Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Spoiler Talk on Books We've Read > Burn by Nevada Barr

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 120 comments I know this just came out, but I was the first to get it from the Library and I've already finished it. Maybe someone got an ARC? However you slice it, I sure would like to discuss this book!

Donna in Southern Maryland

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments I am way down the list at the library so it will be a while for me I am afraid. I am eager to read it, especially since some of my favorite Anna Pigeon books have been set in the deep south. However since New Orleans is pretty urban for Anna and my least favorite in the series was Liberty Falls, (sort of urban in NYC) I am cautiously optimistic I will like this one. I do love books set in New Orleans!

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments I am 15th on the hold list. I think it will be a while before I get it and no guarantee that I will be able to read it when I do. My semester is about to start.

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 120 comments Well, holler when you get to it; I'm sure I'll have forgotten a few things, but I think parts of this one will stick with me for a while.

No spoilers, but I will say, I think it's pretty different than anything else she's written.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Donna:
******* Spoiler alert *******
I finished Burn the other day and it was a mixed bag book for me. It seemed to take me forever to get into it and I was way overdue with it at the library when I finally finished it. The mixed point of view was not conducive to holding my interest and there was not enough Anna in the beginning. Barr finally drew the two story arcs together and I settled in to read. Like Anna I couldn't stand the thought of Clare's children being in the clutches of the men who took them.
Things I liked were the way we studied Clare's transformation into Jordan and how she held on to her sanity (albeit by a thread) as she searched for the girls; and the city of New Orleans as a setting.
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at Anna's husband Paul's being relegated to a phone relationship like her sister Molly has been in so many books, but wonder again how long can that last.
And finally I am always grateful when an author allows her heroine to age gracefully and naturally and continue her quest to, in Anna's case, help the downtrodden and the powerless or innocent.

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 120 comments Spoiler Alert...........

Ann, my memory is fading, eh! But I was most thrown that Jordan was introduced when it seemed Claire had not made her way yet to New Orleans. I went back and looked at it a couple of times. I think that was sloppy editing, or maybe it was the writing. It was a tough one to read, and I'm betting many of Anna's fans were not happy with the subject matter!

Donna

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Donna:
Spoiler Alert...........
I agree that the beginning was a bit confused and I put the book down several times after I had started it so I guess I just didn't think of the two pov story lines to be real time and didn't catch that possible time incongruity. You are right though, I think Anna did "meet" Jordan very early on before we read of Clare's having time to get there. It may have been the way it was written. I am just not a fan of two alternating points of view and Barr does like to employ flashbacks sometimes.

Donna in Southern Maryland wrote: "Ann, my memory is fading, eh! But I was most thrown that Jordan was introduced when it seemed Claire had not made her way yet to New Orleans. I went back and looked at it ..."

message 8: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments I liked the Pigeon's books better with the National Park Service. It made me feel like I was in those parks. I don't care for the direction the books are going lately. Maybe because I read Child's latest right after Barr's that deal with the same subject.

message 9: by Ann (last edited Nov 01, 2010 08:06PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Lorraine:
I agree, Anna's being on "vacation" from her Ranger job did change things in Burn, though it could be said it opened her up for more flexible sleuthing. She even mentioned that she didn't have to worry about rules of evidence when she was breaking into some place I forget what. And Geneva (was that the friend's name she was renting from?) was a Parks Service employee so Barr kept her toe in the NPS water so to speak ;)
It isn't the same thing as being in one of the majestic National Parks though.

Brakedrum wrote: "I liked the Pigeon's books better with the National Park Service. It made me feel like I was in those parks. I don't care for the direction the books are going lately. Maybe because I read Child..."

message 10: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments I started Burn yesterday. Maybe this is a good time to discuss something that bothered me a bit in Winter Study. It's an ongoing issue. I was reminded of it the first time Paul appeared in this book.

Do you think it's appropriate for someone to be both a sheriff and a priest in the same community? Isn't there a separation of church and state problem? Is this allowed by law?

I also have to say that I'm liking this a good deal less than Winter Study, my first Anna Pigeon book. It doesn't have the same dramatic intensity. It's slow. And oddly enough, the portrayal of New Orleans seems off to me. When I compare this to the beautiful job James Lee Burke did with his post-Katrina book, I really have to say this book really suffers by comparison.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Shomeret:
My thoughts would be that it does seem odd, especially with the idea of people needing to be free to discuss things with their priest that they would not discuss with their sheriff. And how would he have time to do both (though that seems to be part of the problem as Anna sees it) It must be either a very small parish, and or a very small jurisdiction over which to be sheriff. A good question for Nevada Barr.

Shomeret wrote: "I started Burn yesterday. Maybe this is a good time to discuss something that bothered me a bit in Winter Study. It's an ongoing issue. I was reminded of it the first time Paul appeared in this book.Do you think it's appropriate for someone to be both a sheriff and a priest in the same community? Isn't there a separation of church and state problem? Is this allowed by law?>/b>..."

Donna in Southern Maryland (cedarville922) | 120 comments Shomeret wrote: "I started Burn yesterday. Maybe this is a good time to discuss something that bothered me a bit in Winter Study. It's an ongoing issue. I was reminded of it the first time Paul appeared in this ..."

Shom, that's a very good question. It never crossed my mind. It occurs tome that Paul lives in a very small Southern town, and the people in those little towns tend to already know everybody else's business anyway. :o)

I hope you'll go back and read some of her earlier books. I particularly like the one set on Dry Tortugas Island. In large part because it mentions Dr. Samuel Mudd, after he was convicted in the Conspiracy to kill Lincoln. Dr. Mudd's house is less than 10 miles from here, and I grew up with some of his relatives. But it's a much better story, IMO.

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Donna: That is one of my favorites too!
Flashback

Donna in Southern Maryland wrote: "I hope you'll go back and read some of her earlier books. I particularly like the one set on Dry Tortugas Island. In large part because it mentions Dr. Samuel Mudd, after he was convicted in the Conspiracy to kill Lincoln. Dr. Mudd's house is less than 10 miles from here, and I grew up with some of his relatives. But it's a much better story, IMO."

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Donna...the Dry Tortugas book was my favorite Anna Pigeon, too. I loved how it went back to the past through the device of the letters, even though Anna having those letters was somewhat implausable.

Shom...I had the same thought about Paul, sherrif and priest. I don't think you would ever see that combo anywhere but here in the south, where the lines are somewhat less distinct. Please don't let Burn turn you off the series, there are many wonderful Pigeon adventures to enjoy, I hope you try another one.

message 15: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3589 comments Shomeret wrote: "I started Burn yesterday. Maybe this is a good time to discuss something that bothered me a bit in Winter Study. It's an ongoing issue. I was reminded of it the first time Paul appeared in this ..."

I haven't read BURN, but I went to school with a girl whose father was a cop and also a minister.

message 16: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1364 comments Burn has improved for me. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER! Last night Clare was unmasked. I knew that it was her some time earlier, but after her identity becomes known she becomes such an amazing character. As someone with some acting training, I wonder if I could pull off something like that or be strong enough to do it after the terrible tragedy in her life. I might be a basket case.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Shom...I loved that twist, too! There is another one in there too but I'm not sure where it is in the storyline,so I'll wait to talk to you about it till you're finished.

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14211 comments Shomeret:
The Clare personalities were a highlight of the book for me too. I found myself wondering how she would pull it off without losing her mind or identity and then Anna would wonder the same thing - fascinating!
Shomeret wrote: "Burn has improved for me. SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER! Last night Clare was unmasked. I knew that it was her some time earlier, but after her identity becomes known she becomes such an amazing character. .."

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flashback (other topics)