Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Passage, Part Ten, Chapters 62-70

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments by Justin Cronin

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 03, 2010 01:55PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Part X, The Angel of the Mountain. Page 679

Again, a summary to ground the conversation in this section.

Peter and Amy are headed toward the orignal compound in Telluride I think where it all started. There they find Lacey and hear how she was infected by Carter, treated by the doctor, and lived with him as his common law wife for 54 years (the treatment gave her a special immunity).
The other group is headed toward the military encampmanet, but come across a dead horse, the horse loaned to Peter. Alicia et al break off to go in search of them.
Meanwhile, Peter is learning from Lacey about The 12. She also gives Peter two vials of the virus she was treated with. She senses that Babcock is coming and sends them away through a "passage." They think she is coming with but at the last minute she seals herself in and sets off a bomb that kills Babcock and all his followers.
Peter and Amy are reunited with Alicia and the others. They encounter virals, and Alicia is bitten by one. Peter feeds her one of the vials of virus in hopes of preventing either her death or her becoming a viral. When it appears not to be working he draws his blade to commit a mercy killing.
Maus has the baby; Conroy is killed; Theo is attached by a viral.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Okay, point 1. Why does Amy age only 10 years in the 90 since she was given the implant? Okay now that I've written it, it seems obvious; the virus slowed her aging but didn't stop it.

Point 2. Lacey reminds Amy that when they first she asked "who is Peter?" I had to look back to be reminded that Peter was the name of her stuffed rabbit. So, Amy was clairvoyant back then and knew a person named Peter was going to come into her life?

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3587 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Okay, point 1. Why does Amy age only 10 years in the 90 since she was given the implant? Okay now that I've written it, it seems obvious; the virus slowed her aging but didn't stop it.

Point 2...."

remember back to the beginning in the jungle where they talked about whatever it was they were doing that prolonged one's life? or something like that..lol
and i guess amy was special all along. but do you think that peter, her rabbit, and peter, the man, are the same peter?

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments how could they be?

Sherry wrote: "
and i guess amy was special all along. but do you think that peter, her rabbit, and peter, the man, are the same peter? "

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3587 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "how could they be?

Sherry wrote: "
and i guess amy was special all along. but do you think that peter, her rabbit, and peter, the man, are the same peter? ""

well technically they couldn't be but since this book was what i call sci-fi "woo woo" you never know..lol

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments LOL, Finally to this point. The end is in sight. I almost want to finish it up and not wait another day. But I think waiting and taking my time with it I'll enjoy it more. Maybe will do one more chapter today.
Everything is starting to come together at least most of it. Sad about alot of the things that happened. With Lish, and the dog and maybe even Theo now. And who knows what happens yet to Maus and the baby. I hope both theo and maus and the baby are okay. I'm glad that Peter and Amy and the other's are all back together at least for the time being. The rabbit Peter and the person peter being the same thing that is a long shot I think. I think the rabbit was named peter because of the story. Yet who knows what Cronin things or writes.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Carol:
I think it was Lacy who was clairvoyant. I think she saw some of Amy's future and mused aloud, "Who is Peter?" when she realized he would be the one to stand with Amy.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Point 2. Lacey reminds Amy that when they first she asked "who is Peter?" I had to look back to be reminded that Peter was the name of her stuffed rabbit. So, Amy was clairvoyant back then and knew a person named Peter was going to come into her life? "

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments My comments about the book to this point:
I like when the meaning of the title is revealed in a book. So, with The Passage.....
Since we know the book is nearing the end as this ends the next to last part, but we know the story continues in some way in another set of one or two books; the references to It is time to find The Passage by Lacy as Peter says he has no weapons is IMHO an opportunity for different interpretations.
The Passage could be:
>The tunnel Peter Amy (and Lacy) went down and out, to get to level 5.
>The tunnel that Babcock entered to go after Lacy
>The journey that Amy set 'The Many of Babcock' on after he was blown up by Lacy or ... something else?
I think it must be the journey for the many. The names intoned on the audio, on and on and on as Amy named the many as humans with identities and memories again before they were consumed by the sun was a very powerful thing.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments A guess here The Passage of time could be another one.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14286 comments Could be time, DonnaJo!
Maybe when I am done we can find out on his website. I am not going there yet! ;)

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3491 comments Don't because I found something out there earlier that I didn't want too.