Grand River Prep Reads! discussion

Night by Elie Wiesel

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Waters | 5 comments Night by Elie Wiesel was a very sad but good and true story of a boy in the worst time in history for the Jews and any others who an evil man named Hitler disliked. This book gives another example of how horrible it was for the people living in the concentration camps during World War II. I really liked it even though it didn’t make me cry like it makes some people. There wasn’t really a plot that you could get into or an author’s style that was super good that made you want to read more in Night. The ending was more sad than good because he was the only one in his family to come out of the event alive. The only reason I really liked the book was because it has the same message as all the other Holocaust books out there: never ever let this tragedy happen again to anyone. I would recommend this book to anyone really, not really for the little kids though because of the details of the concentration camps. But people should read this because the more that read about how devastating it was the less likely that we won’t have another Holocaust. I only really have one question about this book and that would for the author about his life after the story ended. What was your life like after you were released from Nazis custody and how did you move on and deal with your family’s death would be the type of questions I would ask.

message 2: by Deerfieldn (new)

Deerfieldn | 3 comments First off, I would like to mention to Rachel that there are two other books after this that explain his life after the Holocaust. Look them up, I think you will enjoy them.

Night by Elie Wiesel is a true story about a teenage boy surviving the Holocaust. I thought that the book was very deep and engaging. The writer did a great job with imagery and to make us feel for the characters. Some of the things that stood out to me about the plot were the ending and the characters. I found the ending to be interesting because it was not necessarily a happy one. Although the Elie was liberated from the concentration camp practically all of his family had died, thus leaving mixed feelings from the readers. The thing about the characters that I enjoyed was how each one of them, no matter how small of a part they had, were written with so much life. All of the characters seemed real, not because they actually were at that point in time, but because the writer brought them into reality with his words. I would recommend this book to any individual that is interested in our worlds history, since the Holocaust is one of the most infamous and tragic events of this century. I wanted to know how Mrs. Schachter's ten year old son felt as his own mother was on the brink of insanity, and what could have been going through his mind as she was beaten right before his eyes.

All in all, I thought that this was a great book and should be read by anyone who is interested in the Holocaust. It is a very sad and endearing story that deserves a spot on any readers shelf.

Annalise Venhuizen Kontras (annalisevkontras) | 22 comments Mod
Great posts, both of you! This is one of my favorite types of books to read because I'm so intrigued about Holocaust history and so deeply saddened by it.

message 4: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie | 1 comments I liked this book alot. It gave me insight to a topic I hadn't reallyy known much about. Well I knew the basics, that Hitler was involved and he killed thousands and thousands of Jewish people. I find it utterly amazing that Elie Wiesel had the courage to write about his exspirences in this situation at all. I think he was a very brave and strong young man. He was around my age when this happened to him which made me see that no matter at what age you are terrible things can happen to you that can dramaticly change your life forever. He made decisions that even in my wildest dreams I don't know if i could even manage. There was no way I would have been able to do what he did.

I would most definatly recommend this book, it will change the way you look at the world. This book is best for those who really want to have a first person point of refrence to what really happend and the pure trama that these people had to face on an hourly basis, from being forced to run miles in the cold snowy winters to cramped traveling and being half starved and overly worked.

From just knowing that during most ime periods in the past women where seen to have less value than any man would, and since this is from a man, all be it a young man. It leaves me wondering what the womans camp was like... was it much worse or was it about equal?

message 5: by Lexi (new)

Lexi W | 3 comments I really loved this book overall. Which is the opposite of what I thought when my mother and sister tried to persuade me to read it. But after finishing this book I found myself to be quite wrong. I thought Night was very well thought trough and written quite nicely. It also made me feel like I was actually standing there watching this whole story take place, almost as if I was having a dream about it. So it made this book very hard for me to put down. Which resulted in me finishing this book in record time because I always wanted to know what was going to happen next in the book. This book gives a very good example of what it was like for the Jews who lived back in the 1940's. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a good read. Because they will love this book. Also I would recommend Night to those out there just like me who don't enjoy reading because this book is very interesting and will keep you interested throughout your whole read. And that it was I always want in books that I read. One question that I have is did Eliezer's mother and sisters survive through this? And if they did, did Eliezer ever find them or hear about them? Another question I had did this event in the beginning of Eliezer's life effect the rest of his life? And how did it? In good was or only in bad?