Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Nor Cal

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Okay ladies...we are moving to Northern California next month. Red Bluff to be exact. My hubs will be working for a chiropractor for a year or so and then will open a satellite office (we hope in Redding). Any information on this area? Where to live, what to do, what's the weather like, etc.? I am pretty near devastated to leave my family behind (we're in Austin now, they are in Dallas), not to mention all the amazing friends we've made in the two years we've lived here (AHEM, Tera). So, anything you have to put my mind at ease would be very much appreciated. Sigh.

Elizabeth (Alaska) It's been a looong time since I've been in that area and I never lived there. As I recall, it's hot, but not the sort of humidity you're used to. Cold in the winter, you might get some snow, but not a lot. I'm sure it's grown and changed, but you're probably not near anything you'd call "cultural". On the other hand, you're just inland from some of the most beautiful coastal areas you'd ever be privileged to visit.

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2562 comments Mod
what the frick! Sunday you were just thinking about it. Sheesh!
Putting aside my own selfishness and trying to be a good supportive friend I will say I LOVE the NW and all things Pacific Coast or close to. I really think you will fall in love. I know how you guys enjoy doing things outdoors and in Northern Cali you actually can do things outdoors and not have to worry about death from 110 degree weather for months on end. Mountains, ocean, trees actual seasons. It's beautiful! Youll still visit right? *sad face*

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4841 comments It's expensive to live in California. I lived in San Jose, CA for a year. I am not sure exactly where Red Bluff is.

message 5: by Gillian (new)

Gillian | 618 comments I've lived in Northern California my entire life (except for 2 years I spent in school on the east coast). California in general is expensive, but the Redding/Red Bluff area is not. It is one of the hottest areas in the state (regularly above 100 degrees during the summer), but it is a dry heat and it cools down at night (the Sacramento River runs through the city), the difference between night and daytime temperatures can be almost 40 degrees. This summer has been very mild compared to normal. Winters are mild and can be foggy.

For kids, the Turtle Bay Museum and Aquarium are great. Mt Lassen national park and Mt Shasta are nearby, and if you enjoy fly fishing Hat Creek is world class. The closest MAJOR airport is Sacramento (2 hours away).

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Wow Emily, congrats on the move! And ((hugs)) because I know how much a big move can just worry the heck out of ya!

If you were moving to the East Coast, I could be of some help, but I wanted to pop in with some love!

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli Well Emily, I'm jealous!!! I wish I could move back there!!

I have lived in Redding before and I lived in Dunsmuir, CA which is 45 minutes north of Redding on Interstate 5 when i was in high school. It's GORGEOUS there and if you want to see pictures I can most certainly email them to you. Tons of natural swimming holes, lakes, mountains, MT. Shasta is phenomenal.....

Red Bluff and Redding are hot. I'm from Fresno, CA and Fresno and Redding have the same temps. It rains more in Redding though than it does in Fresno. It's 100++++ hot in the summer but it's a dry heat so you won't be dealing with humidity anymore. It's not super expensive to live there....

You are about 3 hours inland from Northern CA beaches and they are GORGEOUS. You aren't too far away from Reno/Lake Tahoe and Oregon is about an hour north of where you are moving. I highly suggest going up to Ashland, OR for the Shakespearean Festival.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments Thanks a lot, Holli! You've made me feel better. We are excited about all the natural beauty of this area. We drove up to Lake Shasta last Friday when we were there and thought it was gorgeous. It's too bad about the heat; the other location we were considering is Fremont. I was excited about Bay area weather! But oh well. At least heat isn't going to be a surprise for us.
Thanks for the advice on good activities! Plus I have a good friend from college who lives in Medford, so I will get to see her as well.

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli At least it will be a dry heat.... it's easier to deal with... LOL

There are two lakes farther up from Shasta Lake one called Siskiyou Lake (where I can HIGHLY recommend watching the fireworks on the 4th) and Castle Lake which is fun for ice skating in the winter! I can also tell you how to get to all my fave swimming holes up there too.... ;)