Romance, Historical or Otherwise discussion

Archive > Penny Vincenzi

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) | 1520 comments Mod
Has anyone read her? I keep seeing her books, and the reviews are very mixed. Thoughts?

message 2: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) I remember reading one of hers called Old Sins and liking it very much. It was one of those mega page, late 80s business/family empire sagas that were all over the place back then.

Other than that, I keep seeing her books in the stores, but haven't read any others that I can recall.

message 3: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (last edited Aug 17, 2010 02:50PM) (new)

Ya me too. Keep seeing them everywhere, have yet to read one. Maybe I should just buy one already, to ease the curiousity hey?

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) Let me know if you do - it would give me another author to pick from when I'm out shopping!

message 5: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Do you live in Canada, Tammy? I just saw in Walmart, all her books for around $6.00.

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) I'm in Saskatchewan - so maybe I'll pick one or two up when I'm doing back to school shopping next week....UGH.

message 7: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I hear ya. I have 3 in school now. Double ugh! Or should I say, triple?

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda C | 4 comments Her trilogy about the Lytton family was really, really good. I think the first one was called "No Angel." It started pre-WWI, then covered probably about 50 years over three books. I don't remember the names of the next two, but I'm sure they would be easy to track down.

I've read a couple of her contemporary books as well, and didn't like them as much. She captures upper-class Edwardian society very well. I read another one recently (which I can't remember the title of...) where a girl unexpectedly inherits money and then is conflicted over her life and marriage. It was also a period piece, which is again is PG's strength. She can really make you wish you, too, had been an upperclass girl during Edwardian/20s and 30s, going to house parties, debutante balls, shooting weekends etc.

Definitely give her period books a try. If you like that genre, you won't be disappointed.

message 9: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I do like that genre! Thanks! Now I feel better about venturing out, and actually buying one.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) I have The Best of Times...I was feeling pretty ambitious at the grocery store one day. Not sure if I'm ever going to read it though because it's one billion pages long.

message 11: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

Ya, they're definatly huge.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda C | 4 comments I'm actually reading The Best of Times now... don't be daunted by it; it is a very easy read. I've read well over 100 pages since yesterday without even really trying. The Lyton trilogy is much more dense, however.

Heather (Let's-Go-Pens-We're-Gonna-Take-This-One) Thanks, that's great to hear.

message 14: by Mishelle, 'The Book Bag' (new)

I need to give one of her books a try here, real soon. I keep vearing 2wards them when I am book shopping, but I have yet to pick one up.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Old Sins (other topics)