Wellspring Prep Reads! discussion

quotes of: the outsiders

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bria (new)

Bria Tatum | 3 comments Dallas: We gotta win that fight tonight. We gotta get even with those Socs! Let's do it for Johnny, man. We'll do it for Johnny! -
Johnny Cade was a hero. After saving Ponyboy from drowning in a fountain by killing the Soc with a knife, Ponyboy and he run away, for fear of getting arrested.They eventually they end up staying in an abandoned Church, where Ponyboy, the film's intellectual, reads Johnny "Gone with the Wind". The church later catches on fire, and Johnny redeems himself for the murder of the Soc by saving several children that had accidentally started the fire. Unfortunately for Johnny though, a piece of roof falls on him and seriously injures him. and they take him to the hopsital and he dies later.
Johnny: Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold. - this was johny last words before he dies

pony boy: When I stepped out into the bright sunlight, from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman, and a ride home.- this is what johnny says to ponyboy to make him feel that he is very lucky.

Randy: You can't win. You know that, don't you? It doesn't matter if you whip us, you'll still be where you were before, at the bottom. And we'll still be the lucky ones at the top with all the breaks. It doesn't matter. Greasers will still be Greasers and Socs will still be Socs. It doesn't matter. - he is saying that everyone will be the same so there is no need to fight because the socs will have everything no matter what happens.

Cherry: I hope I never see Dallas Winston again. If I do I'd... probably fall in love with him. - she was apart of the socs and her boyfriend was a soc and she didnt want to make trouble because she liked dallas

Dallas: WHY DO YOU BOTHER HELPING PEOPLE, HUH? It doesen't do any good. - when johnnny was dying in the hopsital dallas was taking it out on the doctors because he was so upset.

Ponyboy: Johnny was my best friend.
Scout: What happened to him?
Ponyboy: He died. In a fire. ...I got out in time. ...But he didn't. ...So dawn goes down to day... Nothing gold can stay. - ponyboy talks to scout as he is very sad about him dying in the fire.

Two Bit: Look at the blonde-headed monkey!- he says as he looks pony boys hair because pony boy bleached his hair when he was running away. so he woodnt be noticed.

Greaser in Concession Stand: Let's take it outside - the greaser had told them that because they were trying to talk to the socs girls.

Ponyboy: they tried to drown me, and they were gonna beat up Johnny Cade.- pony boy told the court this when the fight became public.

darry:"you don't just stop living because you lose someone" (p.173)? - Darry means that life goes on and you must try to live your life to the fullest even though you miss your loved one. The person you lost would want you to carry on without him. You can honor and remember the person you lost even though you miss them.

my overall expression of this book was that you team work and faimlies sticking together and friends through the bad times and good times.I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone, it's an amazing book. Probably teens from about 13-16 or maybe older, specifically. People who like a little bit of drama and realistic fiction. i liked the characters and how they expressed there selves and how they think differntly. the plots of the stories were very exciting and well fit to what the drama had going on .

Annalise Venhuizen Kontras (annalisevkontras) | 32 comments Mod
Thanks for giving us a great taste of the book!

message 3: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Shea | 5 comments The Outsider's Quotes

“Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold” –Johnny

When Johnny said this he meant for Ponyboy to always stay fun and Childish. For him to continue to live life the same way he does now.
-----------------------

“Maybe they won’t see us, act normal” –Cherry “Who is acting? I’m a natural normal” – Two-Bit

Cherry spotted her ex-boyfriend while she was hanging out with Two-Bit & some other Greasers. So she tells them all to act like regular guys so her Soc ex-boyfriend won’t know they are Greasers.
------------------------

“Dally raised the gun and I thought: You blasted fool, they don’t know you’re only bluffing. And even as the police man’s gun spit fire into the night I knew that was exactly what Dally wanted” – Ponyboy

Dally had robbed a convenience store so the cops would chase after him. After he found out that Johnny had died from the burns he had received, Dally had wanted to kill himself. Johnny was like the little brother Dally never had. That’s why he was so upset when Johnny died. Dally pulled a gun on the police so they’d shoot him and kill him.
------------------------

“All Socs aren’t like that, you have to believe me Ponyboy not all of us are like that” –Cherry

Cherry was trying to explain that just because you are a Soc doesn’t mean you are stuck up.
------------------------

“Did you know you got your name in the paper for being a hero?” –Two-Bit

Johnny and Ponyboy had saved several children from a church fire. The church had caught fire from Johnny and Ponyboy’s cigarettes that they had left inside. So when they saw the fire they immediately jumped inside to save the kids.
--------------------------

“Your name’s really Ponyboy?” – A Reporter asked “Yeah even on my birth certificate. And don’t bug me about it. Are…. Are the little kids okay?” – Ponyboy

While Ponyboy was in the hospital a reporter came in to question him. Ponyboy was named as he was because his dad loved horses, plain and simple. Ponyboy was asking about the kids he and Johnny saved in the church fire.
--------------------------

“I killed him… I killed that boy” – Johnny

Two Socs tried to jump Johnny and Ponyboy. Bob (one of the Socs) was trying to drown Ponyboy in a fountain, but Johnny came up and stabbed Bob to save Ponyboy. Afterwards both boys threw up from looking at Bob and thinking about what had just happened.
---------------------------

“Oh no. No Johnny, not my hair” –Ponyboy

Johnny and Ponyboy had to dye and cut their hair so they wouldn’t look like their descriptions that were placed in the paper after they killed Bob. Ponyboy was very fond of his light-brown, almost red-ish hair and he couldn’t imagine cutting it and dying it blonde.
-----------------------------

“You mean they were thinking of putting me and Soda in a Boy’s home or something?” –Ponyboy

Social workers wanted to take Ponyboy and Sodapop out of their house because they thought it was unfitting for them.
------------------------------

“Listen Soda, you and Ponyboy If the fuzz show, you two beat it out of there. The rest of us can onlyget jailed, but you two can get sent to the Boy’s Home.” –Darry

The Greasers were about to go to the rumble. They were going to fight the Socs. Darry was trying to make sure that Ponyboy and Sodapop would run away if the police came so that they wouldn’t be sent to the Boy’s Home.