Cozy Mysteries discussion

Buddy Reads > Chloe Boston Mystery Series (eBook)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (last edited Aug 17, 2010 06:27PM) (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments I've read the books in the series in pieces but have never read them in their entirety, in order from start to finish. Since I plan on doing so now, I thought I'd ask if anyone would like to read along with me and discuss the three books of the series as we go.

I'll admit up front that the author of this series is my wife, Melanie Jackson. The upside of the fact is that I will be able to get free, prerelease copies of the third book in the series for anyone who joins me in this read.

We'll begin by reading Moving Violation, the first book in the series, this Friday, 08/20/2010. Discussion can begin Monday and continue until we're ready to read The Pumpkin Thief.

Hope that people join me for what should be a fun read.

Thanks

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 7 comments Brian, Brian, Brian.....

Last night I needed to start a new book and it was a toss up between Drained and Moving Violation. I chose Drained, darn it. It takes me quite a while to read an ebook because I only read it in the few minutes I still have consciousness before sleep claims me.

It would have been fun but I am going to have to pass.

message 3: by Brian (last edited Aug 17, 2010 08:03PM) (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments Joanne, I'm missing you already. Maybe you'll catch up with us along the way.

Personally, I can think of no better reason to miss this buddy read than to be reading Drained by Brian Jackson. ~Grin~

Happy trails which I hope will cross again some day.

---
Brian

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments Well, my previous attempt to find a buddy didn't work well. Let's try this instead...

I'm going to start reading The Pumpkin Thief this Friday, 9/3/2010.

The first three people to post to this thread indicating that they'll be my buddy get a free copy of The Pumpkin Thief. Simply post here to indicate that you'll join me and include the format of the ebook that you'd like (e.g. Kindle/.mobi, Nook/.epub, ...). I can even provide PDF or RTF versions for those who would like to read along on their PC/Mac (or print their own hardcopy). I'll email you your ebook.

Come be my buddy, don't delay.

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Aug 31, 2010 05:56PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Do you need to read them in order since I've not read the first one? (Would have to read a .pdf on my pc as I don't have an ereader)

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthjduck) | 15 comments I would be happy to read the Pumpkin Thief with you. I am always up for new authors. I have a Kindle.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Curtis (cjccur) | 68 comments I would like to read the Pumpkin Thief with you too. I have a nook.

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments Welcome everyone to my first ever buddy read of the book The Pumpkin Thief by Melanie Jackson.

First off, I started this buddy read in the Cozy Mysteries group and the James Mason Classic British Book Club. The readers are:

Cozy Briansgirl PC/PDF
Cozy Chris Nook
Cozy Ruth Kindle
Mason Shay Nook
Mason Marialyce Kindle

Say hi everyone.

You should all have your books by now. If not, please let me know how I can help.

Next, today, Friday, September 3, 2010, is the start date for the read. So warm up your ereaders and find a cozy place to nest for a while.

Two things left to address:

1) How much do we want to read before posting comments? I've seen other groups read 3 chapters at a time (seems a little slow). I've seen other groups read and post at will. Shall we go for 5 chapters this weekend and start posting on Monday?

2) Since readers were gathered from two groups, we need to decide where to post. Would people mind posting on the Cozy Mysteries since that is specific to the category of the book?

Finally, I'd like to post a couple questions to the readers as they begin the book. What makes a cozy mystery cozy? Is The Pumpkin Thief a cozy mystery?

Happy reading everyone :-).

message 9: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 05, 2010 02:57PM) (new)

I know this is your wife's book Brian, but I'm having problems getting past the first page. It's extrememly confusing that she's talking about people (Bill or Blue) before you know what or who they are. The first line made me wonder what I was getting into and kinda turned me off. And there is incomplete grammar. ( "The haunted house and corn maze on the other side of the courthouse." is not a complete sentence.) I hope it gets better.

Parts of the plot are interesting but it's also like at times we're given too much data about whose wearing what costume, etc. And it seems odd that the amateur sleuth can observe more than two police chiefs (like the dead man's left handed) but doesn't explain how she knows that and just walks away. And it doesn't make sense that her father, former police chief, looks to her and asks how the guy died when he should be experienced enough to know the difference between a knife or gunshot wound.

I know it's silly but gramatical errors really put me off a story. Here's another glaring one from page 16... "It was petty, but I hoped she got her princess dress got covered in apple goo." It could either say.... "I hoped she got her princess dress coverd in apple goo.... or.... I hoped her princess dress got covered in apple goo" but having two "got's" in the sentence makes no sense.

Skipped the dream. Also skipped reading the halloween poem her cousin read earlier.

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments Briansgirl,

You should feel free to say what you feel. Criticism will help us to make the book the best that we can. So, thanks for your comments.

Confession time. There was a book before The Pumpkin Thief named Moving Violation. It was a book that my wife and I worked on together. We both had problems with it, so we pulled it hoping that The Pumpkin Thief would work as the first book instead.

After reading The Pumpkin Thief, I also found that there were a lot of allusions to the contents of the missing first book. Melanie is now looking at fixing the problems in Moving Violation for a rerelease.

I read The Pumpkin Thief on Friday. I found a lot of typos and grammar problems that I've corrected and committed back to Amazon and Smashwords. I'll send you a clean copy and am willing to do the same for others in the group.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope that this hasn't put you off completing the book.

message 11: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 05, 2010 02:56PM) (new)

Thanks Brian. I'm up to chapter 7, so plugging along, but gramatical errors really do throw your reading off. Since I havn't read the first book, that might explain references I didn't understand. I hate being really critical back to the writer because I know how hard it can be to get the books actually written. Yet spellcheck doesn't correct errors in grammar and if it can throw me off, it can throw off other readers as well.

message 12: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 05, 2010 02:19PM) (new)

Are alot of odd nicknames or big words bothering anyone else? For example, David the pustule or braggadocio ?

Another one, pg 34 - - and then skipped town, still owning the undertaker for the couples’ funeral.

Pg 36.. Perhaps because I am jealous of people who can clearly lift and number of hundred pound sand bags without even trying. Read that one 3 times and it's still confusing. Perhaps it should be "any" instead of "and"?

(Just listing the ones so bad they interrupt the flow of my reading, in case you didn't catch these, since I'm still reading the unedited copy.)

Skipping the flashback in italics. Just seems too long and not sure it's relevant. Same for all the dream sequences. Sure are alot of these throughout the book, and long ones too. Had they been real short, I'd have read them.

Pg 42 — he’s all alone you known— Lose the "n".

This might sound odd, but I'm on page 44 and Chloe's job and work vehicle are still a bit confusing. It's been mentioned, but in such a roundabout way that I feel as if I'm only getting bits and pieces. She's a meter reader, parking attendant or parking enforcement officer for the police department, one who marks tires with chalk and comes back and tickets them if they havn't moved their vehicle. Sometimes it sounds as if she had a bicycle to work from, but never heard of a sidecar on a bicycle. However, sidecars are commonly on motorcycles but she obviously doesn't have that. Is the slow moving thing she drives more like the carts elderly or handicapped drive around on?

“Hey, dad,” I said, freeing Blue from durance vile and grabbing the three sandwiches and an apple juice. I actually had to look that up to learn it was ...Archaic imprisonment, esp. when long continued.

Bacchanalia - really need a dictionary to read this :(

message 13: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 05, 2010 02:15PM) (new)

Reading updated copy now....

Pg 54... "I’ve locate Ryan Endicott," Needs a "d".

"The chief wanted Hope Falls only homicide in a decade solved and quickly." In this case, Hope Falls is possessive and you'd add a S except the city name already has one so an apostrophe should be added after the s in Falls, to be Falls'. (I know getting picky here, but it doesn't read correctly without it.)

Sorry... instead of a review its more of a proofreading.

This feels as if it's going to be a series. The romance started before this book and since this book contains the "meet the family dinner", it feels as if it's suppose to be the start of something serious, but not serious enough to end the romance in this book (ie with a marriage proposal or wedding). It's like a background storyline that I'm only getting the middle piece to.

" Scopozzi’s is an old boarding house for loggers, wood floors, low ceilings with open
rafters and big fireplaces."
I don't think the punctuation of a comma after loggers is the correct punctuation for that sentence. Comma's read as pauses and I needed more of a distinction between loggers and wood floors so that I know a list follows where a comma works between wood floors and low ceilings as you're listing what's in the building. I don't know if I'm correct, but I'd use a : or maybe a ; than a comma.

message 14: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Sep 05, 2010 02:45PM) (new)

Done. Not to give the ending away... but for me it was easy to tell who the killer was halfway through the story. And as for the pumpkin thief...I just found that kinda...odd. Overall, not a bad story, but I had problems with it.

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments It's been quiet on this thread. I think I'll break the ice by posting my own thoughts on The Pumpkin Thief which I finished last Saturday.

First off, I liked it. I especially liked the beginning. I enjoyed the holiday in the park and the jack-o-lantern competition. I liked that the book began with a bang, kept moving, and didn't bog down in a lot of background. I liked the characters.

The murder was simple. I enjoyed the solving of the murder less than the first half of the book where Chloe dealt with the odd characters in town.

It was obvious while reading the book that there was a previous book in the series. Moving Violation has been cleaned up and reissued.

I also corrected several typos which have been committed to a new revision of The Pumpkin Thief.

All-in-all, I found the book to be enjoyable and look forward to reading the next book in the series.

message 16: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I did like the quirky characters in the small town but I would agree that it was obvious that there was a book before this one. I didn't mind the murder plot but I didn't care as much for the pumpkin thief plot. All in all, not a bad story once I got past the grammar errors which are now fixed.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris Curtis (cjccur) | 68 comments I finished the book over the holiday weekend but I have been working so much I haven't had time to post.

I'm glad to see that Moving Violation has been reissued. The references to it were distracting. It felt like there were people and places that I should already be familiar with but wasn't. I got confused several times about who people were. Not the victim or suspects but the friends family and co-workers. If some of them were introduced in a previous book it would make this one better.

The one character I didn't like was the dog. He didn't do much but was mentioned frequently. All I remember about him was Chloe being concerned about his old age. I would either like to see him do more that affected the investigation or be mentioned less.

I wasn't bothered by the big words. The only unfamiliar term was durance vile.

I agree that the flashbacks and dreams were a bit too long.

The ending to the pumpkin thief plot seems a little rushed. I expected a little more sleuthing before that mystery was solved.

I did like the characters and both mysteries. The small town characters were interesting. The holiday theme was fun. I like that Chloe has had a taste of real detective work and now has to think about what she really wants to do. I'm also interested in her romance. I would definitely read the previous book and and further ones.

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments I've just created a Melanie Jackson Fan group in FaceBook. If you're interested in the Chloe Boston Mystery Series, consider joining the FaceBook group for added information and free prizes.

message 19: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments Red, White, and a Dog Named Blue (A Chloe Boston Mystery Book 8) by Melanie Jackson The Chloe Boston Mystery Series has just spawned it's latest incarnation, Red, White, and a Dog Named Blue by Melanie Jackson (available in eBook).

Red, White, and a Dog Named Blue is a collection of short stories that fills in the gaps betwixt and between in Chloe's life. In the title story, Chloe's 4th of July turns deadly when she is called in to judge a baking competition at the county fair. In the story Batter Up!, Chloe gets talked into joining the precinct softball team to co-captain under Dale Gordon. Searching for Christmas finds Chloe applying her sleuthing skills to discovering what she's getting for Christmas. And in Lights! Camera! Action, Chloe takes an aspiring young actress on her rounds to show her the ropes.

I hope to see you for the rest of the story.

On eBook at: Amazon(Kindle), B&N(Nook), SmashWords(All).

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments The Great Pumpkin Caper (A Chloe Boston Mystery Book 10) by Melanie Jackson The latest in the Chloe Boston Mystery Series, The Great Pumpkin Caper by Melanie Jackson is now available in eBook for only $0.99.

The Great Pumpkin Caper is a short story. It's Halloween and this year Chloe is certain she'll win the pumpkin carving contest, but the night before the competition someone uses Mr. Jackman's giant pumpkin to squash an unpopular dentist. This is publicity the town doesn't need. Can Chloe solve the pumpkin caper and save Halloween?

Enjoy.

On eBook at: Amazon(Kindle), B&N(Nook), Smashwords(All).

message 21: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianjjaxn) | 13 comments Beast of a Feast by Melanie Jackson is now available in eBook.

It's autumn in Hope Falls, the time of year that thoughts turn to family, friends, and large meals. Instead of hosting a large Thanksgiving meal at her place, Chloe opts to have a cozy dinner out with her husband, Alex. But her plans are changed for her and soon grow out of control. Meanwhile, Chloe is on the lookout for a lost boy in this delightful holiday romp.

On eBook at: Amazon(Kindle), B&N(Nook), Smashwords(All).