Great African Reads discussion

Great African Reads: Authors > Nnedi Okorafor

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
Nnedi has written a lot of books. Regretfully, I have yet to read any of them. But from what I have read about her and from the feedback she has gotten from readers of her books in other threads in this group, tells me I need to get on the ball with her books!

message 2: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 205 comments The one I've read, Zahrah the Windseeker, is pretty good. Some may feel it is a teen/YA read, but I enjoyed it, and the landscape is definitely African.

message 3: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

I have gotten very interested in YA books because of my almost 13-year old niece. Also a friend of mine is a YA writer and recently publishe his first book and has a second on the way. My niece is a big fan of fantasy so I really must read some of Nnedi's books and see if my niece will also like them. I myself enjoy magical realism so I imagine I will like her books very much.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments I read Who Fears Deathand it was great, but definitely for grown ups. I would like to read "The Windseeker" but haven't yet.

message 5: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

I wonder if Nnedi has strong feelings about which of her books are intended for which audiences or which books are "safe" for teens?

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments Nnedi is a very good writer. Who Fears Death is her first adult novel and will be a BOM for me next month - so I have been holding off reading this novel. All of her prior novels are labeled as YA and have been highly praised.

message 7: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Interesting--any recommendations on where to begin? Maybe I should go backward. It would be neat if several of us read her newest soon and you'll be reading it shortly as it is!

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments LOL - I usually try to read books in publication order. I am not a big fan of YA so having only read parts of the books but others I know who have read them. Some of the books are interconnected. Nnedi has a nice website.

But I too will be getting into YA as my granddaughters get older so I have been making attention and jotting down names for when the oldest granddaughter should be ready to start on the YA in another year or so.

message 9: by AWomanReading (last edited Sep 09, 2010 01:13AM) (new)

AWomanReading Here is a new spoiler-free review of Who Fears Death. http://ow.ly/2BjKV I read the book and thought it was excellent. On the question of whether her books are YA or adult...I think she and the publishers make it pretty clear that her previous books have been specifically for children and YA, but Who Fears Death is her first novel written for the adult reader.

A Woman Readng
http://awomanreading.wordpress.com

message 10: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

A Woman Reading wrote: "Here is a new spoiler-free review of Who Fears Death. I read the book and thought it was excellent. On the question of whether her books are YA or adult...I think she and the publishers make it p..."

your blog is really nice, but i can't seem to find your review of Who Fears Death. however, i very much enjoyed your piece about Helen MacInnes. :D

message 11: by AWomanReading (new)

AWomanReading Sorry, the link to the review is here: http://ow.ly/2BjKV

message 12: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

A Woman Reading wrote: "Sorry, the link to the review is here: http://ow.ly/2BjKV"

Thanks! i finally got a moment to read it. I love CSM, btw.

your review makes me ask myself, "why have i not read this yet??"

i'll have to get on top of this pronto, especially since it's something that can be read in one sitting. i love to read books like that interspersed with the longer ones.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments My sons were never big fiction readers, but now that my oldest daughter has turned sixteen, I'm revisiting the issues of advising people on the cusp of adulthood about books. Who Fears Death has graphic violence, but it's important for the "message" or ideas of the book. I think many teenagers read lots more violent things than this, so I can see some teenagers finding this book interesting and affecting.

message 14: by AWomanReading (last edited Sep 11, 2010 05:28AM) (new)

AWomanReading Andrea wrote: "My sons were never big fiction readers, but now that my oldest daughter has turned sixteen, I'm revisiting the issues of advising people on the cusp of adulthood about books. Who Fears Death has g..."

the main character is a teen for a large portion of the book so teens will find her relatable. There are some graphic portions but I think they are teachable moments.

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 543 comments A Woman Reading wrote: "Andrea wrote: "My sons were never big fiction readers, but now that my oldest daughter has turned sixteen, I'm revisiting the issues of advising people on the cusp of adulthood about books. Who Fe..."

I would have to agree that there are some violent scenes but I do not think anymore than most teens are exposed to today. And all teachable moments on why and how this violence is happening. As there are number of teens and characters in their early 20s - the lessons/concepts may be more palatable.