Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Passage, Part Nine, Chapters 56-61

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments I just typed this in and lost it. I am annoyed....

Part Nine, The Last Expeditionary, page 615.

A summary of this Part to ground our discussion. Spoilers abound.

Sara opens with her jounal. The group is moving east. She has discovered she loves Hollis. They find a farmstead and stay for a few days. Theo and Maus decide Maus can no longer keep up, and elect to stay at the farmstead to have the baby.
Back to third person narration. The group minus M and T are moving through Colorado. They are captured in a net, this time by friendly (if distant) captors.
Theo and Maus find a dog and adopt him.
When the group joins the encampment, Alicia reveals a long held secret, and joins the soldiers. Peter is beside himself.
Alicia and Vorhees (military commander) lead a search party looking for a rumored stronghold of virals. Alicia returns but Vorhees does not, killed by virals.
Peter decides it is time to head to Telluride with Amy, and tells Alicia but no one else. They head out.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments a couple of minor comments,..

I really liked that in the sections from Sara's journal, there are parts that are missing, indicated by "illegible" or "parts missing" or something. I never thought about it before, for this book or whenever an author has used this device, but it makes sense that something that might be well-traveled and maybe even separated from its owner at some point might have pages that are illegible, yet in books journals always are complete when quoted.

This part made me really miss Telluride and western Colorado in general. For ten years I attended the Telluride Film Festival over Labor Day weekend (ironic) and I had to stop when my mom got sick. I never went back, although I will. But I loved Telluride and the neighboring towns -- Durango, Silverton, Placerton, Grand Junction. Such a completely different feel from the east coast, and of course the mountains are breathtaking.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 03, 2010 12:24PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments With the developments with Alicia revealing the Colonel's link to the found regiment, and her decision to join them as someone who was sworn in by her adopted father, the Colonel, I can now acknowledge that I never really warmed up to her, never really accepted her as a rival with Sara for Peter's feelings. I can see now that she is meant to be, and I'm not sure why it wasn't obvious to me. I know I'm not invested in this relationship because when she informed Peter (indirectly) of her decision, and he was devastated, I wasn't, really.

I do have to say also that Peter has remained a little remote to me also. I am rooting for him but not attached to him the way I was attached to some of the characters in The Stand, for example. Don't know if that is because I'm older and a different person, or because of how the author has deliberately or inadvertently drawn the character, or for some other reason.

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "With the developments with Alicia revealing the Colonel's link to the found regiment, and her decision to join them as someone who was sworn in by her adopted father, the Colonel, I can now acknowl..."

i thought there was some unspoken something between them but agree with you, never warmed up to her as a partner for peter. she's so businesslike.. and he's oblivious, so maybe they would have made a good match..lol

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "a couple of minor comments,..

I really liked that in the sections from Sara's journal, there are parts that are missing, indicated by "illegible" or "parts missing" or something. I never thought ..."

i liked that, too ,carol. made it seem more realistic and also made me wonder (since i couldn't go back and check..lol) how far in the future her diary was being read.

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7784 comments Yes, I never got any indication that they acknowledged even nonverbally that they were meant to be together. Much later, maybe in this part, maybe another, Peter references a night they "spent" together, put I could never figure out whether that was a night on watch or, er, something else.

Cronin does several times .... holds out on some detail that you'd expect to see in real time, only to have the character reference it later. For example, when Sara reveals that she loves Hollis, we've never seen any intimacy or connection between them at all. She mentions that there was a shared kiss, but where were WE while all of this was going on, LOL?

Sherry wrote: "
i thought there was some unspoken something between them but agree with you, never warmed up to her as a partner for peter. she's so businesslike.. and he's oblivious, so maybe they would have made a good match..lol ..."

message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Yes, I never got any indication that they acknowledged even nonverbally that they were meant to be together. Much later, maybe in this part, maybe another, Peter references a night they "spent" to..."

i can't remember when or where but there were a few times where lish and peter were together and they "almost" said something- great memory here, right?- the led me to think that they had feelings for each other but never acted on them (except one time they kissed) but maybe wish they had

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14207 comments Carol:
Cronin taught us early on to not get too attached to anyone after what happened to Doyle, Lacy and then to Wolgast!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I do have to say also that Peter has remained a little remote to me also. I am rooting for him but not attached to him the way I was attached to some of the characters in The Stand, for example. Don't know if that is because I'm older and a different person, or because of how the author has deliberately or inadvertently drawn the character, or for some other reason. ."

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3569 comments Ann wrote: "Carol:
Cronin taught us early on to not get too attached to anyone after what happened to Doyle, Lacy and then to Wolgast!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I do have to say also that Peter has remained a li..."

no kidding, ann!

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments I never was that into Lish either. I thought Peter & her would end up together but I'm always one for a romance. And they just seemed almost connected in the beginning. Good friends. But yet how good could she be as a friend to have kept something like this from Peter. Then when Amy came on board I wanted Peter and Amy to end up together for some reason. Hollis and Sara I could never see. Yet it happened. Hollis always seemed to me like the old grandpa type with a long beard and santa like. Yet when I thought Amy was blonde boy was I wrong with that one. I'm now up to chapter 64. Will try and get in maybe another chapter or two tonight.

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3472 comments forgot to mention going ahead and writing down the pages for each chapter it looks like only two part even by the threads left and each part sure has more chapters in it. ugh. Am I ever going to be finished with this book. I know for sure afterwards it's time for some fast books and nothing too fat either.