Grand River Prep Reads! discussion

Maus

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deerfieldn (new)

Deerfieldn | 3 comments Maus: A Survivor's Tale, by Art Spiegelman is a graphic novel about a father telling his story of the Holocaust to his adult son (Art Spiegelman). I thought that this was a pretty decent book, I found it a bit boring at times, and I didn't think the characters were fleshed out as much as they could have been. Aside from those problems, I loved the art of the novel and found it very fitting for the tale. I can't really say I enjoyed the ending, or the writing all that much. I would recommend this book to people who have not read the memoir Night by Elie Wiesel, because after reading that Maus will not be very entertaining. A question that I have is why would Art be mad at his father for getting rid of his deceased wife's journals? Going as far as to call his father a murderer. This is one of the major reasons why I didn't like Maus. I don't think there is much to say about this book. It's not terrible, it's not great either,It just exists. Some may enjoy the novel, but I just didn't think it needed to be told. I'm sure others may disagree. The story does have it's moments, but not enough to keep me interested for very long. I did enjoyed the beginning, but after a little while the story seemed to just drag on. I'd probably say the story is mediocre. So if you have to decide which story of the Holocaust to read, go with Night.

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian 2e | 3 comments Maus a survivors tale by Art Spiegelman was an okay story about the holocaust. I felt that the beginning of the book was very boring because the setting of the story kept changing from place to place, with a lot of what I thought were unnecessary details and I just really didn't think they needed to have all that in the story. At some points the book got more interesting and suspenseful but then got predictable fell short of my expectations again. I think that this story was a book that will keep the attention of others but it really didn't to me. I have read other books about the holocaust and most of them kept my attention throughout the whole story instead of just parts. Though I do give props to the author for putting it in the perspective of a mouse and writing it in a graphic novel. Vladek was my favorite character because he was the one who lived the tale and who told it. I disliked Art Spiegleman because I really did not see a point to him being in the book except for the opinions he threw out and the whole story telling theme that came out during the story. However, honestly I would not recommend this book to people who have little patience like me, but if you do have patience and don't need the book at suspense all the time then this could be a really good book for you. I do not have any questions about this book.

message 3: by Arica (new)

Arica Muthmann | 2 comments Well to both Brian and Nicco, I thought this book was not boring at all. I liked how the author made Artie ask his father to tell him about the war so that he could write it in his own comic book. The story is very moving and shows good qualities such as perseverance, bravery and such things. But I gotta say the pictures weren't all that great. One thing that confused me was the mice, pigs, and cats. I know that the mice were Jews and the cats were Nazis but this made the story very unrealistic. If it was real this story would be very good, but then again this book wouldn't be called Maus. I would definitely recommend this book for people who like history and learning about the war. Even though some of the facts might not apply to the real war. Such as the mice having masks of a pig.
Well unlike Nicco, this was a good story not awesome just good. An average person may tell a story about him running away from a raccoon but this is REAL. A jew having to hide in bunkers, being played, and starving.
But overall this book is good if you ignore the pictures. Personally I just read really, I barely looked at the pictures because they were so uninteresting.
One thing that I was bugged with was how the author added too much little stuff. Like the dad have a mini heart attack on the street.
Oh and a question that I always wondered if Vladek hates Mala and vice versa why won't they get a divorce? It was bugging me in the book how they kept complaining about each other and in the end nothing happened. I predicted that they would get a divorce in the end. I guess not.