The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Pillars of the Earth

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney I have been a huge fan of The Pillars of the Earth. I have read the book twice and listen to it once. About a month ago I found out that they were making a mini series of the book for the Stars channel. This made me both excited and anxious. Excited that this was one of those epic tales that needed to told on the big screen, but scared that they will totally destroy the tale. As of now I have watched the first 4 episodes (out of 8 I believe)and have been pleasantly happy with the mini series. I think that the choices that were made for actor and actress was well done. There have been several difference from the book, but nothing that took away from the over all story. I also just found out that Stars channel and netflix have some kind of arrangement because because each episode can be instantly watch through netflix. So for the people who wanted to watch the mini series but didn't have the Stars channel have a way to watch this amazing story. I will also say that I have been holding of from reading World Without End, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth. This book returns to Kingsbridge some 200 years after they finished building the cathedral.

message 2: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35964 comments I think they also show it on one of the Encore channels.

message 3: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney That's a good possibility Jan. I wanted to let people know that there was a way to watch the mini series without having to pay for another premium channel. Have read the book or watched any of the mini series? I'm hoping to hear other peoples take on the mini series. Thanks for the encore update that was great to hear.I'm wrapping up Play Dead by Harlan Coben and then I will start the sequel to Pillars of the Earth[book:World Without End|5064.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) I love POTE, too, but don't have Starz. I thought I might watch online, but haven't gotten around to that yet. I'm glad to hear that they are doing a good job with the mini-series. I also have waited to read (listen to) the sequel. Sometimes I just need to absorb what I've read before going into the next segment of a series.

message 5: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney Pillars of the Earth is on the Stars station but you can also watch it instantly on netflix. The first 4 episodes are there now. I have been watching it and even though there are some differences they are doing a great job with it. I've held of reading the sequel but because I was worried it wouldn't be as good, but now I think I'll start World Without End

message 6: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Fred wrote: "Pillars of the Earth is on the Stars station but you can also watch it instantly on netflix. The first 4 episodes are there now. I have been watching it and even though there are some differences..."

I was under the impression that only Starz subscribers could access the Starz instant plays through Netflix. That's great news if I'm wrong.

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1358 comments I thought the first episode was awkward, but I've continued watching, and it's not bad as miniseries go. When Tom Builder was killed, I felt the same sense of loss that I did when reading the novel.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

It was on showcase or A&E here in Canada. I agree the first episode was awkward, it summarized a lot of the information. I think the rest of it was well done.

message 9: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1358 comments I watched the final episode this weekend. The incest between William and his mother was really off-putting, and I don't remember such emphasis being placed on it in the book. Overall, I guess I'd rate the series as a 3 out of 5, mainly because of casting. I thought it was spot-on.

message 10: by Bettie (new)

Bettie I've now got the last two episodes in the bag and am looking forward to this evening for the viewing.

I must also register that the incest is a surprise - well more of a shock really. Did Follett mean it that way in the book but didn't give it the right amount of stress to bring it to our attention, or is a sensationalist thing to spice up the audience figures.

*shrugs*

message 11: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 2 comments I remember reading this book some years ago now and thoroughly enjoying it, I don't recall any incest in it though? Perhaps it was lost on me at the time. I also enjoyed World Without End but I think I was hoping to find out more about what happened to the characters I originally became so absorbed in. Even though I've read the sequel far more recently I struggle to remember the characters and story so well.

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi  | 98 comments Overall, I was really pleased with the mini-series-- mostly because it generally stayed true to the book (although I didn't think they gave Phillip the screen time that both the character and Matthew MacFayden deserved). It did make me want to read the sequel which remains high on my "to read list when I can handle another 700 plus page book."

message 13: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments I ordered Pillars for my Kindle a few days ago. I was surprised to find that it's not a new book, not even a fairly new book. With all the hype, I had thought it was. So I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is so excited about.

message 14: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney K.B. wrote: "I ordered Pillars for my Kindle a few days ago. I was surprised to find that it's not a new book, not even a fairly new book. With all the hype, I had thought it was. So I'm looking forward to seei..."

I hope the Kindle version has Ken Follett's Write up in it. He discusses how the book did not do well when it first came out and how he really wrote the book because of his love of cathedrals. It was very interesting, especially now that it has such a cult following. I do love this book and hope you enjoy it.

message 15: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Fred, yep, that intro (if you will) was part of it. That's how I knew that it wasn't a recent book. I see he has a new epic coming out this month. Sadly, I won't be ordering that anytime soon. Right now, the price for the Kindle version is $19.99.

message 16: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney yes but the epic is only part one of the "century Trilogy" as it may be cheaper down the line. I need to clear a few more books off my to read pile so I can get to the sequel to Pillar of the Earth ... World Without End. It has had great reviews.

message 17: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Has Pillars been done as a group read here? Would anyone be interested?

message 18: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney I haven't seen it done?

message 19: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Hi, Pillars of the Earth has been a group read on a number of historical fiction groups. We've been more mainstream mysteries here.

message 20: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Sometimes I forget which group I'm yapping with. But Follett is predominantly a thriller author, so maybe this work could sneak in on that account. (Or are you politely saying, "forget it!" Donna?)

message 21: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35964 comments But he stepped out of his familiar with this one; as he has with several other books.

message 22: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
It is also almost 1000 pages!

message 23: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35964 comments Well, that right there would let this book out, as far as I'm concerned.

message 24: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
I remember starting this a million years ago... had to leave it at my brother's house when the vacation was over and I never picked it up again.

1000 pages, Donna! Looks like a good candidate for the ereader.

message 25: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Pages, shmages! Who's afraid of lots of pages? :) Never fear, I'll find some other group of folks to discuss the book with. I just thought since so many people were discussing the miniseries here that there might be others interested in reading and discussing the book here.

message 26: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Might push me to get the buddy reads thing set up... I have 3 million things to do this morning. Let me think about it and get back to you KB.

message 27: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Don't hurry on my account. I'm inundated with pages right now: I'm currently reading Drood, The Children's Book, and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Pillars will probably be an October read for me.

message 28: by Frank (new)

Frank Spinney K.B. wrote: "Pages, shmages! Who's afraid of lots of pages? :) Never fear, I'll find some other group of folks to discuss the book with. I just thought since so many people were discussing the miniseries here t..."

I'll discus with you k.b. it's been a few years since I last read it. I could re-reread it again and maybe then read World Without End. This book is on my top ten must read books. I read it every so many years along with and To Kill a MockingbirdandI Know This Much Is True. And to address the earlier comments, Pillars is a epic historical story but at heart it a story of murder and crime and betrayal. It is about finding out the truth and righting a wrong. Isn't that what all of our mysteries are.

message 29: by Bettie (new)

Bettie I'll jump in to discussion when I get a mo - read the book last month and have watched the miniseries so I'm set!

message 30: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Fred, Bettie, ok, I'll let you all know when I'm reading it. Right now it looks like I'll start it in earnest in a couple weeks. I didn't get far last week while I was on jury duty, so I'll restart it. But I gasped audibly when the outlaw whacked the child in the head. I don't often get so caught up in a book that I forget where I am and what I'm doing. So I'm really looking forward to this one.

message 31: by Jolie (new)

Jolie (joliegirl) | 4 comments I love both of the books, I couldn't put Pillars down!

message 32: by Shay (new)

Shay | 13 comments I'm reading this for a Buddy Read in another group. I have to say that if it weren't for my three kids, I probably would be finished and have read it in two days. It only seems long because of the number of pages. When you're actually reading it, all of a sudden you've read 80 or a 100 pages at once and when you have to put it down it's always regretfully. It's one of those long books that feels short (like Lonesome Dove).