Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Group Read Books - archive > The Passage, Part Eight, Chapters 47-55

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments The section starts with the gang having been rescued and taken away to another compound.

The Chapter where Michael wakes up to all this joy and hilarity and is reunited with the rest of the gang was really well done. I couldn't figure out if he was hallucinating or what. The note Sarah handed him was the perfect resolution to my confusion (and his too).

These people are wierd! What's going on? And what is with these dreams that are being shared by some (but not all) with the mean heavyset woman?

Cronin is doing a great job of leaving some mysteries unsolved. Things dragged a few parts ago but have picked up now. I'm at page 577 so another couple of hundred pages to go. I feel like I'm in the home stretch, but that there is still a lot of story left.

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "The section starts with the gang having been rescued and taken away to another compound.

The Chapter where Michael wakes up to all this joy and hilarity and is reunited with the rest of the gang..."

the whole thing with the dreams was odd, wasn't it? when all is finally revealed, you'll give yourself a mental headslap..lol

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Ha-ha! I think I now know who the mean, heavyset woman is, but why she apears to some and not others I haven't yet figured out.

I can see a lot of mental headslaps in the future, LOL.

Sherry wrote: "
the whole thing with the dreams was odd, wasn't it? when all is finally revealed, you'll give yourself a mental headslap..lol ..."

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3693 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ha-ha! I think I now know who the mean, heavyset woman is, but why she apears to some and not others I haven't yet figured out.

I can see a lot of mental headslaps in the future, LOL.

Sherry wr..."

yeah, i had a lot of them,too..:)
it's hard on the kindle to scroll back to where you think you remembered something was to check on it, ya know?

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Sherry wrote: "
yeah, i had a lot of them,too..:)
it's hard on the kindle to scroll back to where you think you remembered something was to check on it, ya know? .."

I do know. I was listening and found it invaluable to have the HC nearby. There were a lot of places where I went back and re-read, because I thought I missed some transitions. It turned out that I missed very little, it was just the way the book was written.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments I am glad to be at this point in the book finally too. Cronin really jumps around with different points of view and time jumping. He will explain something that happened - 'Maus killed the man at the fuel pump' and then several paragraphs later, start telling how that came about.
The audible audio book is rather helpful to go back chapter by chapter as the audible manager on my pc lets me go back and forth at the chapter breaks. Except for spelling names and places, it is just about as good as having the hardback.
The dreams are driving the characters crazy and somewhat me too. I am curious about the whole dream purpose and wonder why Peter and Alisha don't have them.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments The jumping around took some getting used to but I wound up liking it. I've said this elsewhere but one thing I didn't like is that he would leave characters in these situations where you were sure they were done for, only to rescue them several chapters later. The first couple of times it was a relief, but it got to be that eventually I never believed the danger the character was put into bec I knew they would get rescued.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Carol:
yes, I know what you mean! And another pet peeve on the same track of thought.
This may be something you would only notice on audio, but when he names people at the beginning of a chapter or at a change of scene I try to carefully listen to the names he mentions to be sure I know who is there in the scene. He will conveniently leave one off. He'll talk about everyone BUT Amy or Sara or whoever and leave you wondering if they made it through the last calamity. It took too long to mention Amy after they were "rescued" in las Vegas and too long to identify who made it on the train. That seemed to be on purpose after pointedly separating them on the platform area and in the tunnel leading to the train. I realize the chaotic nature of the event are part of this non-mention, but he does it so often.

Amy particularly gets this treatment. If one of the others doesn't think of her she fades into the background. Maybe now that she has spoken out loud that will change.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "The jumping around took some getting used to but I wound up liking it. I've said this elsewhere but one thing I didn't like is that he would leave characters in these situations where you were sure they were done for, only to rescue them several chapters later. The first couple of times it was a relief, but it got to be that eventually I never believed the danger the character was put into bec I knew they would get rescued."

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I'm finally here too. It's good to get to the end of parts and be able to read the thread it belongs too. I keep wondering about the fat lady tht they are dreaming about. where this is bought in who knows. I don't think Amy will be left out now that she' talking. then I was thinking when we read Sara's journal pages and I notice I don't know if they mention that on the audio after after day it says in ( )'s pages missing. So you wonder what is on those missing pages and who took them or where did they go. Maybe that part means nothing but still it makes you wonder. At one point I was highlighting different things I thought I would go back to but now I'm not even doing that. I read the chapter and rather than keep putting the nook down and picking it up I wait to make notes unless it's something I think I might forget or a comment I want to write exactly as written. I was disappointed that Maus and theo staying behind at the one town. I know she was finding it harder to travel but you hope they will be okay and at some point later on will be able to see their friends again. Also sad to see Caleb die. I'm not liking the chapters on Babcock and wasn't getting them in the beginning but now I know what is happening and even though I know those have to be in the book when one comes up those are the chapters that either drag or I end up putting the nook down for.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments I wondered about that too, DJ
"Pages missing" was intoned in a formal male voice as Sara read that chapter in her own voice - it gave an eerie feeling and left me wondering what the journal went through to last 900 years.
Donnajo wrote: "I was thinking when we read Sara's journal pages and I notice I don't know if they mention that on the audio after after day it says in ( )'s pages missing. So you wonder what is on those missing pages and who took them or where did they go. Maybe that part means nothing but still it makes you wonder."

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments Yeah and I'm not even thinking how many years. When I'm reading the book I"m thinking it's the future and that is about it. I'm in chapter 60 now. Hopefully will get that read and one or two more today. Part of me wants to go out for awhile. Maybe Is should take the nook and read someplace else. I walked to put mail out and it seems nice. And no not sitting on a bench around here. When I walked away from the mail/garbage garage I heard a loud noise of glass breaking turned around saw nothing and I'm thinking animals or something. Didn't like the noise at all very scary. Walked very fast back to my house and got inside.

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 22, 2010 09:57AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8062 comments Dj, I was also excited to get to the end of a Part so I could post all my thoughts. it was a little tougher being one of the first readers because Sherry was really the only one who could really comment. It's fun now that you and Ann are in the mix. (Sherry, that's not a knock on your posts! ;-)
Re: Maus and Theo staying, I really had trouble with that one. I suppose it made sense but it just seemed like there was no way they weren't going to encounter a problem eventually... what were the odds? It made me afraid for them, and I couldn't imagine anyone in the real, nonfictional world making such a choice.
Re: the missing pages, I may have already said this but I really like that they introduced that, because it made it seem more realistic. Wouldn't a journal that was discovered by someone be likely to have damaged or missing pages? But I never questioned it when it appeared as a plot device in other books, and yet it instantly made sense. Funny, though, that I never, not once, wondered what was on those missing pages. I assumed the author would tell us whatever was interesting that we needed to know....

Donnajo wrote: "....It's good to get to the end of parts and be able to read the thread it belongs too. .....I was thinking when we read Sara's journal pages and I notice I don't know if they mention that on the audio after after day it says in ( )'s pages missing. So you wonder what is on those missing pages and who took them or where did they go. Maybe that part means nothing but still it makes you wonder. .... I was disappointed that Maus and theo staying behind at the one town. I know she was finding it harder to travel but you hope they will be okay and at some point later on will be able to see their friends again. "

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I'm now up to chapter 64 and I'm taking a break.

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Carol:
I am so glad we are almost caught up and can discuss the book with you finally too! I should finish saturday I estimate now. I guess the farmstead called to Maus - and she seems to be the one to encourage Theo to stay. I have been equating their actions in this "alone together" segment as a similiar thing as the early pioneers going out in the US West in the 1800's. Extremely scary - yep!