Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenges of Yesteryear > Books to Movies Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sashana (last edited Nov 15, 2010 02:27PM) (new)

Sashana The Movie Industry has had a huge impact on the world of books for a long time. We’ve seen many books, both classic and contemporary, turned into movies. Sometimes the directors and producers get it right, and sometimes they really miss the mark!

We have decided to do an activity called the Book to Movies Reading Challenge. Members: please note that this challenge is for 30 days (1 month). You may choose from three different reading levels.

They are as follows:
Easy: 1-3 books
Moderate: 3-5 books
Difficult: 6+ books

Below you will find a list of books that have been made (or are currently being made) into a movie.

Participants: Please note that you are NOT limited to the books listed below. These books are simply some examples of books that you can use.
Book/Movie Index

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Scott Pilgrim, #2) by Bryan Lee O'Malley The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) by Sophie Kinsella The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Jaws by Peter Benchley Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl Beastly by Alex Flinn The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks Dear John by Nicholas Sparks Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood The Spiderwick Chronicles Box Set (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1-5) by Holly Black The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1) by Robert Ludlum The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter Charlotte's Web (Trophy Newbery) by E.B. White The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini Push by Sapphire Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger Derby Girl by Shauna Cross Cirque du Freak (Cirque du Freak The Manga, #1) by Darren Shan My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Eragon by Christopher Paolini Inkheart Trilogy Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath (Inkheart, #1-3) by Cornelia Funke The Clique (The Clique, #1) by Lisi Harrison I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle A Series of Unfortunate Events Pack (Books 1-4) (Series of Unfortunate Events, Books 1-4) by Lemony Snicket Jumper (Jumper, #1) by Steven Gould The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #1) by Ann Brashares Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn Hoot by Carl Hiaasen The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella Harry Potter Boxset (Harry Potter, #1-7) by J.K. Rowling Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

message 2: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Sashana wrote: "The Movie Industry has had a huge impact on the world of books for a long time. We’ve seen many books, both classic and contemporary, turned into movies. Sometimes the directors and producers get i..."

I'm going to aim for maybe four or five books which puts me in the moderate category.

I'll try Eat, Pray, Love, The Last Song, Water for Elephants, The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud, The Time Traveler's Wife.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments I think I will do 4, I definatly want to do Eat Pray Love :)

message 4: by Jodie (new)

Jodie | 16 comments There's a good 7 books I would like to read but, I'm not sure I would be able to finish them all in time. I'll try though lol...

Flipped seems funny so I'll start with that :)

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Oddrun wrote: "i'm going for moderate, but i'm not sure about all of them yet. I think i'll start with 'the timetravelers wife', and take it from there. Somebody got any good recomendations? Please no crime, and ..."

I loveee Time Travelers Wife! :)

message 6: by Lisarenee (last edited Aug 18, 2010 01:05AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Oddrun asked,"Somebody got any good recomendations? Please no crime, and no crying."

I'd say the following would all fit your criteria Oddrun: Confessions of a Shopaholic, The Lightening Thief, Beastly, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Hoot. There are a couple of others I'll try to look into. I think Aquamarine would okay as well as The Secret Lives of Bees.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 106 comments I choosed 11 books of them.
1)Can you keep a secret?
2)the lovely bones
3)confession of a shopaholic
4)the lightning thief
5)I'd tell you I love you, but then I'd have to kill you
6)charlie and the chocolate factory
7)the last song
8)notebook
9)dear John
10)nights in Rodanthe
11)the time traveler's wife
I hope my sister wont buy any other books so I can read all of them easily:)

message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments lol means laugh out loud.

message 9: by Christine (Cagnes) (last edited Sep 07, 2010 05:24PM) (new)

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 237 comments Not sure how many I'll get though, but I'll shoot for at least 3. These are all books on my TBR list and are either sitting on my bookshelf or on my Kindle, so it would be nice to clear some space!

1. The 19th Wife (finished 9/7)

All the Pretty Horses, No Country for Old Men, Mystic River, East of Eden, The Reader, The Last Song, My Sister's Keeper, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Lightning Thief, Love Comes Softly

All the Pretty Horses (Border Trilogy, #1) by Cormac McCarthy No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy Mystic River by Dennis Lehane East of Eden by John Steinbeck The Reader by Bernhard Schlink The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #1) by Rick Riordan The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) by Janette Oke

message 10: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 5 comments I will definitely give this challenge a try and will see how many I can get through.....

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments i'm in. cannot wait to pick my picks. promised a friend i would read "eclipse" so i have my first book choosen and will build from there

message 12: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 433 comments Going for Moderate.

Here are 5 from my TBR list...will see how many I get

1. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
2. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
3. No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
4. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
5. Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) Lauren wrote: "I think I will do 4, I definatly want to do Eat Pray Love :)"

Is it bad that I'm not interested in Eat Pray Love, but I want to read Eat Prey Love - by Kerrelyn Sparks?

message 14: by Debbie (last edited Aug 21, 2010 05:45AM) (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments i was just lookin at my book shelves trying to decide what books to read for this challenge. i cannot decide if i want to read books already made into movies so i can compare or read books i know are in the process of being made. what a conundrum.

also, does a book made into a 3-part tv series for BBC count?

message 15: by Lauren (last edited Oct 06, 2010 04:31AM) (new)

Lauren | 931 comments 1) Water for Elephants
2) The Lovely Bones
3) The Bell Jar
4). The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Let's see if I can do it...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I might consider doing an all S.King version. I am not a fan but I know a lot of his books are movies. This may also change my opinion of him being too dark. I love horror, but sometimes even he scares me =/. Will post as I go. Doing moderate.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (eclairem) I LOVE reading books and then watching the movie, or vice versa, so I'm really going to enjoy this :)

Here are the ones I think I'll be able to read in September for this challenge:
1) Flipped
2) The Da Vinci Code
3) The Lovely Bones

I definitely want to read more though! I'm not quite sure I'll have the means to get them though and the books I've just listed I either own (and haven't read yet) or I know a friend who I can borrow from. Here's a full list of all the ones I want to read, eventually. I've left out ones that REALLY don't interest me at all, or ones I've already read.

The English Patient
Never Let Me Go
The Golden Compass
Water for Elephants
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Beastly
The Last Song
Eat, Pray, Love
The Lord of the Rings
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Push
The Nanny Diaries
My Sister's Keeper
The Secret Life of Bees
I Love You, Beth Cooper
The Clique
also, I've made one attempt at Pride and Prejudice but I'll try it again.

message 18: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Good luck Emily. Remember that if all else fails you can always check out your local library.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Got quite a few S.King books @ the Buck a bookbi-annual sale. Excited to start this =D

message 20: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I hoped you saved some money. Sales are the best.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic @Sashana I did =D I work at the bookstore that hosted the sale. I got to keep out the books before the crowds rushed in. I got 25 books for $5.

message 22: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Sizzlin Miss Kenjii wrote: "@Sashana I did =D I work at the bookstore that hosted the sale. I got to keep out the books before the crowds rushed in. I got 25 books for $5."

OMG that was a steal! I remember I went to a book fair last year and I got 3 books for $10 and I was so happy lol. If I got 25 for $5 I would just cry from happiness. Kenjii, you hit the book lottery. Do you get discounts at the book store where you work?

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Geez. I am really poking along at this challenge... Busy :( I will have to start reserving time to read. LOL

message 24: by Trisha (last edited Sep 27, 2010 11:53AM) (new)

Trisha | 5 comments "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" - Did not love this one so much.
"Flowers for Algernon" - This one was really amazing and it was a quick read!
"The Hobbit" - J.R.R. Tolkin
"The Fellowship of the Ring" - J.R.R. Tolkin

Whew, squeeked by with four!

message 25: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I loved Flowers for Algernon. I had no idea it was a movie though. I have The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo but I haven't even opened it lol.

Lauren, I know what you mean. I wish it were still summer so I could just lay around and read.

message 26: by Sashana (last edited Sep 06, 2010 08:28AM) (new)

Sashana Just finished my first book in this challenge.

1) The Kite Runner- September 03 to 05, 2010

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Yea I can't take it! School tomorrow and still so much to do. On my way to a picnic. Don't really want to go because I have stuff to finish up but... I have to :(

message 28: by Abby (last edited Jun 01, 2011 10:12AM) (new)

Abby (maenadsnest) Going with easy.

Casually I just started The Lovely Bones
Then I'll go with El Perfume: Historia de un Asesino ('Perfume: Story of a Murderer'by Patrick Süskind)
And then...I don't know...I'll let you know, maybe I'll properly read El señor de los anillos I. La Comunidad del Anillo (LOTR #1)

So it goes:

* The Lovely Bones
* El Perfume: Historia de un Asesino
* El señor de los anillos I. La Comunidad del Anillo

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold El Perfume Historia de un Asesino by Patrick Süskind La Comunidad del Anillo (El Señor de los Anillos, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments I am reading The Lovely Bones too! :)

message 30: by Abby (new)

Abby (maenadsnest) Lauren wrote: "I am reading The Lovely Bones too! :)"

I'm liking it a lot...maybe it's because I've seen the movie but it really connects you with the situation.
The only thing is that it is kind of depressing sometimes.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Abby wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I am reading The Lovely Bones too! :)"

I'm liking it a lot...maybe it's because I've seen the movie but it really connects you with the situation.
The only thing is that it is kind ..."

I haven't seen the movie... I just finished chapter 11.

message 32: by Debbie (last edited Sep 13, 2010 11:02AM) (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments Starting today with Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford . Will read Eclipes and then Pride & Prj & Zombies or Eat Pray Love

message 33: by Debbie (last edited Sep 13, 2010 05:55PM) (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments Update to my TBR list for this challenge. Picked up book for gym book club and it is Mystic River so i will substitute it for P&P&Z and Eat Pray Love.

So this is the list and i'm sticking to it: The Pursuit of Love & Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford ; Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer ; and Mystic River by Dennis Lehane

if time permits, i may try to include Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith & Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

message 34: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Debbie, I admire that you pick a set list and stick to it. I listed some books above and the first book I read for this challenge was not on the list :D

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Hoffman | 56 comments Hi sashana
how was "Kite Runner"? i've read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and luvvvvvved it. You should really read "Water for Elephants" from your previous list. it is one of my fav books. i think they may have miscast the movie; but, i'll keep an open mind.

message 36: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I have Water for Elephants but I didn't read it yet. I'm running out of things to read so I'll probably read it this weekend.

Yeh, I heard about the cast and it's a shame.

message 37: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid  (initch) I couldn't bring myself to finish The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold . It just was not doing it for me. Maybe if I watch the movie then read the book it will be better. I don't know the book just wasn't....good, IMO. Maybe I'll try again at another time.

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Sashana wrote: "I have Water for Elephants but I didn't read it yet. I'm running out of things to read so I'll probably read it this weekend.

Yeh, I heard about the cast and it's a shame."

You should!:)

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 237 comments Debbie wrote: "Hi sashana
how was "Kite Runner"? i've read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and luvvvvvved it. You should really read "Water for Elephants" from your previous list. it is one of my fav books. i thin..."

I loved both "Kite Runner" & "A Thousand Splendid Suns" , but liked Kite Runner better.

message 41: by Kristina (last edited Mar 23, 2011 09:43PM) (new)

message 42: by Gayle (new)

Gayle (gretarahikkainen) | 125 comments How did I miss this one?! I should think of doing this challenge. I know I have 2 books that were made into movies, and my daughter has another one for me for sure. So.....maybe I can fit this one it along with the other one I plan to attempt. I'll be starting 1/1/12.

message 43: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Really how was this missed...I think I will do this challenge too. I will start 12/23/11 because I am about to start The Other Boleyn Girl.

message 44: by NayNay (last edited Jan 09, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

NayNay Difficult

Start 12/23/11 - 01/23/12

10/10

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory 12/28/11 ★★★★
Jaws by Peter Benchly ★★★★ 01/09/12
Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold ★★ 01/07/12
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult ★★★★ 01/06/12
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 12/23/11 ★★★★
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane 01/02/12 ★★★★
The Reader by Bernhard Schlink 12/31/11 ★★
The Blind side by Michael Lewis 01/03/12 ★★★★
The Color Purple by Alice Walker 12/29/11 ★★★★
Kiss the Girls by James Patterson 12/26/11 ★★★★

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory Jaws by Peter Benchley The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane The Reader by Bernhard Schlink The Blind Side Evolution of a Game by Michael Lewis The Color Purple by Alice Walker Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, Book 2) by James Patterson

message 45: by Inkeri (last edited Jan 20, 2012 08:16AM) (new)

Inkeri I'm going to do the easy level.

Start 12/27/2011
End 1/26/2012

My books:
One Day by David Nicholls Finished 1/1/2012 ★★★★
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert Finished 1/8/2012 ★★
About a Boy by Nick Hornby Finished 1/19/2012 ★★★★★

One Day by David Nicholls Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert About a Boy by Nick Hornby

message 46: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Naynay wrote: "Difficult

Start 12/23/11 - 01/23/12

10/10

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory 12/28/11 ★★★★
Jaws by Peter Benchly ★★★★ 01/09/12
Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold ★★ 01/07/12
My Siste..."

Well I fininshed my challenge....and I just knocked a couple more books off my TBR shelf and a couple of rereads that I enjoyed just as much as the first time around. Well good luck to everyone and happy reading.

message 47: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Congrats, Naynay!

message 48: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments Can these also be books made into Masterpiece Theater movies? There are several coming out that were based on books.
Birdsong A Novel Of Love And War by Sebastian Faulks
The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens
The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens

message 49: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Sure, Kellyflower! Are those plays or something? I've never heard of masterpiece theater before.

message 50: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 248 comments No, they're actual movies, but just made for Masterpiece Classic (not theater, sorry). Which usually is on a PBS channel (in America). Some of my favorite movies are the BBC production ones. Like North and South I can't remember which ones are which ones. I think most of the time they take a book and make it a mini series, because a 2 hour movie just doesn't give enough time to tell the whole story.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.