hold my place to read for more than a few sentences.

message 10: by Punkyplatypus (new)

Punkyplatypus | 25 comments Lildreamelf wrote:
what you are saying is you don't sit on the toilet when you are on vacation? what do..."

.... :|....

...*turns to glodson*...shouldn't she be in the kitchen? :\...

....anyways, melf, i do do the doodoo when i have to.....yes, even during vacation......but i clock in before taking the browns to the superbowl, so it's not really vacation :P...

message 11: by Lildreamelf (new)

Lildreamelf | 81 comments :D oh so worth it.